What's new

Marijuana legal for recreational use in Colorado/Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll probably try to hang on to it for a while, and finally the SCOTUS will declare it unconstitutional. That's how the will of the people is usually thwarted.

And if it would have been in my state, I'd have voted against marijuana. That can be some bad stuff -- but the people have spoken, at least in Colorado and Washington.

I'm for it personally -- growing it yourself you know its safe to use. Criminal elements exploit the people with high prices or sub-standard products. I've even heard they will "lace" the product with harder drugs to get them hooked on them.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A lot of people say that marijuana is bad for your memory, but I just wanted to say.... umm... I forgot what I wanted to say.
-T. Chong, c. 1972

I think it will put some of the criminal elements out of business. Especially the cross-border types, in Washington. That's a good thing!...

They'll probably try to hang on to it for a while, and finally the SCOTUS will declare it unconstitutional. That's how the will of the people is usually thwarted.

And if it would have been in my state, I'd have voted against marijuana. That can be some bad stuff -- but the people have spoken, at least in Colorado and Washington.

If it gets to the Supreme Court, they probably will give the Supremacy Clause its plain meaning.

All drugs, including alcohol (my drug of choice), are bad on some level. Driving under the influence of any drug should be treated as a serious crime with serious punishments. But our current marijuana laws enrich gangsters and destroy the lives of otherwise law-abiding citizens. It's easier for folks under 21 to get weed than alcohol. So when I take over, marijuana will be sold where liquor is sold, and driving under the influence of either drug will cost you your license for a year on the first offense, three months in the hoosegow for your second.

Would you rather see it keep thriving illegitimately in the underground market? Marijuana is no worse than alcohol...in fact it's a lot less harmful. I don't use it personally, but I don't think it should be illegal.

I haven't smoked marijuana in about a year, cigarettes in about three years, and I rarely drink alcohol.

Let's take a look at cigarettes and alcohol. How many do the both of these cause annually?

Last edited:
I think anti drug campaigns try and demonize marijuana which I don't even smoke (Military), but looking at it rationally how many deaths are caused by excessive alcohol consumption vs smoking marijuana in excess. I guarantee you not many domestic violence or marijuana incited driving accidents happen in comparison... I just don't like the "feds" telling people they can't grow something because they say they can't. Especially something with confirmed medical benefits as this. Heck most pharmaceutical drugs are WAY more dangerous in excess (suicide by consuming pills) and mind altering (Ativan)

We could save billions in the war on drugs, put a lot of king pins south of the border out of business, and make up a ton of revenue by ending the useless war on drugs. Starting with marijuana. And no, I don't smoke and likely never will, but I don't see how it is my business what someone else puts in their body so long as (a) they cause no harm to me and mine or anyone else (b)they don't expect me to pay for it or any health issues that arise from it.

How many people that are opposed to the legalization of marijuana have actually used it? Comparing it to cocaine or heroin is so absolutely naive that it's comical.

kmain is the voice of reason here. The biggest reason that anyone is opposed to marijuana is that the person was reared believing that marijuana is some horrible, invidious "gateway" drug that leads down the path to becoming a drug addled rocker, or lecher, or something.

Too much of anything is not a good thing, but I've never heard of a marijuana user having any of the negative issues associated with alcoholism.

I don't smoke it and I don't even care if they legalize it or not, but I think there's far more to gain from legalization than lose.

Last edited:
Thank you, I just think the government needs to take a more progressive stance on this issue and applaud Colorado and Washington's courageousness.

Agree with Kmain and SalvadorMontenegro, Alcohol is far worse than weed. Anybody who doesn't believe that, has never smoked it. Why the government wouldn't want tax money from weed is beyond me. I'm going to pi** some people off, but I would rather have weed legal and alcohol illegal, if we had to pick one or the other. I drink very sparingly and don't smoke anymore ,but when i did , it didn't lead me to cocain, heroin, meth or any other drug.

Billions of dollars in tax revenue are lost to the gangster dealers because its still illegal in the other 48 states. Marijuana will one day be a cash cow like tobacco and liquor in more states in the near future. That is if the Federal government doesn't put a stop to it.

You'd think with the current national dept (over 14 trillion) they'd legalize it and gain some tax benefits off it rather than cutting jobs in the government to save a few million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom