What's new

Cobra Classic ? Cobra Owners feel free to chime in :o)

: Your idea about buying off BST is not a bad one; except if somebody's selling theirs, it must be they don't think it's such a great razor. It could be they need the money or other reasons, but it seems paradoxical they would sell off the world's best shaver.

that's not entirely true, i need to free up some cashe for some recent and future purchases and my remaining 3 non-straights are on the very short list to be chopped ASAP. what 3? Vintage slant, Streamline, and no-issue Cobra. not because i don't love the shave from them. it's just been quite a while since i really wanted to use them. i only really use the cobra when i travel "locally" otherwise it's a bic metal.

Just to counter the negativity let me just state that I love mine! :thumbup:

Is it worth $170? Probably not but then are any of the high-end razors? I had an AS-D1 and never got a good shave from it.

As always in these situations YMMV, but if you really want one then get it.

Having said all that, I would be very disappointed if a razor this expensive came with manufacturing flaws. Luckily mine didn't.

I am still very much enjoying mine. It has no flaws as far as I can tell at least. It provides me with wonderfully close and very enjoyable shaves which is pretty much why I bought it.

I thought the $170 price was acceptable considering that it is actually unique. I am not a collector and I certainly am not after the least expensive shave. Rather, for me, at this time of my life, it is the experience of shaving that I find rewarding. I spend the better part of an hour every evening performing my little ritual. There was certainly a time in my life when I could not have spent that much time shaving regardless of my desire which I assure you was absent. But now it is something to me like a little luxury.

I do not care much about cars or fine dining or television shows or even movies anymore. I don't have any unmet needs -- mostly due to my declining aspirations -- and I have very few unfulfilled desires -- much for the same reason I suppose.

So I indulge shaving now. The Cobra Classic was something I wanted to experience and the price of admission was within my reach so I did it. That $100K razor is not and I wouldn't and don't care to. I've spent as much or more on a dinner for two with a rather shorter period of enjoyment.

Part of the reason, too, was that the folks at Classic Shaving were so responsive to my early inquiries and actually kept me informed afterwards. That fact gave me a lot of confidence in them and allayed some of my concern about the negative comments I read.

I do appreciate the negative comments though and pay attention to them but the risk seemed acceptable to me versus the reward.

I'm not sure what production batch I bought from. I've had it about a year. As for the BST option, I have read that some people do not like the ergonomics of the handle and have unloaded theirs for that reason. It doesn't bother me at all. I also am not super nit picky over every last production detail. Mine locks the blade in well and the only sharp edge is the blade.

I can't wait to read your comments after you actually try the razor. If you use the feather pro blades, don't judge it on its first shave. Wait until the second or third. I usually have a little irritation on the first shave on a new blade. I'm pretty sure that's the blade, not the razor.

If you use the feather pro blades, don't judge it on its first shave. Wait until the second or third. I usually have a little irritation on the first shave on a new blade. I'm pretty sure that's the blade, not the razor.
My experience as well. I've been using that Feather Pro Guard blade the last 3 shaves and I think I like it better and didn't have that first use experience.

Global, if you really want to find your Cobra a new home I'm sure somebody *cough* would be happy to help you out.

To Mr. Alphabet name:

Nice job accumulating some of my best work. You a devotee, bro?

My critique postings are not about the razor's performance really...it's about cost/benefits, craftsmanship questions, apparent production problems and questions of value versus price.

And my brotherly attempt to apply the brakes to counter the hype-o-mania re the Cobra. A voice to balance things a little. I'm neither a new buyer trying to convince myself I'm not crazy buying a $170 paper weight, nor am I an angry customer railing against crapping quality control or returning my 3rd Cobra back to Classic Shaving. I'm just a fellow shaver gathering data and impressions about the Cobra over the past 14 months and putting out my hypotheses.

But then, there is my combat related PTSD, hyper-vigilance and nightly home perimeter patrols, cold sweat nightmares, intolerance of crowds, my armed fortress home life, and my inability to give or receive love. So, I will, just for the record, put that out there. Otherwise, I'm just another "Joe Shaver."

Thanks for a dissenting voice...you've helped in my decision not to purchase one.

5th shave with the Feather Pro Guard seemed okay during the shave. I am not happy after though because of burn. It isn't noticeable in the mirror and shave is BBS but I certainly feel it. Strange to me because I really did not have a clue.

I am blaming the blade rightly or wrongly and returning to the Feather Pro that has only one shave on it. I intend to finish it out and then on to a vintage Gillette Aristocrat from about my birth year (1948-1950).

I really do enjoy the Cobra and intend to keep in my rotation.

Just an update on my previous post in this thread (see post #34) I have decided not to shave with the new Cobra I recently received (I have a perfectly fine, flawless one that I got off BST, so I won't be without one) I want to send it back for replacement.

Anyhow, I have some pictures below of the 2 Cobra's so people get an idea of the faults I found in my new Cobra. I don't think I'm being picky, there are just too many flaws in one razor for it to be acceptable to me, especially for a (supposedly) high end razor.

$photo 1.jpg$photo 2.jpg$photo 3.jpg$photo 4.jpg$photo 5.jpg

Just an update on my previous post in this thread (see post #34) I have decided not to shave with the new Cobra I recently received (I have a perfectly fine, flawless one that I got off BST, so I won't be without one) I want to send it back for replacement.

Anyhow, I have some pictures below of the 2 Cobra's so people get an idea of the faults I found in my new Cobra. I don't think I'm being picky, there are just too many flaws in one razor for it to be acceptable to me, especially for a (supposedly) high end razor.
I have to agree with you. I have an early version which looks and works wonderfully. The new one in your picture is a total disaster...I'm surprised it was shipped at all, looking as it does. I'm a Cobra fan...although in all fairness, I can only speak to the actual Cobra I have on hand.

I don't think I'm part of the group think mentality. And I've said this before on different threads as well. I got on the Cobra tour and tried it out. It was an incredible shave. Much thanks to Ouch for the program and great goodie box that comes with the razor.

I personally liked it so much I ordered one the day after I sent the travelling one on. Mine arrived in great condition and has been a great investment. It is sad however, that they have QC issues. For the price it should not happen and they should take care of shipping since they shipped a less than quality product. That said, a good Cobra is a great shave. And I would gladly buy a 2nd one to keep as a backup.

Also if you want to avoid the Russian roulette aspect. Buy one on BST. That way you know what you are getting.
Not True as i Bought on BST and It had lots of play and Uneven Blade Gap as well, "Honest Seller did not know and thought i was Normal" I'm not sure but i think the owner didn't like the Shave? If he didn't that that explained it, To Much Play and Uneven Blade Exposure, Its bound to give a bad shave, have Any of us ever forgotten to tighten down your TTO Razor ? I have , and it Shaved Like a Dull Blade Scraping my face. Why because there was to much Play. Same goes for the Cobra.

Anyways i did pay for Return Shipping about $3.23 USPS Priority Waited a little over 3 weeks Turn around and they paid Return Shipping, So it wasn't that bad But Considering i Paid $140.00 for it on BST I could of bought a New One and again i May or May have not had the issue ? And since i didn't wan to Return it to the Honest Gentleman that sold it to me "He did offer me a Refund" I just took this one on the ARM and just sent it out myself. It wasn't Really that big of a Deal since i have a Tiny Collection of Razors to shave with :eek:)

Have you tried your razor or just looked at it and posted this? Let us know your results when you try it
He is only Ranting about Quality Control Issues Compared to another on he got from BST. He is not Complaining about the Shave or Commenting on the shave? So yes he just looked at it and compared it to the the better Version he got on BST :eek:)

Just to counter the negativity let me just state that I love mine! :thumbup:

Is it worth $170? Probably not but then are any of the high-end razors? I had an AS-D1 and never got a good shave from it.

As always in these situations YMMV, but if you really want one then get it.

Having said all that, I would be very disappointed if a razor this expensive came with manufacturing flaws. Luckily mine didn't.
Well said, Thanks for the Positive Post :thumbup:

View attachment 333940View attachment 333941View attachment 333942View attachment 333943View attachment 333944
I must have the New One because i have all of these flaws, Except after RMA The blade Sits Straight, Not as much Play, and after RMA I Still have some light play, Once i lock in the blade i can still move it from left to right with Fingers, but i doubt it moves when i shave with it. Anyways it shaves Good after RMA but there are some Quality Control Issues with it, Chrome on mine looks Bubbly right under the blade area where i locks what looks like Pitting, But i do like the shave of the Cobra, Nice and Smooth . I suggest Next time anyone buys one make sure are you getting the Model with the Smaller Pin holes and not the over sized Pin Holes which are the Culprit to the Play issue, Maybe a good fix would for Cobra to add bigger pins to the over sized Pin Holes ?

