What's new

Bootcut jeans

I lost about 9 kg this year (and still dropping) and need to replace a big portion of my wardrobe. The jeans I wore were usually straight cut but it seems that straight is a lot narrower now than it was a few years ago. With the current fashion of skinny and carrot shaped jeans with designer pockets and wear, I felt the urge to go back to what I wore in the late nineties. Classic bootcut jeans without strange fiddly things.

I ordered a pair of new Levis 517's on the bay and they fit me as if they were taylor made. (it was also the model that I had in the past). I know I am Lucky to get a pair of Levi's (which can not be returned cheaply) that fit excellently as their sizing is known to be all over the place.

This week, I went into town to get something similar but it's nowadays really difficult to find anything which is not amazingly hip or dull. I am at the dead centre of those but do like to separate myself from the crowd.

Online it's also quite difficult if I do not want designer worn jeans so I ordered another pair (different colour and vendor) on the bay and hope they fit as well as the first pair.

Am I the only bootcut wearer wo does not wear boots?

Personally, I think that boot cut jeans look a bit dated, unless worn for practicality's sake. Wearing actual boots underneath them help fill out the extra denim, otherwise they can look awkwardly baggy below the knee (depending on how flared the cut is that is).

Try maybe slim straight jeans? Slimmer cut, but still straight leg, so they are roomy. Levi's has tons of cuts in their jeans.

And congrats on the weight loss!

Boot-cut jeans look weird, and kind of always have, unless you're actually wearing boots. Anyone over 24 should just switch to a regular cut. Skinny jeans suck, but Levi's "regular" or "straight" cuts are great.

I used to hate regular-cut jeans because they felt too restrictive. But then I started reading up on how to treat denim to get a good fit. Stop washing them regularly and just let them air out, rotating pairs. Now I go months between, and they fit and look great. And no, they don't smell.

Just get some Levi's 505's. No frills and economical.

I can live with straight cut jeans but I like the subtle flared bottoms of a bootcut a lot more, even on sneakers.

As always, individual opinions on fashion vary, but a picture is worth a thousand words. Some people think they look better with a mullet, that doesn't mean they actually do. :001_tt2:

I strictly wear bootcut jeans. I love the way they fit and they look good with boots or a pair of sneakers, or some rainbows in the summer.

I like Wrangler Cowboy Cut jeans. They are a cut to fit over boots but work just as well with regular shoes.

Is there a Carhartt store near you?

They are the only jeans which I have bought in the past few years- I have a few different models and quite a few pairs of jeans.

I find these discussions over jeans both boring and fascinating as it provides insight on how my enjoyment of watches, razors, and pocket knives must seem to other people.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Bootcut jeans ...

proxy.php
proxy.php

... unfortunately in the minds of many have been relegated to "what chicks wear".

It ain't right and it ain't fair ... but buyer beware.

Every 5-10 years they seem to come back into style. I don't think we are quite repeating the part of the 90s and early 2000s where bootcut is back. We still seem to be in the skinny jean phase, or at least a straight cut. Personally I like the way bootcut jeans look but I can accept straight cut. I just can't get on board with the skinny jeans. I also don't think it is a good look for a guy over 30.

IMO the best jeans to buy are the ones that look best on you regardless of the current style trends.

I lost about 9 kg this year (and still dropping) and need to replace a big portion of my wardrobe. The jeans I wore were usually straight cut but it seems that straight is a lot narrower now than it was a few years ago. With the current fashion of skinny and carrot shaped jeans with designer pockets and wear, I felt the urge to go back to what I wore in the late nineties. Classic bootcut jeans without strange fiddly things.

I ordered a pair of new Levis 517's on the bay and they fit me as if they were taylor made. (it was also the model that I had in the past). I know I am Lucky to get a pair of Levi's (which can not be returned cheaply) that fit excellently as their sizing is known to be all over the place.

This week, I went into town to get something similar but it's nowadays really difficult to find anything which is not amazingly hip or dull. I am at the dead centre of those but do like to separate myself from the crowd.

Online it's also quite difficult if I do not want designer worn jeans so I ordered another pair (different colour and vendor) on the bay and hope they fit as well as the first pair.

Am I the only bootcut wearer wo does not wear boots?
One of my fave cuts are boot cut, along with low rise, slim and flare. I wear my Timb boots or bigger clogs slips with my boot cuts, but half the time i may wear my sneakers too, dont matter i just like the boot cut style.

Every 5-10 years they seem to come back into style. I don't think we are quite repeating the part of the 90s and early 2000s where bootcut is back. We still seem to be in the skinny jean phase, or at least a straight cut. Personally I like the way bootcut jeans look but I can accept straight cut. I just can't get on board with the skinny jeans. I also don't think it is a good look for a guy over 30.

IMO the best jeans to buy are the ones that look best on you regardless of the current style trends.
It seems that here in east coast the boot cut never has gone out, all the major jean stores has it.

Bootcut jeans ...

proxy.php
proxy.php

... unfortunately in the minds of many have been relegated to "what chicks wear".

It ain't right and it ain't fair ... but buyer beware.

Those are Bell Bottoms, meant for high plat form shoes of the 70's.......i wore those as a kid in 70's

It seems that here in east coast the boot cut never has gone out, all the major jean stores has it.

Just because they're in the store doesn't mean they actually look good. ;)

Still, I'd like to see some pictures from people who wear them now. They might not look bad, but every time I've seen them on a guy, they would probably look better with a straight or regular cut.

I occasionally wear boot cuts when going somewhere. as for daily wear, i wear straight cut, even with western boots and work boots, you cant see where the boot vamp ends

Top Bottom