What's new

Grandfather's watch - best to keep it wound and running or let it stop?

R

rw3cja

Hello,

So after my Grandfather past away some years ago I was given his watch. From what I can tell, it's a fairly standard Sekonda, 23 jewel wristwatch. I have no idea how old it is, but it is in good condition and I can't imagine it's all that old.

Anyway, my question is this. I do not currently wear this watch on a daily basis, but I do use it from time to time. It's nice to know that it still works; that I can wind it up and wear my Grandad's old watch. Given that I do not really use it all that much at all, is it best to wind the watch daily and keep it ticking, all the parts moving etc, or to leave it until I actually use it and only wind it then?

I don't know how this works, but I would hate for it to ever 'seize up' from lack of use, or, on the other hand, wear out from over use.

I would love to hear your opinion on this and would be very grateful to anyone who can give me some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

I used to use a watch winder with my automatic watches, but that actually is more damaging to the movement because it wears the parts faster, so I quit using it.

Is it an automatic or manual winding?

Personally, I don't wind my watches on a daily basis, be my automatics or my manual winding. I just feel it puts undue stress on the movement.

I love manual winding watches. The good thing is that you can probably get a lot of power out of that 23 jewels movement. I would not worry much, those are workhorse movements.

But again, a good service would be a good thing. They are usually good for at least 5 years.

Let me give you an example, I have a Bulova Senator, very old, and have not been serviced probably in twenty years. I can wind it and voila, still ticking without a glitch and without losing but about 1 second, that's a movement.

Last edited:
R

rw3cja

I love manual winding watches. The good thing is that you can probably get a lot of power out of that 23 jewels movement. I would not worry much, those are workhorse movements.

But again, a good service would be a good thing. They are usually good for at least 5 years.

Let me give you an example, I have a Bulova Senator, very old, and have not been serviced probably in twenty years. I can wind it and voila, still ticking without a glitch and without losing but about 1 second, that's a movement.

Thanks for your help. It's good to hear that the watch should be going for a little while yet! I'll look into getting it serviced like you suggested.

Cheers!

If it's an heirloom, I would only wind it up when it's actually going to be worn and use it at least a few times a year. Keeping the watch running is just going to put additional wear on the parts within the movement. A service is a good idea even if it's keeping good time now. With a service, the movement is disassembled and each part is cleaned and then oiled prior to reassembly. Over time, the lubricating oil will move and harden, so if you don't have the watch serviced somewhat regularly, the parts will wear out more quickly due to lack of lubrication. And sometimes replacement parts can be difficult to get. If it uses an older Russian made Poljot 2209 movement, that could be a nice wristwatch that's worth taking care of. Does it say USSR or CCCP on the dial anywhere? After the break up of the Soviet Union, Sekonda used primarily Chinese movements, which at least right now are probably not as desirable or collectible as the Russian movements.

The lubricants in a watch do exactly what the lubricants in your automobile do and those lubricants dry out and lose effectiveness over time.

Imagine driving a car that hasn't had an oil change or been driven in several years. Not a good idea. Same notion here. So, if you value the watch, get it serviced.

A good watchmaker will clean, adjust and lubricate at a minimum. If the watch is seriously neglected, that may involve an overhaul where the watch is dissassembled and reassembled; cleaning and relubricating every moving part. A good watchmaker will also adjust the timing and check things like water-resistance (seals on water resistant watches dry out and become ineffective over time).

Jewels are used at key pivot points to reduce friction. They have nothing to do with power reserve.

After you have had the watch serviced, it will run better if you wind it regularly, as that will keep the lubricants moving over the pivot points they are lubricating. In other words, the lubricants will do their job better if the watch is running. It will not cause premature wear UNLESS the watch was damaged, the pivot points were severely worn out or if the lubricants have dried or evaporated. Most watches will be lubricated with several different oils each specifically designed for different parts (varied visocities and other characteristics). The amounts of oil used are really small, but so are those pivots.

Friction on pivot points can cause excessive wear that leads to looseness that might not be repairable. Hence, the need for service. Cheaper watches might have materials that are more prone to wear (lower quality metals, less precision in machining or assembly). But, a well serviced watch generally can outlast its original owner.

