What's new

Newbie Question About My Technique

So yesterdays shave was the first one on a straight. I shaved 5 o'clock shadow which I think is pretty significant growth compared to some folk. I guess that brings up the first question: Is it easier to shave a long beard or a short one?

Second, I had some "chatter" problems. I use Cella so I'm pretty sure the lather was good. Is this a matter of being "too light"? I tried very had to come in at a low angle and that seemed to help but not always. I may try some olive oil next time. I am also a "before shower shaver" which I get is not as good for having a softer beard but it works for me (or did with DE anyway).

And lastly, I watched some videos last night and in all of them the person wiped the blade in between passes - I ran mine under the faucet. Does that even matter?

Hey LBussy,

First off, welcome to the world of SR shaving.

I know some people shave every single days, then there are those that shave every couple. I tend to shave M-F, and usually took Sat & Sun off. My Monday shave, typically is a nice shave. I don't know if it is due to the extra day off, or what, but I typically like Monday's shave. The other reason I have considered is I have a day off for my face to heal/relax/whatever.

The "chatter" problem is something I had early on too - or at least I think I am talking about the same thing. I found it was due to a number of things, at least for me, in my routine. Even though I felt like I was keeping a shallow angle, I wasn't. Or at least I wasn't keeping a shallow angle consistently through the shave. I was able to help this by using shorter strokes, instead of trying to do one long swipe. As you get better, you can start to lengthen the stroke. Another thing that contributed to the "chatter" was indeed the lather. I realized, with the help of others, that SR shaving lather is/can be different than what you may use for DE shaving. The thinner, wetter, slicker, sloppier (however you want to classify it) lather is really, really, really (did I say really :lol:) helpful, almost necessary, in SR shaving.

As for you "before shower shaving". I think you can get away with this, provided you do a good prep job. Make sure you get those whiskers hydrated in some way. A nice way to do this would be to soak your soap for a bit. Pour some of that soapy residue in your palms and rub it into your whiskers. Go off and strop your razor. Come back and maybe put a bit more in your palms and rub it in again. Get the rest of your stuff ready. Depending on how you lather, face/bowl, load over a bowl catching some of that proto-lather. Once you are done loading, rub a bit more into your whiskers. By this time, your whiskers should be pretty well hydrated, plus you should have a nice slick base for you lathering.

Rinse or wipe. When I first started SR shaving, I rinsed each time I needed to clear the blade. Then I whacked it on the faucet, necessitating a trip to a honemeister. At this point, I got a lot of advice in getting a sponge. Since then I have been using the sponge. What I do is wet the sponge and put it on the side of my sink basin (outside of the basin as i don't want to whack the blade again). When the blade need to be cleared I just wipe it off on the sponge. I really like it, and I haven't even come close to having an issue since.

Lastly, keep the journal going. The guys in this part of the forum are fantastic. They have tons of knowledge, and share it freely.

I hope this has helped...

Hey LBussy congrats on the first shave. I think Rob has you covered on most of your questions, not much more to add there. Regarding wiping or rinsing between passes, both are fine. But beware the sink monster, if you choose to continue to rinse. I would recommend only rinsing with the edge down, so that when you inadvertently tap the faucet, which will happen, you tap the spine and don't damage the shaving edge. If you choose to try wiping your blade, many of us use one of those big yellow sponges. I cut mine in half do to limited counter space. Either way, be careful to avoid getting water and lather in the razor pivot.

Good luck.

Rob and Larry, thank you very much.

I thought there was going to be some "the minerals in the tap water as they come out of the faucet ruin the edge so you use a Japanese Wickywacki sponge to align the chi" answer. :blushing:

Today will be my second try I think and also first go at stropping. From here on it's all my fault.

Thanks again for the replies and the encouragement!

Okay today I tried a few new things (now I see why people keep journals! Will have to star tone). I used olive oil to soften up my face after a brief wash. I was a little more religious about my Cella prep, I used a counted number of strokes with a dead rat to get my lather rather than winging it. Pretty sure I saw on a tag line that the dead rat is preferred. :thumbup1:

I also tried out the crox on balsa and the strop (no prep before the first time). While I was not able to tree-top any arm hairs, shaving arm hairs went very well so I felt pretty good there. Also added the sponge to the arsenal. Someone made a comment somewhere about being cool to see all the hairs on the foam on the sponge. I'm sure that person has more dark hairs than gray ... I sadly do not.

I all in all it went pretty well. My alum bar had a little more bite to it than with my DE but no blood that I can see. Lest I jinx myself I think I might almost say I got a DFS.

I'll probably make one of those journal threads so I can find myself later, but I'm pretty stoked, thanks for the tips all!

I thought there was going to be some "the minerals in the tap water as they come out of the faucet ruin the edge so you use a Japanese Wickywacki sponge to align the chi" answer. :blushing:

No, these are pretty low tech tools that have been used for a long long time by men who thought a heck of a lot less about them than some of us do. Some of the esoteric mumbo jumbo in the honing subforum may make it seem like there's other "magic" to beware of, but for now (and ever), don't worry about that and enjoy your shaves however best suites you.

So you've been made aware of the Japanese Wickywacki sponge? You're already advanced! My chi is not aligned for reasons beyond wetshaving, but it sounds like you're headed the right direction!

One piece of advise as some who started shaving with a straight in 2014: make sure your stropping technique is good. I rounded a few edges thinking I knew what I was doing. Slow down, get it right, and you'll be thrilled.

Welcome. This is a great place to be.

So yesterdays shave was the first one on a straight. I shaved 5 o'clock shadow which I think is pretty significant growth compared to some folk. I guess that brings up the first question: Is it easier to shave a long beard or a short one?

Usually a shorter one is easier on the edge than a longer one, but the difference is probably too little to even worry about. If it's excessively long, trim it down with a trimmer before the shave. It'll save you a little wear on the blade and cleanup afterward. As I'm prone to ingrown hairs, I let mine grow out once a month (enough to clear the skin surface and be noticeable) before I shave it again.

Second, I had some "chatter" problems. I use Cella so I'm pretty sure the lather was good. Is this a matter of being "too light"? I tried very had to come in at a low angle and that seemed to help but not always. I may try some olive oil next time. I am also a "before shower shaver" which I get is not as good for having a softer beard but it works for me (or did with DE anyway).

I find that 'chatter' is often caused when strokes are either too long or the angle of the blade is too steep. As far as 'too light', the weight of the razor will do the work for you. Don't add much, if any, pressure. Shower prep is fine.

And lastly, I watched some videos last night and in all of them the person wiped the blade in between passes - I ran mine under the faucet. Does that even matter?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Many roads lead to Rome. I'm a faucet man. One caveat: make sure the edge is turned down and away from the faucet head. Dinging the edge is not a pretty thing.

Congrats on the first two shaves! Looking forward to the journal starting, there are many of us who really like reading and posting in our own and others journals. You'll get great tips and advice that way very often.

Top Bottom