What's new

Aftershave samples review

Tabac Original:
Pretty good alcohol bite, no menthol cooling. Even with the strong alcohol it soothes and heals the face nicely. The fragrance is very complex. I could sense some vanilla and even some pepper(?)
The only thing is that it seems a bit too perfumey to me. I really wanted to like this one, but I am still not sure. Odd thing is the wife liked it. I'll have to see if it grows on me. Scent lasts a decent long time. I could smell it at least 10-12 hours later. Even the wife could smell it up close in that time.

Myrsol Aqua Balsamica:
Very herbal aftershave. I think the thyme smell comes out the most, perhaps a little of the rosemary. Didn't really notice the lavender. Nice feel, a little alcohol burn and some cooling effect. I didn't notice any menthol in the ingredients, but perhaps something else causes the cooling. This also smelled like Listerine to me, probably because it also contains thyme. Face felt refreshed after and soft. A little drying on neck, but perhaps that was the new blade I was using. Scent lasted about 5 hours.

Last edited:
I agree with you about the scent of the Agua Balsamica. Don't know if you also have a sample of Myrsol Metisol. I find the scent to be similar, but less overwhelming. Also like the face feel from the Metisol better.

Myrsol Blue:
A small alcohol burn and a decent menthol cooling. Not extreme but you can tell it is there. People might compare this to Floid Blue, but it isn't quite the same. This is a less complex scent and doesn't last as long. Maybe about 4 hours at most. Face did feel soft after, so healing properties are there.

Myrsol K:
Not much alcohol burn in this version. But there is quite a decent cool down. It has a spearmint smell, definitely some mint. So your freeze could be a mixture from menthol and mint. Face felt fresh after, still a little dry on neck. Lasts perhaps 2 hours at most.

I agree with you about the scent of the Agua Balsamica. Don't know if you also have a sample of Myrsol Metisol. I find the scent to be similar, but less overwhelming. Also like the face feel from the Metisol better.
I'll try the Metisol next and see what it's like.

Tabac Original:
Pretty good alcohol bite, no menthol cooling. Even with the strong alcohol it soothes and heals the face nicely. The fragrance is very complex. I could sense some vanilla and even some pepper(?)
The only thing is that it seems a bit too perfumey to me. I really wanted to like this one, but I am still not sure. Odd thing is the wife liked it. I'll have to see if it grows on me. Scent lasts a decent long time. I could smell it at least 10-12 hours later. Even the wife could smell it up close in that time.

This is the aftershave my wife likes. The only one. Out of 50+. Sigh.

The good news is that Tabac may be my favorite overall aftershave, when considering price, scent, face feel and longevity. Wm Neumann beats it in face feel by a bit, but falls short on price. My family loves Tabac.

Myrsol Aqua Balsamica:
Very herbal aftershave. I think the thyme smell comes out the most, perhaps a little of the rosemary. Didn't really notice the lavender. Nice feel, a little alcohol burn and some cooling effect. I didn't notice any menthol in the ingredients, but perhaps something else causes the cooling. This also smelled like Listerine to me, probably because it also contains thyme. Face felt refreshed after and soft. A little drying on neck, but perhaps that was the new blade I was using. Scent lasted about 5 hours.

If I recall correctly, Aqua Balsamica is the only Myrsol without menthol. There's an ingredients chart for all their products you can find online...

Wow. Just got the AS AD so I've just discovered your posts. 9 months of work, I'm impressed and thankfull for your work/obsession. Lots of help for us guys who just caught the bug.

It's been easy to read soap scent descriptions and safely pick soaps I enjoy, but aftershave scent descriptions either don't exist or, are too basic of a description. The ONLY manufacturer who I've seen make a good effort is Pitralon with their Head, Heart, & Basis fragrance pyramid. I don't know why more don't do this.

Wow. Just got the AS AD so I've just discovered your posts. 9 months of work, I'm impressed and thankfull for your work/obsession. Lots of help for us guys who just caught the bug.

It's been easy to read soap scent descriptions and safely pick soaps I enjoy, but aftershave scent descriptions either don't exist or, are too basic of a description. The ONLY manufacturer who I've seen make a good effort is Pitralon with their Head, Heart, & Basis fragrance pyramid. I don't know why more don't do this.
Tabac does something similar on its website. For many classic aftershaves, you can find scent profiles in the reviews on basenotes.net, though many of them are for the EdC/EdT versions.

Understood- Probably my worst AD.

Hope it helps you.

Myrsol Metisol:
At first I thought this was very similar to Agua Balsamica. Very much has the listerine/thyme smell to it. However this one does have menthol with some cool down and a small alcohol burn. Compared next to each other you can smell more of the herbal smell in agua balsamica. This one is more toward listerine.
Lasts maybe 3 hours.

I'd definitely recommend the UHCaptain's ChoiceOH samples.

Also, there's lots of cheap drug store aftershaves that you can get for not much more than the cost of some samples.

Thanks for all the good reviews. I know little about aftershave. Never actually bought any just have what was given me by a relative.

I'd definitely recommend the Captain's Choice samples.

Also, there's lots of cheap drug store aftershaves that you can get for not much more than the cost of some samples.

Captains Choice are really good... Also DS AS nice to try. BTW FTFY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the good reviews. I know little about aftershave. Never actually bought any just have what was given me by a relative.
Your welcome- hope you enjoyed the reviews and that it helps you with a decision. VEZ is right about Drug Store AS. easy to find and pick up. Also Dollar General and Family Dollar nice to find inexpensive surprises.

Top Bottom