What's new

Cobra Classic ? Cobra Owners feel free to chime in :o)

This is a discussion about the quality of something, not a feel good encounter group.

This should actually be a discussion based upon personal experience with the razor. If you don't have "hands on" experience - you simply cannot contribute anything worthwhile - it's really that simple.

The original post says "Cobra Owners - feel free to chime in". If you don't own one...what could you possibly be chiming in about?

Here is my early version...no issues...shaves like a dream.

$Cobra.jpg

$Cobra2.jpg

Ok here's the low down on the Cobra's as explained to me by Classic Shaving. The Nickel plating on the underside (my bad for thinking it was chrome, to me, everything shiny is chrome lol) has deteriorated somewhat from the earlier versions as the molds have aged but the decision was made to continue making them rather than discontinue them altogether

The hole that the safety bar pins sit in has deliberately been made bigger to allow for the other blades that customers like to use, and should be countered by increased spring tension. I put a Feather Pro Super blade in (which is ever so slightly wider and thicker) and after a bit of fiddling with the blade to get it behind the blade keepers the Cobra finally closed up nice and tight, with a straight blade and minimal play. Maybe Kai blades are different again? so this modification has been made to allow more options in blades. (this also explains how another member said he loved the super blades in his, and I for the life of me could not see how one fitted into my (earlier version) Cobra.

Classic Shaving offered me a full refund, including return postage from Oz, so Kudos to them for excellent customer service in that respect.

What I really wanted was a Cobra like my original one, but alas, looks like they no longer exist :( so I'm thinking of keeping the razor, seeing as they are not really 'flaws' as per my initial impression. I'll go ahead and shave with the super blades, as it all looks straight and tight with one of those in it.

Just really glad I managed to get an earlier version off BST when I had the chance!

Awsome input...thanks so much.

This should actually be a discussion based upon personal experience with the razor. If you don't have "hands on" experience - you simply cannot contribute anything worthwhile - it's really that simple.

I'm reporting on my 14 months of following reported concerns about quality and production issues with the Cobra. But I did step in to the thread. Unless you still own a Cobra, so did you.

Last edited:
I still own my Cobra and still use it regularly (thus the pictures I posted above).

My comments are based upon firsthand ownership and experience of the Cobra Classic - which seems to keep in line with the original intent of this thread.

Nevertheless, for those who have actually owned them and can speak intelligently from personal experience about them, there does some to be a change in manufacturing quality between what is considered the "early" Cobra versus what's available now.

I'm not "married" to the Cobra as such - but I do really like the Feather Artist Club blades. If one of the stainless steel "artisans" decided to build a nice SS version - I would pony up $200 or $300 in a heartbeat.

Me three.

I purchased a Cobra Classic in April and have been using it since. It is my first wet razor and I loved it so much I just purchased a second. Luckily my first razor does not seem to have any issues, despite being dropped and knocked over a couple of times.

I hope to make a more detailed post in the near future with the other products I have purchased.

proxy.php

I bought one from BST. I really like it, but I was noticing that mine seems to be a mix of the above. The stamping on the bottom is nice, as is the plating, but it also seems to have the larger holes. The blade as far as I can tell is straight, but does have some play to it.

I checked when I got home and mine has the larger holes. I would have preferred the smaller holes but it does not seem to make much difference. I also have some roughness at the T under the blade.

Not to change the subject too much. However, if there are any manufacturers reading this. I would pony up for a SS razor that used these blades too!

Return, how far down the list are you for your Cobra Tour stop? You should chronicle your time with it in a new thread. Should be a fantastic read whichever way you come down on this razor.

All razors have some quality issues. I read about Merkur frequently. What I think is really fascinating though is that this is a niche product in a niche market; a niche in a niche. And since the goal is a great shave which really is about you face, some barrier like a cream and a sharp object wouldn't it be great to have more than one manufacturer offer a non straight option to get such an incredible blade to your face? More competition would drive better quality control.

