What's new

Coffee's good. How about the cup?

See you're an old navyman. People are always trying to steal my cup to wash out the lining. Ruins the coffee for some time. I remember someone washing the chiefs coffeepot, almost going over the side with the pot!

Old. Navy. Man. Yep, that pretty well describes me I guess - lol. You a DB coder now? Were you a squid?

Yeah, my friend is a Chief. Old Goats do get worked up about that sometimes. I could care less actually. I've already told my Wife that she can wash it anytime; my only request is that it gets hand-washed, not in the dishwasher. It's about due for a cleaning anyway :biggrin: After it gets washed I always swish-and-rinse a bit of coffee around in it to get the dish-soap taste out.

I bought an old "watch cup" yesterday from a local antique store (for too much I think). It's pretty big but I think I might make a shave mug out of it. I'll try and post a pic of it.

Fair winds gents!

Last edited:
Nope, I just leave it be, it's not hurting anyone! I find it useful actually to provide some pressure against my purge shot, this way the machine isn't just pouring out water for purge and it actually has some resistance. I figure these machines (or at least mine) was designed to pump out water against the resistance of the coffee, and since I like to purge a shot to get my machine fired up and more consistent (or at least this has been the case with my machine), I figure it's probably better to do it against resistance than sans-resistance.

I haven't really heard of any detriment to leaving the puck in the machine after you pull a shot. I use my machine twice a day at least, so it's never in there for too long, not like it's growing mold on it or something. Do you know if / why the puck shouldn't be left in the portafilter?

P.S. sorry for hijacking this thread a bit. Feel free to go on an commence discussion about coffee mugs!

I like to keep my machine pristine; leaving the puck in would drive me crazy.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

just an ole "life is good" mug. with a golfer on the other side. I don't even golf and never been but I just couldn't leave Binks Outfitters empty handed so a quick "uhhhh yeah i'll take that mug for $10" solved that problem.

I wanted to get some thoughts on what kind of coffe cup you use...ceramic, pottery, glass, enamelware? Do you think that the cup type influences the coffee taste?

The coffee cup matters a lot for high quality coffee...not so much for low quality coffee. Basically what you want is the heaviest thick walled ceramic cups as you can find, they hold the heat in just the right amount to show off the different flavors of the coffee as it cools... I have many different nicer cups but my current favorite is an old the Hall branded cup.

Just wanted to add...pre-heating your coffee cup with hot water is worth it to me.

Last edited:
Just picked up a nice old English Blue Willow cup and saucer. I can't wait to clean her up and try her out.

proxy.php

Keeping your coffee hot is the key to all mugs not being equall. A double walled mug is the way to go like this, you get two for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-...d=1365299565&sr=1-4&keywords=bodum+coffee+mug

proxy.php

I like my Bodum double walled glass mugs, but I will admit that I don't love them. They feel too fragile and I am constantly feeling like one little bump and I'm going to have a handful of glass. I wish they had more of a Pyrex feel to them.

As for mugs/cups holding heat, this has never been an issue for me. I've never had a cup of coffee or tea last long enough to get cold. I tend to drink them quickly, which is just my personal preference.

I like my Bodum double walled glass mugs, but I will admit that I don't love them. They feel too fragile and I am constantly feeling like one little bump and I'm going to have a handful of glass. I wish they had more of a Pyrex feel to them.

As for mugs/cups holding heat, this has never been an issue for me. I've never had a cup of coffee or tea last long enough to get cold. I tend to drink them quickly, which is just my personal preference.

I think the Bodum double walls are great. Just to fragile for our house. After breaking a half dozen or so we gave them up. I think there's one left on the shelf.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm not sure how the cup is. it's got this....this look about it. it's putting me on edge....

I have a boatload of coffee mugs I have acquired via many ways and means over the past 4 decades, but this one surreptitiously obtained somewhere in Canada and carried home on my motorcycle remains my favorite of them all to this day
$_t2ec16f__zqe9s3sqjv-bq7gkt4cng__60_57_thumbtall.jpg

Last edited:
Purchased from the ship's store years ago, this is my cup on the weekend. Compliments on the seasoning on the inside of this mug are welcome
I lost my ships mug years ago:(. I remember coming home on ,eave and brought my cup. Woke up one morning o lay to find d that my mother had wASHED it!!!!! heresy!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom