What's new

First tallow...what should I get?

Really? I don't detect any hint of lavender from mine.

To me the smell is really just a soft soapy smell. Don't know if I just imagine a faint lavender because I associate it with soap or it's really there. But MWF does contain linalool so its not out of the question that I'm picking up some lavender like notes

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wow, 11 posts before someone mentions Tabac .. here's my two cents, based on semi-hard water here .. Tabac is the easiest, creamiest, but has a scent that some can't abide. Sir Irisch Moos by the same company was a different scent, but is no longer being manufactured, just as easy to create great creamy protective lather. Next by only a hair due to cost would be any of the Art of Shaving soaps, which take just a bit more work to get right (again, think hard water). Cella is also right up there for latherability, but I have found Mitchell's Wool Fat to be finicky and alot of work (once it is right, it is great, but takes some patience & soap-foo. The lanolin is soothing though). I've tried Taylor of Old Bond Street & D.R. Harris, and while they are nicely scented I put them behind those mentioned previously in terms of making lather.

Well fellas, I'm ready purchase my first tallow based soap and wanted see what myriad of opinions I could find.

I'm not keen on rose, lavender or lime though.

Hit me!

Arko, either in cream or soap form. The cream doesn't have the strong scent that a freshly opened stick of Arko soap has but both are wonderful shaving soaps. The best part is that Arko is cheap and can be bought at several shaving supply websites including www.bestshave.net direct out of Turkey (where Arko is manufactured).

Tabac, DR Harris Arlington (best.scent.ever), or AoS are all quality soaps.
If you don't like any of the AoS scents, you can buy a Valobra shave stick, which is pretty much the AoS soap minus fragrance.

I went with Razorock Mughetto di Bologna. I wanted to try tallow and a flower scent. Two birds with one stone for me.

Last edited:
Tabac is my favorite soap. First tallow soap I tried so I recommend it. Easy to lather and I love the way it smells. YMMV of course

Wow, 11 posts before someone mentions Tabac .. here's my two cents, based on semi-hard water here .. Tabac is the easiest, creamiest, but has a scent that some can't abide.

"but has a scent that some can't abide". Right there is the reason I haven't tried it. I can't find it locally anywhere and I can't make myself buy it nose unsmelled.

"but has a scent that some can't abide". Right there is the reason I haven't tried it. I can't find it locally anywhere and I can't make myself buy it nose unsmelled.

No worries, CrotalusHH, just find your way to a local church on a Sunday morning and smell some of the old ladies. That's as close to sampling tabac as you'll get without visiting Garry's sample shop. :lol:

All joking aside, that was my very first impression of the scent, but I admit it's starting to grow on me...

Arko for $2.00 a stick. Which should last a year of daily shaves. It gives super thick, super slick, super cushiony, lather.Its fragrance could stop a tank in its tracks, but after its aired out its really very nice.Best two dollars you will ever spend. And even if you don't like it ( don't let those Cult of Arko guys hear that lol) your only out two bucks.Arko is the best deal in shaving.
Its so easy to lather that, and I quote "A one armed monkey with severe head trauma can lather it".
Its s genuine lather explosion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom