What's new

Are we grail knights?

... I've been DE shaving for a few years now, and never settled on a particular soap, blade or razor for more than a few weeks. And I think I enjoy the never ending quest too much to settle. Is there even a grail?...
I do think there is a grail but most of the time we are so eager to find it that we don't see it right in front of us.

I noticed that I had a technique problem when I settled on only one razor for 18 months - the Feather AS-D1 allowed sloppy behaviour while delivering stellar shaves. I have since found my razor grail in two lines of vintage Gillettes - the 3 piece and the TTOs. In hindsight this seems obvious, the time and effort put into the construction of these razors is still unparallelled in shaving history.

The grail in brushes still eludes me, even though I have about 20 brushes in my rotation. I might be on to something though: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/441137-How-to-choose-a-nice-brush .

The soap part of the grail is clear to me after 128 consecutive shaves on a Wilkinson NOS blade: Mystic Water soaps as puck or stick, because of the performance paired with post shave feeling and heavenly scents. Totally unclear about what scent to choose though. :001_smile

$81100-Monthy-Python-Frenchman-LOL-gi-La4R.gif

Irish Spring bar soap. $4 for 3 bars, 6 oz each.
Either Feather AS-D2 or iKon OC.
Any brand of razor blade. Any, but cheap is good.
70% isopropyl alcohol for aftershave.

Done. No need to search further. The grail has been found, and the results posted on the Internet. You can go home now.

Done. No need to search further. The grail has been found, and the results posted on the Internet. You can go home now.

April fools? The Irish spring soap is semi drying to me, and does not sound very slick. Rubbing alcohol? Well then.

$HeChosePoorly.jpg

I'd guess I'm getting close-ish ...,

Not one soap, but definitely one brand - B&M
One Razor ... I have six razors currently, and PIFed one to my son ... I have, for the past four to five months, consistently reached for my New SC ... I have no desire to use anything else at the moment.
A/S - I thought I had just one, Clubman Vanilla, but then I got Stirling Sharp Dressed Man in a PIF, and the future Mrs. loves it, so I use it too.
Blades - Two ... Voskhods and Astra (greens) ...
Brush ... not yet ... I have a badger, a boar and a synthetic. Closest I have to a single brush is my Semogue boar, but I'm trying to use my synthetic more to get it broken in and see if I enjoy it. At this point I lust after a Wolf Whiskers brush, and if I can settle on a handle/color and boar knot, I might be done.

Being a fan of B&M means I'll always have a variety of soaps to choose from though, so that may be cheating

The Journey is the Grail.

This

I tell myself I'm looking for that perfect combination of razor, blade, soap/cream, technique, etc that will yield a perfect shave every time, but I think it's like my search for the perfect set of golf clubs.....there is no perfect and if there was I'd probably be disappointed that the search was over. I have at least determined that I greatly prefer certain things so now I can search more wisely, but I cannot abandon the quest as it's too much fun.

I think that, eventually, I will settle on a single DE razor. I doubt I will EVER stick with one cologne exclusively, as these are the purview of SWMBO (if she likes it, I buy it). As for Straights, I may settle on a particular type, but I think I will end up with a few of that type to rotate through, with one being a favourite for special occasions.

Oh, who am I kidding . . . I want as MANY GRAILS as I can GET.

DINGO: Oh, wicked, bad, naughty Zoot! She has been setting alight
to our beacon, which, I just remembered, is grail-shaped. It's not the
first time we've had this problem.

GALAHAD: It's not the real Grail?

Top Bottom