I am not a watchmaker. But, in a past life, I ran the national service center for a very large luxury watch retailer and I had 35 or more watchmakers on my staff. We performed millions in warranty and out of warranty service on new and vintage watches every year.

A neglected watch is not much different than a neglected car -- even with a very fine and expensive watch or car.

Also, consider that there are two factors your car probably doesn't face. Once is that the pressure involved are much greater because you are dealing with tiny, almost microscopic surface areas. Consider how much surface area something like an axle joint in your car has versus a pivot for the balance wheel in your watch. Then, too, consider that your watch could run 24 hours a day year round; something you would never do with a car. So the advice above about service every five years is well put.

Last edited:
R

rw3cja

If it's an heirloom, I would only wind it up when it's actually going to be worn and use it at least a few times a year. Keeping the watch running is just going to put additional wear on the parts within the movement. A service is a good idea even if it's keeping good time now. With a service, the movement is disassembled and each part is cleaned and then oiled prior to reassembly. Over time, the lubricating oil will move and harden, so if you don't have the watch serviced somewhat regularly, the parts will wear out more quickly due to lack of lubrication. And sometimes replacement parts can be difficult to get. If it uses an older Russian made Poljot 2209 movement, that could be a nice wristwatch that's worth taking care of. Does it say USSR or CCCP on the dial anywhere? After the break up of the Soviet Union, Sekonda used primarily Chinese movements, which at least right now are probably not as desirable or collectible as the Russian movements.

It says USSR on the face, right at the bottom.

Get a good service and let it run. That is what it was designed to do. I think it is better to run it than to have it sitting around. Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

R

rw3cja

The lubricants in a watch do exactly what the lubricants in your automobile do and those lubricants dry out and lose effectiveness over time.

Imagine driving a car that hasn't had an oil change or been driven in several years. Not a good idea. Same notion here. So, if you value the watch, get it serviced.

A good watchmaker will clean, adjust and lubricate at a minimum. If the watch is seriously neglected, that may involve an overhaul where the watch is dissassembled and reassembled; cleaning and relubricating every moving part. A good watchmaker will also adjust the timing and check things like water-resistance (seals on water resistant watches dry out and become ineffective over time).

Jewels are used at key pivot points to reduce friction. They have nothing to do with power reserve.

After you have had the watch serviced, it will run better if you wind it regularly, as that will keep the lubricants moving over the pivot points they are lubricating. In other words, the lubricants will do their job better if the watch is running. It will not cause premature wear UNLESS the watch was damaged, the pivot points were severely worn out or if the lubricants have dried or evaporated. Most watches will be lubricated with several different oils each specifically designed for different parts (varied visocities and other characteristics). The amounts of oil used are really small, but so are those pivots.

Friction on pivot points can cause excessive wear that leads to looseness that might not be repairable. Hence, the need for service. Cheaper watches might have materials that are more prone to wear (lower quality metals, less precision in machining or assembly). But, a well serviced watch generally can outlast its original owner.

I am not a watchmaker. But, in a past life, I ran the national service center for a very large luxury retailer and I had 35 or more watchmakers on my staff.

A neglected watch is not much different than a neglected car -- even with a very fine and expensive watch or car.

Also, consider that there are two factors your car probably doesn't face. Once is that the pressure involved are much greater because you are dealing with tiny, almost microscopic surface areas. Consider how much surface area something like an axle joint in your car has versus a pivot for the balance wheel in your watch. Then, too, consider that your watch could run 24 hours a day year round; something you would never do with a car. So the advice above about service every five years is well put.

That's brilliant, thanks for your help. A good service is needed then.

