What's new

Zero to 60 in.how fast did you build your collection?

So I am just under one month into Double Edge Razor shaving, and I am already hooked on collecting vintage Gilletes....

In addition to the new EJDE89barley that I bought to get started I now have 5 vintage gilletes, and may come into 5 more this week (hopefully will be able to report a great deal later this week)...

my goal: would love to have one of every style, and one style of each available in my birth quarter (oct 68)..not sure i will ever achieve but why not have goals

So, how fast did you build your collection...? Vintage or Otherwise...
And is your collection complete? If not what are your collection goals?
Do you collect to use, or to show? or both?

I collect now around 8 years Gillette razors (only for display). I own now around 600 Gillette sets - and the collection is never complete

I have a 40's style super speed with no end caps, picked it up the same week I joined up here. The DE collection was up at five a year or so ago but back to one now.

I have around 27 i think, might be slightly more. I just look around and if i see one i like i pick it up. There mostly for use but i have some cased that i will use and put on show :)

So I am just under one month into Double Edge Razor shaving, and I am already hooked on collecting vintage Gilletes....

In addition to the new EJDE89barley that I bought to get started I now have 5 vintage gilletes, and may come into 5 more this week (hopefully will be able to report a great deal later this week)...

my goal: would love to have one of every style, and one style of each available in my birth quarter (oct 68)..not sure i will ever achieve but why not have goals

So, how fast did you build your collection...? Vintage or Otherwise...
And is your collection complete? If not what are your collection goals?
Do you collect to use, or to show? or both?

Why limit yourself to only Gillettes? You're missing out on some of the most interesting razors: Injectors & the SEs (GEMs, Ever-Ready, Star, etc.). Not to mention the totally cool Auto Strop.

I think I have about 20 razors now. All are users. I still want a nice New Improved in silver. Then maybe I'll be done for a while.

Since February, I have amassed between 80 and 90 DE razors. Most are vintage Gillettes, but there are other old ones (Schick, Star, and some unknown ones). I also have 7 or so modern ones. I have around 13 aftershaves, and between 10 and 15 soaps and creams. I only have about 6 brushes and 7 Old Spice mugs. I tend to find things at junk stores and flea markets mostly, and I hate to pass up a good buy. I seem to think I have to try everything.

Why limit yourself to only Gillettes? You're missing out on some of the most interesting razors: Injectors & the SEs (GEMs, Ever-Ready, Star, etc.). Not to mention the totally cool Auto Strop.

I think I have about 20 razors now. All are users. I still want a nice New Improved in silver. Then maybe I'll be done for a while.

why limit?...for self control purposes only!

(I almost bought a GEM SE the same day I bought my first vintage Gillette...)

otherwise I'd be broke and incur the wrath of the wife!

I collect now around 8 years Gillette razors (only for display). I own now around 600 Gillette sets - and the collection is never complete

Wow...600 sets, that is impressive !
Thank you for sharing your knowledge, your site is the Bible for dating vintage Gillettes
Kevin

i have been collecting for 16 months now and the collection will continue to grow for as long as swmbo will let it lol. im not close to 600 of course :drool: im at the century mark.

i have been collecting for 16 months now and the collection will continue to grow for as long as swmbo will let it lol. im not close to 600 of course :drool: im at the century mark.

zero to 100 in 16 months...not too shabby!
i am reporting you all to my SWMBO for backup if needed!

just got the email, meeting up for viewing of a lot of five more for a great price this week, here's hoping they are in good shape...will report back as early as tomorrow night! (wednesday at the latest-depending on when we meet up)

zero to 100 in 16 months...not too shabby!
i am reporting you all to my SWMBO for backup if needed!

just got the email, meeting up for viewing of a lot of five more for a great price this week, here's hoping they are in good shape...will report back as early as tomorrow night! (wednesday at the latest-depending on when we meet up)

yea thats not counting all of the razors i have sold :)

I have about 15 razors from Merkur to Gillette to Gem etc. A couple of Scuttles, razor / brush stands and so on. I would say about 8 months to a year when I first started. I'm still picking up things here and there because I to have gone over to the collecting side.

I've spent upwards of $2000 on razors for display alone in the 6 months I've been wetshaving, including straights for collection. I have a few single rings, a nice double ring, some mint boxed sets, etc. etc. British razors are like heroin for me. I think I have 7 fatboys. I suppose that I have between 30 and 40 DE and straights that will stay in my display case.

In addition, I've spent at least that much on brushes, soaps, creams, and aftershave, as well as blades. I have 6 razors I use (DE) and at least a two year supply each of iridium supers, polsilvers (brown box), personna labs, personna 74s, and spoilers. I hate the spoilers, and will be selling them. And, I really doubt I needed three jars of MDC, EVERY Razorock soap, and all the fragrances I wear. I'm using the fact that I am 40 ish as an excuse...hygiene is my midlife crisis.

My wife is usually just exasperated. Although she just told me to start looking for a mustang convertible last week, so I must be doing something correct ;)

I hate it every time some new post forces me to analyze my purchases. I'm sick.

:)

Top Bottom