What's new

CCW questions

I have been interested in getting my CCW but I had some questions. How can you carry you carry your weapon so it is still concealed but does not get in the way. Also have you been in a situation that you needed your CCW? I only ask because I am trying to determine if the times I would need it would outweigh the number of awkward situations.

I carried a full sized Glock 22 in a shoulder holster over a tshirt, under a half unbuttoned oversized Dickies work shirt and was able to do physical labor with minimal printing. My CCW teacher was an ex CIA guy and recommended the set up for sandals, shorts, and hawaiian shirts as well, he carried a 1911 like that. A smaller pistol on a smaller man would reduce printing even more.

Belt carry needs a cover garment. People get "made" a lot with belt carry. The shooting schools make a lot of money teaching belt draw kata, so it is the most popular.

Pocket carry works well for specialized firearms.

Ankle carry requires pants for a cover garment, I find it more of a pain than anything else.

Off body is better than nothing, but I don't like the fact that the firearm is not secured.

I carry on my strong side inside the waist band. It very rarely causes problems. My shirt does ride up occasionally, but that is pretty easy to manage.

Fortunately I have never needed to draw my weapon. I hope I never do. Unless you are in a very unusual situation the number of awkward situations will far outweigh the number of times you truly need it. But if you are unlucky you may just find yourself depending on it for your life. That's why I carry every day, everywhere I go (except for the places I am legally prohibited). It isn't convenient, it isn't fun, but it is there if I need it.

Never been "made" while belt carrying yet.

... that you know of.

Criminals are more savvy than they get credit for. If I can spot it, so can they.

http://www.concealedcarryoutfitters.com/PatriotVest.php This kind of stuff only fools soccer moms. Only gay men and CCW holders wear vests.

Wearing a jacket in warm weather, look for the bulge.

Squared away hair and cant see the waistband, look for the bulge.

It works the other way too. You see a thug with a shirt covering his waistband and struggling to hold up his pants, look for the bulge. Jacket in the summer, bet on a gun.

I carry a Sig P239 almost everywhere w/ a galco IWB holster. I tried carrying it strong side w/ a couple different holsters but due to my build (love handles) the grip always pushed out from my waist and was easy to see.

After some experimenting I found that cross-draw worked fine w/ one of my holsters as my gun tucked in towards the front of my belly. I can conceal it under a T-shirt. It's also easier to access while seated/driving. And I can reach it w/ either hand.

When I wear shorts I use "Smart Carry." (smartcarry.com)
It's not as fast to draw from, especially when seated, but it allows me to have a firearm as my shorts usually don't work as well w/ my other holster.

You can read up on suggested holsters but there is a lot of YMMV. Everyone is different and your carry method may be affected by how you dress.
If there was only a way to rent a holster, you really need to wear it for a full day or longer to know if it works.

It took me a 3rd pistol and 5 holsters to find what worked for me.

I carry a Sig P239 almost everywhere w/ a galco IWB holster. I tried carrying it strong side w/ a couple different holsters but due to my build (love handles) the grip always pushed out from my waist and was easy to see.

After some experimenting I found that cross-draw worked fine w/ one of my holsters as my gun tucked in towards the front of my belly. I can conceal it under a T-shirt. It's also easier to access while seated/driving. And I can reach it w/ either hand.

When I wear shorts I use "Smart Carry." (smartcarry.com)
It's not as fast to draw from, especially when seated, but it allows me to have a firearm as my shorts usually don't work as well w/ my other holster.

You can read up on suggested holsters but there is a lot of YMMV. Everyone is different and your carry method may be affected by how you dress.
If there was only a way to rent a holster, you really need to wear it for a full day or longer to know if it works.

It took me a 3rd pistol and 5 holsters to find what worked for me.

Smart carry works great. The only complaint I have about it is if I am driving my auto with it, it becomes uncomfortable.

Inside the waistband. Good gunbelt, untucked shirt. I've only been made due to a chick who went hands-on once unexpectedly.

And i've had federal agents, SWAT cops and others who all knew i carried who couldn't spot it.

Shoulder holsters are discouraged because in some cases you can become disarmed, and they print worse than anything else due to the harness (having made 2 detectives that way....they switched). They're good for drivers and pilots but not everyday.

And yes, I have.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Milt Sparks 55BN with a good belt.

All you have to do is be aware of your jacket when outside so it doesn't blow open. I've never had an issue and never use the inside the waistband any more. Confidence comes with experience.

http://www.miltsparks.com/55BN.htm

proxy.php

It's a matter of the whole ensamble: weapon, holster, belt, cover garmets, personal preference, body size, ect.

Don't cheap out on a holster or belt. Many people buy an expensive holster and use a cheap belt. A belt that fits the holster properly will make a big difference.

I personally like the don hume products. I generally carry strong side owb with a service model springfield xd. I don't have problems printing, just throw on a button up t-shirt of some sort. A coat, windbreaker, or pull over works well too. For the t-shirt days sob or iwb works great too. I personally am not a fan of the pocket pistols.

You will have to find something that works for you.

Ryan

Can't say that I've ever been made, I'm probably my own biggest critic. A good holster and a good belt go a long way. Glock 27 in a CompTac Minotaur Spartan and an untucked shirt or a Keltec P-3AT in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
A Ruger LCP .380 in an Uncle Mikes IWB holster is pretty much invisible with an untucked shirt of any kind.

Also what does it mean to be made?

It refers to someone noticing that you are carrying a weapon. It could be as subtle as a fellow concealed carry enthusiast tactfully letting you know that "Your gun is showing!", to a huge SUV driving soccer mom screaming and flailing for all in a 347 mile radius that some MANIAC (you) has a gun and is going to use it!

Being made is a bad thing!

It refers to someone noticing that you are carrying a weapon. It could be as subtle as a fellow concealed carry enthusiast tactfully letting you know that "Your gun is showing!", to a huge SUV driving soccer mom screaming and flailing for all in a 347 mile radius that some MANIAC (you) has a gun and is going to use it!

Being made is a bad thing!

Or elbowing your wife, nodding your head in the packer's direction and exchanging knowing glances.

I never "out" someone, or even say anything to them, but I see it. It is like an awareness game, for me.

Top Bottom