What's new

Coffee's good. How about the cup?

I wanted to get some thoughts on what kind of coffe cup you use...ceramic, pottery, glass, enamelware? Do you think that the cup type influences the coffee taste?

I use a thin bone china Royal Worcester mug I bought from the seconds shop at the factory in Worcester some years ago. I hate coffee in a thick cup or mug. Seems to dull the flavour and also drains all the heat out of it.

That's Charbucks out then!

Gareth

Purchased from the ship's store years ago, this is my cup on the weekend. Compliments on the seasoning on the inside of this mug are welcome

Attachments

• $CoffeeCup_031513_2504.jpg
    $CoffeeCup_031513_2504.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 289
My favorite cup is a thick ceramic Navy mug from my brothers ship. Second is the Krispy Kreme (notice the similarity). I think they remind me of all the years I spent drinking Navy coffee. Old habits die hard.

proxy.php

I use a thin bone china Royal Worcester mug I bought from the seconds shop at the factory in Worcester some years ago. I hate coffee in a thick cup or mug. Seems to dull the flavour and also drains all the heat out of it.

That's Charbucks out then!

Gareth
strange theory on the thick mug never seem to have a cup o joe go cold on me yet. But I have a strange habit of rinsing out my
cup and or mug befor I use it ie= my coffee mug will be rinsed in hot h20. And cold h2o for cold drinks. Why? I bet you guys think I am crazy. Nope my mother never seemed to have rinsed off all the soap on the dishes from time to time. Nothing wworse was a soapy coke. Or suds in the coffee. I also do it at work. Sorry folks I have know idea what crawled in and out of or all over my cup after hours. And to me that's a nasty thought
Btw sorry for the thread sideline. I will be looking for a thin walled cup. But nothing too girly.

I have as many coffee mugs as I do beer mugs and razors. I like to be able to pick and choose based on what ever whim I may be having at the time.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 259
strange theory on the thick mug never seem to have a cup o joe go cold on me yet. But I have a strange habit of rinsing out my
cup and or mug befor I use it ie= my coffee mug will be rinsed in hot h20. And cold h2o for cold drinks. Why? I bet you guys think I am crazy. Nope my mother never seemed to have rinsed off all the soap on the dishes from time to time. Nothing wworse was a soapy coke. Or suds in the coffee. I also do it at work. Sorry folks I have know idea what crawled in and out of or all over my cup after hours. And to me that's a nasty thought
Btw sorry for the thread sideline. I will be looking for a thin walled cup. But nothing too girly.
Stick with your thick-walled cups and your current practice. I prefer thick-walled cups for the reason that they maintain a constant temperature much more effectively. The optimum temperature range for coffee enjoyment is 140-160F. There's no way a thin-walled cup can help stretch out the window of time when the coffee is in this range.

If you simply prefer the way a thin-walled cup feels, then by all means, enjoy it.

I think the cup does affect the overall experience. I find myself drinking from a preheated bone china cup more often than not. I like the light weight and flared lip. I find that a tallish one similar to this one:
proxy.php

holds heat a lot better than those short wide cups similar to this one:
proxy.php

The only cup I've found that doesn't leave any taste either from the mug(that clay taste or previous coffe) or any taste for that matter is Lennox & this other one made in England Both belong to my wife. :blush: However my wife's nose is even better than mine & can smell a glass that had milk in it. Thus we don't use certain glasses for milk. Only water.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Good line sir...

I use a travel mug even at home. I have a titanium mug I use on the trail and it isn't the best to drink from. Clean coffee taste but metallic feel. At work it is styrofoam because it won't break and leave a million glass shards to contaminate something.

The TARDIS mug isn't travel. Mine actually has a few [heart-breaking] chips in the ceramic. I'm sure most people wouldn't drink from it, and be satisfied to have it as a show piece. But how could you NOT drink from a mug that looks like the TARDIS!? I mean, come on! My coffee literally transcends space and time!

Top Bottom