What's new

I went to smell Penhaligon's for the first time today

So I went to the only perfumist in Oslo that carries Penhaligon's. My, what a treat.

I never smelled these before, but I want a new scent these days and I figured why not try top tier?

These are the ones I smelled, with some short notes.

Extract of Limes
Wonderfully fresh, clear, saturated with citrus smell. Think T&H's West Indian Limes only stronger, fresher and clearer. Very nice scent, but not quite what I was looking for (shame you can't get them all, eh?)

Blenheim Boquet
Very nice, but a bit complicated for my nose at the moment (it's just a wee blocked). Could feel pepper most clearly, but the pine somehow makes it a fresh "white" scent, if that makes sense? Almost wintery, but just not quite! Such a fleeting smell, and the madam at the shop explained it to me as well, that Penhaligon's is quite fleeting. You'll notice this if you try to smell it at different distances. I can't say I smell the lime and lemon, and just a HINT of lavender. I don't like lavender all that much, but this is a good thing.

Quercus
So clean! My nose isn't trained enough to distinguish all the scents, but citrusy. And it seems to me that the musk binds all the scents together. It's a wonderful fresh and clean citrus scent, but still very manly.

Endymion
Soothing, fluid, velvety. Again, my nose fails to distinguish everything, and it wouldn't be fair just copying off the website either. This is a sensual scent, very much so, but not.. sexual. It's.. I think if you wear this in an intimate situation (everything from a hug to in bed), I think you'll come off as very.. comforting, caring, sincere and romantic.

The polite madam said that this one was a bit.. quirky. And I tend to agree. Not what you'd expect from a sensual scent at all in my opinion, but it definitely works.

So, what to buy? I want all of them! I wanted to smell Eau de Cologne and Opus 1870, but they didn't have them. She also let me know that Opus was a very poor seller in Norway, and that Norwegians had a quite unique way of expressing themselves through scent. This intrigued me.. can anybody please tell me a bit about the Opus?

I also asked about English Fern, but they didn't sell those anymore because of low sales.

I definitely see what people mean when they write about using scents for every occasion, because all of these are wonderful, and you'd want one for every day of the week!

Furthermore, it strikes me that these high end scents don't have to be overpowering to work, like I tend to think many modern and trendy "manly" perfumes are. I think they're invasive and many smell similar.

Try them on your skin before making any purchase, fragrance made with EO's evolve and change with your skin differently than on a strip of paper.

Definitely. I did try them on the skin. The madam there (I suspect she was the owner) sprayed it on my skin herself. I could only use my fingers however, so that wasn't the best option because the scents became close, but I could single them out no problem. Used both my pinkys and index fingers.

I absolutely love Limes, Castile and Elixir.

The limes lasts much longer than Trumper, and the dry down is great.

Castile might be my first cologne purchase since being "educated" on B&B.

Elixir smells exotic.

Yeah, I'd love to smell more of them. But what I can't believe is that I've been standing in shopping centres and going to body shops and whatnot and smelling what's supposed to be good, manly, trendy and popular.

This stuff is just miles ahead.

I would not recommend the Limes as I have a sample and it lasts maybe 15-20 minutes.
The Blenheim Bouquet has many fans but I found the pepper smell overwhelming and offensive smelling.

I would not recommend the Limes as I have a sample and it lasts maybe 15-20 minutes.
The Blenheim Bouquet has many fans but I found the pepper smell overwhelming and offensive smelling.

Limes is usually fleeting, but the Pen's Limes has some legs, at least for me. YMMV. :)

Great post, Rossmeister! Thank you. Great notes. Interesting stuff about what sells in Norway.

Interesting set of Pens that you tried. Blenheim Bouquet is a polarizing, love it or hate it, scent. I love it. I would not describe it as fleeting, but it really does evolve on the skin. Of the ones you tried, it seems to me among the traditonal Pens type scents, along with English Fern, Douro, Hamman (sp?) Bouquet, and Opus. Others can probably describe it better, but to me Opus has pepper similar to BB, but is woodier if I am remembering, and lacks lemon. It may have a tad of rose to it. Very nice, tradtional type scent. From what you say you might really like it.

I have some Quercus, but am having trouble remembering it. It is pleasent, but does not stand out to me as the best of the Pens. Everyone seems to like Endymion more than I do. Your description is great. I think of it as Pens attempt to put out something more like other modern scents. Sensual seems right.

Limes is limes. Not what I am looking for either, but nice limes.

Glad you enjoyed these so much. I think Pens is a great house. Really quality, classy stuff.

Agree about the limes. I picked up a sample at T&H, and damn was it fleeting....totally gone within five minutes.

