What's new

The best Scotch, Bourbon, and Whiskey for a beginner

Is it just me or is Makers Mark a bit over hyped. I know that taste is subjective and I'm not a big straight whiskey drinker but when enjoying a cigar I like one on the rocks or a good Old Fashioned. I not impressed with Makers, in the same price range I think Pendleton is better.

Its just you. :001_smile Makers is a great mid-level whiskey. I am currently working on a bottle of Makers 46. Really good. Pendleton is also wonderful but I would have to very slightly give the nod to Makers.

Is it just me or is Makers Mark a bit over hyped. I know that taste is subjective and I'm not a big straight whiskey drinker but when enjoying a cigar I like one on the rocks or a good Old Fashioned. I not impressed with Makers, in the same price range I think Pendleton is better.

It's not just you. Everything I read led me to believe that I'd love it. I didn't like it at all.

I should probably give it another try one of these days, though.

MM is good, but I agree that it might be somewhat overrated.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but it is nothing special.
Likewise Buffalo Trace. It's good, but not stellar.

But I am not normally big on bourbon. SWMBO normally comments that it tastes like gasoline.
We tend to gravitate more to rye or Irish Whiskey, but occasionally some Bulleit Bourbon, or Gentleman Jack (I know, not a true bourbon, and surprising, I don't care for Old#7).
On overrated rye, I'd put Templeton there. It is a very good rye. It is not worth $10 more than Bulleit.

We were pleasantly surprised that Jesse James bourbon, at $12, was QUITE drinkable.

Makers is definitely overpriced for what it is. It is definitely a very mild wheated bourbon that acts as a great entry for new people, but there are definitely significantly better bourbons out there for the same price (and oftentimes cheaper) than Makers.

Old Grand Dad BIB is a fantastic bourbon at its price point ($18 here in Chicago) and Old Grand Dad 114 is even better at around the same price as Makers. Wild Turkey 101 is my other go-to daily pour along with OGD114.

As for Scotch, I am big into Islay malts so Laphroaig Cask Strength is my favorite but definitely not a place to start for a newbie to Scotch. As mentioned before, Glenmorangie is a great starting point. If deep, smokey Scotch sounds appealing to you, I recommend trying a cheaper Islay malt before making the jump to the $50+ bottles of Laphoraig, Ardbeg, and Lagavulin.

Last edited:
Bourbons:
Beer Barrel
- especially since you've been a beer guy your whole drinking career, this is actually distilled in oak beer barrells from New Holland Brewing. Yes it's a brewing company, but man is this bourbon tasty!
Basil Hayden - because it's awesome and lighter flavored. On the other end of the flavor spectrum is Woodford Reserve.

Scotch:
Oban 12 year - Try a single malt.

Rum
Zaya - seriously, this is not your captain morgan type of rum. Really good stuff. Drink it from a snifter, like cognac, with just a small splash of water. You can taste the sugar cane a bit. Good stuff.

I stick to bourbon and would highly recommend Four Roses Single Barrel. Excellent when near or chilled with a single rock.

I saw where others said it's just you, but it isn't; Makers' Mark is definitely overhyped. It is a hipsters' bourbon, imo. It always seems to be the first bourbon that people who want to act like they know about bourbons suggest to people. I have been drinking bourbon for 30+ years and 10 years seriously and it's way down on my list.

Overhyped maybe, but Makers was the first decent bourbon I ever had after choking on cheap stuff for the first years of my drinking "career". I'd imagine others have a similar story. After trying Makers and realizing bourbon could be good, I was able to try others. Makers 46 is delicious by the way.

And the same way, I'd recommend Glenlivet 12 for scotch. Maybe it is a bit overhyped, but for me, it was the first scotch I had that allowed me to realize I liked the stuff and try more. I can't tell you the last time I bought a bottle of it since consistently exploring other brands, but it is still a good bet to be available at even the worst bar and far from a bad choice.

Woodford Reserve is a decent bourbon. Single malt, there is only one - The Macallen 25 Year. Once I had a taste it ruined every other single malt for me.

Last edited:
Woodford Reserve is my favorite Bourbon i can afford on a regular basis. My favorite scotch I can readily afford is Glenfiddich 12.
I did pick up a bottle of JW black 100 anniversary a couple years ago that i really liked.

Highland Park 12 is a nice approachable island malt, but I've found Bunnahabhain even better. Peaty and warming, but without that disinfectant taste of many island malts. If you can find it in the US, try it.

Bourbon list

1) Pappy van Winkle ( hard to find but there isn't a close second....really, really, special)
2) Four Roses single barrel
3) Blantons

Scotch (stay away from blends, true gentleman drink single malt!)

1) the Balvenie double wood 12 year
2) Talisker 12 year
3) Glenmorangie 18 year extremely rare

do not mix any of these fine whiskies with anything (drink them neat or if you absolutely want to experiment add a single cube of ice) cheers!

Top Bottom