What's new

How do you prefer your edges?

How do you prefer your edges?

• Crisp, similar to Feather DE blade

• Extra smooth, similar to Personna DE blade

Results are only viewable after voting.
Crisp or extra smooth? I'm asking about your preference of one over the other if you had to choose.

Last edited:
im not sure what a "crisp" edge is....but if my edge doesnt effortlesly shave armhair comfortably..back to the stone it goes..

I finish on a 12k naniwa. I used diamond lapping film up to .1 micron. I compared that to crox and I cant tell the difference in the shave. Diamond pasted strop also. HHT diamond film or pasted strop or crox is the same. So after honing on my 12k I hit the the crox 7-10 laps and 30 laps felt, 50 laps bridle. Very sharp, I have never felt a straight being too sharp. IMO the smoothness of the blade is caused by the lack of scratches on the bevel. But then again, what do I know? I have found what works for me, YMMV. I just know when I start the first pass, it doesnt tug and slices through everything nicely.

crisp apparently means 2 very different things

1) great and refreshing to some people, like a beautiful sunrise while in the mountains near a stream and ready to go fishing

proxy.php

and

proxy.php

or

2) harsh and unforgiving, like being atop a mountain requiring a climb high, sleep low attitude

proxy.php

i like it sharp and not harsh or "abrasive", whether it be laser sharp or smooth sharp.

I'm not quite sure what a harsh edge is. I don't equate sharp with harsh, the opposite for me. A very keen edge is also normally a very smooth edge.

My mind sees the Velvet Squeegee as smooth and razor burn as crisp. I see the Personna DE blades as sharp but smooth and the Feathers as sharp but crisp. YMMV

I can't pick one of the other, as I am not familiar with both of those DE blades (I did try the Feather DE blade once and did not like it).

However, I like my edges sharp and smooth, but not sharp like those in a new Feather AC Pro blade (or new KAI Mild blade) - those 2x blades are too sharp, and I feel like besides whiskers being cut, I am also shaving a little bit of the outer skin layers, specially when doing touch-up work.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what a harsh edge is. I don't equate sharp with harsh, the opposite for me. A very keen edge is also normally a very smooth edge.

i have had harsh shaves before, not a lot, from one or two of my earlier hone jobs and some i have received from others.. it left my face very clean, but also a bit sore. i don't know if it was from technique, angle, not a good honing in the sharpening/polishing or maybe too fine a finisher, like a 30K shapton glass. I have no way to know anymore, but i've had them.. point being, I actually definitely defined them as "crisp", until read that that wasn't the intent of the meaning..

Last edited:
Language is such a fickle mistress. Maybe it's best to provide examples of the feel. A word like 'crisp' may require more than a few sentences to establish it's meaning in the context of a straight razor's edge.

Never used personna, and it's been years since a feather. I can tell you I'd rather have smooth than keen, but it's gotta pass my HHT 3, at least, before it touches my face.

Difference razors have different edges. What I prefer is the super sharp, effortless shave of my full hollow. I don't know if it is smooth or crisp, but it sure is *minty*!

There, that clearly defined it. ;)

Top Bottom