This from Classic Shaving: "The manufacturer and we have been working together to improve the molding process and look into modifications of the Cobra. All of the razors that we have received in the last year have had minor plating differences. The other option is to discontinue the Cobra all together."

I Hope they do decide to keep the Cobra and improve the molding process, like others have stated, I'm not married to it either, but I do think it is an excellent razor to have in the rotation and as far as I'm aware the only safety razor that utilises the wonderful SE Feather blades.

An all SS razor, with machined parts that accepted the AC blades - I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I would like to see Classic Shaving come out with a different design. Come out with one that takes the same blades of course, with a round or hex handle. A lot of people did not like the old handle anyway.

I would like to see Classic Shaving come out with a different design. Come out with one that takes the same blades of course, with a round or hex handle. A lot of people did not like the old handle anyway.
If someone came out with a stainless steel version with the same blade angle and the same face feel with some kind of blade holder that seemed more robust I would be in for it. I do not mind the current handle. Actually it looks pretty fierce on a razor stand and when you see the little snake belly. When people pick it up it has to seem heavy and different so I do appreciate the aesthetics of it as well. EDIT: I also have no problem with the current metal choice. I actually kind of hope there is brass underneath the nickel because I think it could add a nice patina down the road.

Last edited:
This is a discussion about the quality of something, not a feel good encounter group.
Doesn't Really Matter, a nice Positive Comment on his side is Still appreciated and Encouraged in all Forums including this Top about Quality Control Issues with Cobra. Its all good my friend :thumbup1:

Well, after I said I would not buy a Cobra...I did...and I'm impressed. Yes, the plating leaves something to be desired and casting is not the smoothest, but the blade holds nice and tight. And the best part is the way it shaves...it provides one of the smoothest, closest, and easiest shaves. I have a PAL adjustable, Schick adjustable, E1, and an E2 and all shave well, but they don't compare to the Cobra. It might be the Feather blade, but what ever it is--I'm in love.

Not to change the subject too much. However, if there are any manufacturers reading this. I would pony up for a SS razor that used these blades too!

Return, how far down the list are you for your Cobra Tour stop? You should chronicle your time with it in a new thread. Should be a fantastic read whichever way you come down on this razor.

All razors have some quality issues. I read about Merkur frequently. What I think is really fascinating though is that this is a niche product in a niche market; a niche in a niche. And since the goal is a great shave which really is about you face, some barrier like a cream and a sharp object wouldn't it be great to have more than one manufacturer offer a non straight option to get such an incredible blade to your face? More competition would drive better quality control.
I'm last on the Cobra tour. I think 7 ahead of me but not sure who's got it at the moment. I will chronicle my use of the mighty Cobra and related thoughts.

Stainless Steel Version Would Be Sick, I would Def Jump on That one and So Would lots of Other Memebers. I Dare them to Make this Version :w00t:

Well, after I said I would not buy a Cobra...I did...and I'm impressed. Yes, the plating leaves something to be desired and casting is not the smoothest, but the blade holds nice and tight. And the best part is the way it shaves...it provides one of the smoothest, closest, and easiest shaves. I have a PAL adjustable, Schick adjustable, E1, and an E2 and all shave well, but they don't compare to the Cobra. It might be the Feather blade, but what ever it is--I'm in love.
The plating does not bother me and I am sure I would not even notice the "problems" with it if I did not read about them. The belly is unique to me and I love the smooth, shiny, broad back. It is quite the site in my razor holder. My biggest problem with the plating is that after I get done with my post shave cleanup I look at the Cobra and if it is not shiny I have to take a minute to polish it nicely.

The plating does not bother me and I am sure I would not even notice the "problems" with it if I did not read about them. The belly is unique to me and I love the smooth, shiny, broad back. It is quite the site in my razor holder. My biggest problem with the plating is that after I get done with my post shave cleanup I look at the Cobra and if it is not shiny I have to take a minute to polish it nicely.

You really love your Cobra. I can see you standing there admiring the shiny back plate that you just lovingly polished...I understand.

Top Bottom