What's new

Didn't want to like Arko...

I did my normal routine today, got up,drank my coffee, did my yard work, clean the mowers before putting them up. Same ole same ole for a Sunday. I know it's Monday, but I'm off work and treated it like Sunday since I did nothing yesterday but spend the day with my two sons.

Then I remembered that I oredered a 100 Derby blades from amazon and got a free stick of Arko about three weeks ago. So far those blades in my '65 SS Flare Tip has been the go to set up for me.

I took my shower like always, had my brush in a cup of hot water ready to go, went to use AoS Sandlewood for my shave. Saw the Arko next to it and thought why not. It's been sitting there for three weeks I should at least try it once.

I didn't shave yesterday so I had some nice stuble. I took the stick and made circles on my face till I felt I had enough to do the job. Put my brush on face and found out that I had enough there to shave my whole family if I wanted to. Really didn't want to like this soap but it turned out pretty decent. Better than I had expceted.

Now I do have a question, I only did one pass, since I'm off I don't need to be BBS. It seemed like my brush felt cleaner after I rinsed it out. I didn't change anything I did except use Arko. Could be just me though.

Mark

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Arko is an excellent soap, some don't like the fact that it is so cheap, and has a certain smell they do not like. Leave the stick unwrapped for a few days or so, and it looses most of the scent. Afterwards, it is just a soapy smell. I said it some time ago, and I repeat it here again: if this soap was made by one of the famous English companies, and the asking price was something like $30 for a puck, it would be the holy grail of shaving soap....a "nice barbershop scented, excellent performing tallow based soap".
I always include a stick with my shaving brushes, so my customers have an ideas how a tallow based soap performs.

I am pleasantly surprised as well. My skin doesn't like most of the high end soaps but loves Arko. I even like the scent. I see a 12 pack in my future.

I don't like shave sticks though. With some effort I was able to press it into a MWF container.

Glad to hear these positive reviews, just ordered some yesterday. :001_smile

What motivated me to try it is watching shaving videos and in particular, how thorough the Turkish barbers are.

Another Arko fan here. To me, the most important aspect when assessing shave soap is performance- Arko is certainly a performer!

I
Now I do have a question, I only did one pass, since I'm off I don't need to be BBS. It seemed like my brush felt cleaner after I rinsed it out. I didn't change anything I did except use Arko. Could be just me though.

Mark

I noticed something similar; my brushes seem to be a little softer after using Arko. Thought it was just me and the difference isn't that big but I like my brushes more after an Arko shave.

Unwrapped mine the other day and showered with it, lathers very well. I'm going to let it sit unwrapped on the shelf a month before I shave with it.

That scent, wth? Would like to know if it is based on natural ingredients or chemical (s)

Last edited:
I recently discovered Arko as well.

I don't mind the scent, actually like it. Yeah, the price is great and it makes all sorts of lather that works great. For me anyway, what's not to like about it?

BTW, scent... Citronella and geraniol. Natural oils. Anyone familiar with Williams will recognize the scent.

Here is some info re: geraniol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geraniol

I've written this before; during biting insect season I think these would be worth a shot. I use natural repellent with these ingredients.

Arko lathers as well as any other soap I have used including triple milled British soaps. I have been using it more often than any other soap. I have two sticks mashed into a vdh bowl. Love it !! :thumbup:

I resisted shaving Saturday and Sunday ... mainly because I acquired a major case of razor burn on Friday as I tested two creams side by side with a used Astra platinum.

This morning (Monday), I had quite the stubble to shave off. The conditions were perfect for Arko (still in a stick at my place) and a fresh Feather. The entire day I have been thinking how enjoyable the shave was, absolutely no nicks or razor burn. The Feather took it all off in two passes and the Arko provided some great insurance. It's amazing what a tallow soap does for me versus veg. creams. (I wonder if the tallow creams provide similar protection?)

When I came home, I was going to start a new thread on it but saw this one already. Damn it, the shave was so good I wanted to announce it to all .... well at least at B&B! I really don't understand how people can have anything against this soap. I'm realizing lightly scented soaps are less risky with me. Although I love strong scents, when I'm not a fan of the scent, the product is ruined for me (i.e. Taylor's Rose cream). If Arko has this many naysayers where are the people professing their hate for "Ivory" type soaps. Both are lightly scented tallow soaps.

Anyways, enough said.

BTW: My Semogue 1305 smells very fresh and clean. It's also soft, but I'll report back tomorrow when it's fully dried. I can say that the 1305 is softer and nicer smelling then my Silvertip which was just washed with unscented pet shampoo which cost $9.99 for the bottle. Maybe I'll just buy Arko in bulk and repackage it as pet soap ... given the competition, I'd make a killing.

Arko is an excellent soap, some don't like the fact that it is so cheap, and has a certain smell they do not like. Leave the stick unwrapped for a few days or so, and it looses most of the scent. Afterwards, it is just a soapy smell. I said it some time ago, and I repeat it here again: if this soap was made by one of the famous English companies, and the asking price was something like $30 for a puck, it would be the holy grail of shaving soap....a "nice barbershop scented, excellent performing tallow based soap".
I always include a stick with my shaving brushes, so my customers have an ideas how a tallow based soap performs.

I totally disagree with you, but......

Replace the word "Arko" with "Euro Palmolive" and I would agree 100% percent. :)

For me the scent is nasty, while the scent of Euro Palmolive is wonderful. The point is that there are bargains out there, whether it's Arko, E.P., or Williams. There is no need to use a soap you don't absolutely love.

Love ARKO. :001_smile

I had a wonderful shave with it this morning. Once aired out for a couple of days, the scent is actually pleasant. I actually prefer to the smell of TABAC. I recently bought 32 sticks from Amazon for $32 . Passed out quite a few to friends and co-workers.

It will always be one of my staples.:thumbup1:

I wrote out a long spill about Arko, but the new forum decided I wasn't logged in. My abbreviated version: Arko is an unbelievable value. The lather it makes is superb. My only complaint is the scent. It's nothing special. If they'd offer Arko in a better scent, it would be my #1 soap. Even over my beloved Tabac. Never thought I'd say that. Dear Arko, get a new scent, throw it in a tub and slap on a 15 dollar price tag. Instant gold mine.

Top Bottom