What's new

Current Tallow-Based Soaps???

Ok, so I read the sticky at the top of this forum, but is the information there still accurate? I visited (for example) AOS's website to check out there soap, and it lists it as glycerin-based. So, I guess my question is this....beyond MWF and Tabac, which soaps are still tallow-based???

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ok, so I read the sticky at the top of this forum, but is the information there still accurate? I visited (for example) AOS's website to check out there soap, and it lists it as glycerin-based. So, I guess my question is this....beyond MWF and Tabac, which soaps are still tallow-based???

Penhaligon's current version has some tallow in it, but not nearly as much as the old version. They are reformulating (again) to remove all animal-product traces from their shave soap (and have already done so to all their other products.)

DR Harris soaps have tallow ... I don't remember if it's mostly tallow, or just partially (like the current Pen's).

I worked for 9 years in a packing house and once a day I had to go back to the loading dock and dump huge wheel barrows into the back of a garbage type truck............fat, bones, everything that didn't or couldn't be used in a hot dog LOL......they hauled it off to the rendering factory and I believe that is where tallow comes from!
Never used a tallow based shaving soap but if it works it works!!

I worked for 9 years in a packing house and once a day I had to go back to the loading dock and dump huge wheel barrows into the back of a garbage type truck............fat, bones, everything that didn't or couldn't be used in a hot dog LOL......they hauled it off to the rendering factory and I believe that is where tallow comes from!

Yup. My great grandfather was a butcher, and the tallow-man would make regular stops for his scraps.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Well, it is rendered, by heat, and separated from the other stuff that is not tallow and then finally chemically altered/processed in the saponification process. I don't see anything there that would bother me.

Top Bottom