Now about Quality Control "Cobra" Needs to keep an Eye on that.

Maybe Cobra Changed Manufacturer for some undisclosed Reason and this is the Result of that Change. Cant see why the older Cobras were made heavier with no Flaws and new ones have lots of Defects ? Sad but i hope they fix there issues. Maybe they can Hire BlackBear for Quality Control, He Found Every Defect "Except Logo Stamping" i had on my razor and he never held my Razor in his had. Now thats Quality Control there.

Thanks For Comparing the Two Version of Cobra, Job Well Done :thumbup:

Last edited:
I must have the New One because i have all of these flaws, Except after RMA The blade Sits Straight, Not as much Play, and after RMA I Still have some light play, Once i lock in the blade i can still move it from left to right with Fingers, but i doubt it moves when i shave with it. Anyways it shaves Good after RMA but there are some Quality Control Issues with it, Chrome on mine looks Bubbly right under the blade area where i locks what looks like Pitting, But i do like the shave of the Cobra, Nice and Smooth . I suggest Next time anyone buys one make sure are you getting the Model with the Smaller Pin holes and not the over sized Pin Holes which are the Culprit to the Play issue, Maybe a good fix would for Cobra to add bigger pins to the over sized Pin Holes ?

Now about Quality Control "Cobra" Needs to keep an Eye on that.

Maybe Cobra Changed Manufacturer for some undisclosed Reason and this is the Result of that Change. Cant see why the older Cobras were made heavier with no Flaws and new ones have lots of Defects ? Sad but i hope they fix there issues. Maybe they can Hire BlackBear for Quality Control, He Found Every Defect "Except Logo Stamping" i had on my razor and he never held my Razor in his had. Now thats Quality Control there.

Thanks For Comparing the Two Version of Cobra, Job Well Done :thumbup:

Ok here's the low down on the Cobra's as explained to me by Classic Shaving. The Nickel plating on the underside (my bad for thinking it was chrome, to me, everything shiny is chrome lol) has deteriorated somewhat from the earlier versions as the molds have aged but the decision was made to continue making them rather than discontinue them altogether

The hole that the safety bar pins sit in has deliberately been made bigger to allow for the other blades that customers like to use, and should be countered by increased spring tension. I put a Feather Pro Super blade in (which is ever so slightly wider and thicker) and after a bit of fiddling with the blade to get it behind the blade keepers the Cobra finally closed up nice and tight, with a straight blade and minimal play. Maybe Kai blades are different again? so this modification has been made to allow more options in blades. (this also explains how another member said he loved the super blades in his, and I for the life of me could not see how one fitted into my (earlier version) Cobra.

Classic Shaving offered me a full refund, including return postage from Oz, so Kudos to them for excellent customer service in that respect.

What I really wanted was a Cobra like my original one, but alas, looks like they no longer exist :( so I'm thinking of keeping the razor, seeing as they are not really 'flaws' as per my initial impression. I'll go ahead and shave with the super blades, as it all looks straight and tight with one of those in it.

Just really glad I managed to get an earlier version off BST when I had the chance!

What about the angle? The blade does look kind of crooked but maybe just the image?

With a Feather pro super blade, the blade sits straight. In the photo of the newer version it is the standard pro blade (which, from what I understand was the ONLY blade (from feather) that the razor was designed around) There is too much play for my liking with a pro blade and the safety bar can be moved too easily to give it that 'crooked' look. Whether it effects the shave or not, I'm not sure, as I decided not to use it until I had heard back from Classic Shaving. When I do use it I'll most likely go with the pro super blade. IMO, they should have just stuck with the pro blade and left the holes smaller, the super blade was designed for the AC straights to give more blade exposure, but I don't think it would make any difference in a Cobra, as the gap from the safety bar to the blade edge is always going to be the same, regardless of blade width.

Top Bottom