Opinions certainly do vary on whether or not to wind an unworn watch. I think it's probably true that if you have the watch serviced every 4 to 5 years religiously, then it's probably fine to just keep the watch running. However, I think when you get the bill for the first service, religiously servicing the watch probably isn't going to happen. The synthetic lubricants used in a watch have fairly long shelf lives, even when in contact with metal, and I'm of the opinion that a service isn't required as frequently if the watch is just sitting instead of running. I'm also of the opinion that it's useful to run the watch occasionally so the lubricants are spread around the pivots. But like I said, opinions do vary on the subject and this is one of those subjects that is somewhat hotly debated on the watch forums. If your Grandfather's watch has USSR printed on the dial, that would date the watch to the early 1990's at the latest, and I would guess that it probably uses a Poljot 2209 movement. It's a nice watch, and the fact that it was owned by your Grandfather makes it something really special. Wear it in good health and I hope it inspires good memories of your Grandfather.

A good service is all that's needed. Watch lubricant is designed to coat and not settle, so having it running all the time is not necessary. Posting a picture would be great as well. I'd love to see it.

It's no detriment to the movement's life to allow the watch to sit, not running between times it is worn. It's not beneficial to run a watch constantly for no reason.

oh, yeah; I forgot: as tube-guy says, WEAR IT IN GOOD HEALTH! That's the important part. he's right!

It's no detriment to the movement's life to allow the watch to sit, not running between times it is worn. It's not beneficial to run a watch constantly for no reason.

days or weeks or even months are okay for sure. letting it sit for years, maybe not so much.

pun intended (and not): watches are made to run around the clock!

modern automotive engine oils are better than they have ever been (reliability, functionality, longevity, etc). modern engines are machined with greater precision than ever before. most manufacturers probably recommend oil changes at somewhere from 5,000 to 10,000 mile intervals. picky folks might do oil changes at 3,000 miles. perhaps cars and modern oils are so good that you could run a car for 50,000 or 100,000 miles without an oil change. the question is: would you???

also, conditions matter. a watch stored in a temperature-controlled situation might need service less often than one stored somewhere that experiences excessively hot conditions or wild temperature swings.

folks, please don't consider me to be argumentative on this topic. I am an amateur now, but I was a professional for many years. I was the director of an operation where the buck stopped with me when there were customer complaints. I have seen things that the average watch owner or collector would never see in a lifetime. a $20K Blancpain run over by a car. a $30K Girard Perregaux dropped from seven feet onto a hard tile floor. Brand new Rolexes that sat for years under hot display lights in showcases that baked the oil to uselessness. Patek Philippes from 50, 60, 80, 100 years ago that ran like new and others that were so worn out from neglect that even Patek couldn't repair them. I have seen repair bills for a single watch reaching to many thousands of dollars.

Opinions certainly do vary on whether or not to wind an unworn watch. I think it's probably true that if you have the watch serviced every 4 to 5 years religiously, then it's probably fine to just keep the watch running. However, I think when you get the bill for the first service, religiously servicing the watch probably isn't going to happen. The synthetic lubricants used in a watch have fairly long shelf lives, even when in contact with metal, and I'm of the opinion that a service isn't required as frequently if the watch is just sitting instead of running. I'm also of the opinion that it's useful to run the watch occasionally so the lubricants are spread around the pivots. But like I said, opinions do vary on the subject and this is one of those subjects that is somewhat hotly debated on the watch forums. If your Grandfather's watch has USSR printed on the dial, that would date the watch to the early 1990's at the latest, and I would guess that it probably uses a Poljot 2209 movement. It's a nice watch, and the fact that it was owned by your Grandfather makes it something really special. Wear it in good health and I hope it inspires good memories of your Grandfather.

This is the main reason why I downsized my watch collection. The maintenance cost can get up there for sure. But, that's what comes with owning luxury watches with or without complications. The way I look at it is if I spend all that $$$$$$$ on a watch then I could afford to pay for the maintenance.

I got rid of the pieces that were sitting in the safe and just kept the ones I was using the most.

I am wearing right now a Eloga watch, a brand of which I know nothing about. It is labeled a 17 jewel Swiss movement, shock and water resistant. I can attest to the water resistant part, as my wife found it while wading in the Dead Sea while we were on a tour to Israel in 1974. No one knew anything about it so we kept it, only rinsing it in fresh water. It's a rather plain model, polished stainless or chrome case, and a non luminous dial looking like spun or brushed metal. My battery died in the other watch so I pulled it out last week wound it and put it on, and it's working fine, never has been serviced.

Top Bottom