What's new

Hookah Suggestions?

Hey all, does anyone have suggestions on a good hookah to purchase? I had one back 5-6 years ago that I used fairly regularly for a while, I want to say it was a Mya QT, but after not cleaning it and letting it set for a while, it got pretty gross and I ended up tossing it (probably a mistake in retrospect).

My wife and I were talking last night about how we'd like to get another one as we both enjoy smoking it on occasion.

Looking through some old threads I know that Blade Boy and Slash McCoy have some hookah experience (especially Slash, I love seeing the on-ship photos!).

I like the idea of the Hobohookah and the fact that you can run it through the dish washer, but I've seen some things saying the performance isn't the greatest.

I'd like something with an open draw. I'm an avid vaper and am very fond of direct lung hits, I have a feeling I'd prefer to smoke a hookah in the same fashion.

So, what are good makes and models? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on one (B&B has spawned enough other money consuming hobbies!) but I don't want a cheap piece of junk either.

Thanks folks!

Yeah, from what I've read Syria and Lebanon make the best ones. I definitely don't want one from China. Mya's website is a bit ambiguous as to where they're made.

I saw that Hobo hookah the other day, seems really cool. I'd likely buy one of those if I was in the market today.

Some years ago I bought a somewhat large generic cheap dual-hose one on eBay. I think it was made in Egypt but I'm not sure. Craftsmanship is sloppy with obvious flaws but it's fully functional and pleasant to look at despite its flaws. It smokes well. Draw is very open and it makes tons of smoke. I usually keep one hose nipple plugged off and pass the hose. Some day I should retrofit some sort of check valve...

If the Hobo were cheaper, I'd go that route without question, but for the price, there are a lot of other hookahs that seem to be well regarded.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a pretty standard egyptian style. It's not any particular brand name, but works very well non the less. Having a wide hose, like a Nammor, will vastly improve a hookahs performance. I also have been using both the Vortex and Phunnel bowls, and like them better than the standard style. The other thing I added is a Hebba Defuser. It is supposed to break up the bubbles in the base, and cool the smoke more, but I just like that it is quieter.

Just avoid the Chinese made hookahs, and you should be alright.

My wife bought the hookah for me as a gift years ago, I think she ordered it from Hookah Company. Almost everything else I've gotten from Hookah-Shisha.com.

Last edited:
I have a pretty standard egyptian style. It's not any particular brand name, but works very well non the less. Having a wide hose, like a Nammor, will vastly improve a hookahs performance. I also have been using both the Vortex and Phunnel bowls, and like them better than the standard style. The other thing I added is a Hebba Defuser. It is supposed to break up the bubbles in the base, and cool the smoke more, but I just like that it is quieter.

Just avoid the Chinese made hookahs, and you should be alright.

My wife bought the hookah for me as a gift years ago, I think she ordered it from Hookah Company. Almost everything else I've gotten from Hookah-Shisha.com.

Is there anything u don't smoke? Lol

I ended up ordering a Kahlil Mamoon Kahlil Plus last night. Seems to be toward the bottom of the KM range, but from what I've read is a very good smoker.

With the thoughts of hookah in my head, my wife and I are off to the nearby "big" city for some Lebanese for dinner and a stop at the hookah lounge.

How about dokha? Came across that while researching hookah stuff. Seems like a mixture of smoking a pipe and smoking crack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dokha

Dokha (Arabic: dokha, "Vertigo") is an Iranian tobacco blend, consisting of finely shredded tobacco mixed with leaves, bark and herbs. The tobacco product is popular in the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, and other Middle Eastern countries. Dokha comes in many strengths and flavors, and can also be flavored with a variety of fruits.

That sounds really nice, actually.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dokha has a longer and surprisingly coherent (considering it's on UD) description that names the type of pipe you use and describes the buzz you get. Not sure I'm into that, sounds like way too much nicotine.

http://www.medwakh.com/what-is-dokha

Dokha tobacco, a type of tobacco found only in the Gulf region of the Middle East, is extremely high in nicotine content, and is harvested, dried, and processed with that feature in mind.

...oh. Nevermind. No nic-sick for me, thank you very much. I'm a lightweight.

The fact that "dokha" is the Arabic word for vertigo is probably indicative of the experience.

Still... there's a small part of me that wants to try it.

Well, my curiosity got the best of me, I ordered some dokha and a medwakh. Apparently some of this stuff can be pretty gnarly, one account that I read included a guy passing out and pissing himself. Nothing that I ordered is that strong, should be interesting though! :lol:

I'll definitely post some pictures when my order comes in as well as some thoughts on the experience. I got a range of tobaccos from a "cold" blend (least potent/harsh) to a hot, and a couple warms in between.

Hopefully the fact that I enjoy some very high nicotine snus will bode well for me in trying this. Still... I'm a little apprehensive.

Top Bottom