Which is completely at odds with my other Pen's experiences. Opus (one of my top 3 frags) lasts all day...it stings the nostrils...but in a good way. Same with BB. Not a big Endymion fan (smells like sweet, lavender creme brulee), but it too lasts long time.

can anybody please tell me a bit about the Opus?

I will tell you this much. I have Opus 1870 in a 100ml spray and also as a 1.5 ml sample.
It is simply the most delicious fragrace i own. I find it totally hypnotic and alluring. It is divine, and it lasts for absolutely hours.

I love it!!

S

Sam

Ok, I want a Penhaligon for fall/winter. I have English Fern and like it, maybe love it. Endymion is like a lavendar creme brulee? Too sweet maybe for me. Opus is peppery? Like Piper Nigrum?

I am thinking of these: Opus, Endymion, Elixir (that eucalyptus gets me I think in a bad way), LP 9 (maybe too bubblegummy), Duero.

Any comments?

I think Blenheim Boquet actually sort of smells like white and winter. Give that a try? A warmer, inviting scent is traditional for cold though. Endymion (but not for regular use amongst friends and professional, I think it's more intimate). I don't know about the rest you mention, haven't smelled them. Love to try Douro though.

Ok, I want a Penhaligon for fall/winter. I have English Fern and like it, maybe love it. Endymion is like a lavendar creme brulee? Too sweet maybe for me. Opus is peppery? Like Piper Nigrum?

I am thinking of these: Opus, Endymion, Elixir (that eucalyptus gets me I think in a bad way), LP 9 (maybe too bubblegummy), Duero.

Any comments?

I don't get much if any pepper in Opus 1870. Most of the 'space' in the scent is taken up by a huge and beautifully rendered lightly sweet cedar note.

Endymion is definitely too sweet/creamy for my tastes; very much in line with the unisex/gourmand trend. Not to my liking.

Any comments?

I think that Douro is fantastic and I would also suggest Blenheim Bouquet (although I really like BB in the warmer weather too).

Opus 1870 is amazing and perfect for fall/winter. Very woody (cedar), ever so slightly boozy, but not in a bad way at all.

I haven't had the opportunity to sample any of the others, but based on my limited experience, they will be on the short list.

S

Sam

I have a new sample of Limes and of the Eau De Cologne. Anyone fancy a trade for a sample of Opus and maybe Satorial? PM me, as I would like to try those two. Quercus smells like CK Be to my nose.

Opus 1870 is amazing and perfect for fall/winter. Very woody (cedar), ever so slightly boozy, but not in a bad way at all.

I haven't had the opportunity to sample any of the others, but based on my limited experience, they will be on the short list.

Good description of Opus! Thanks for posting. It does have a nice boozy quality. I tend to lump Opus in with Pens BB, EF, and Douro, as all being on somewhat the same continuum, with Opus being my least favorite. But got out my Opus the other day and really focused on it. It is very much dominated by cedar, and is warm and classic. Pens states these notes:

Head Notes: Bourbon black pepper, Yuzu fruit, Coriander
Heart Notes: English Clove Rose, Cinnamon, Incense
Base Notes: Cedarwood, Australian Sandalwood, Ciara wood, Musk

Created in 2005, Opus 1870 is a complex and elegant woody chypre. Opening with a luxurious accord of sweet citrus and fiery black pepper, the heart is lit by the delicacy of English Clove Rose and evocative incense. The base notes are glorious, smoky waves of aromatic cedarwood and sandalwood. Opus 1870 is wonderfully warm and comforting, a fragrance to wrap yourself in on cold winter nights.​

I do not get much incense, and the pepper is not nearly as on top as it is in, say, BB. But I pretty much get some of each of the other notes in there. Great fragrance.

I've noticed that most reviewers, and the fragrance pyramid, neglect to mention tobacco as one of the notes in Opus... I'm pretty sure that I detect tobacco from the start to the finish. Your thoughts?

Good description of Opus! Thanks for posting. It does have a nice boozy quality. I tend to lump Opus in with Pens BB, EF, and Douro, as all being on somewhat the same continuum, with Opus being my least favorite. But got out my Opus the other day and really focused on it. It is very much dominated by cedar, and is warm and classic. Pens states these notes:

Head Notes: Bourbon black pepper, Yuzu fruit, Coriander
Heart Notes: English Clove Rose, Cinnamon, Incense
Base Notes: Cedarwood, Australian Sandalwood, Ciara wood, Musk

Created in 2005, Opus 1870 is a complex and elegant woody chypre. Opening with a luxurious accord of sweet citrus and fiery black pepper, the heart is lit by the delicacy of English Clove Rose and evocative incense. The base notes are glorious, smoky waves of aromatic cedarwood and sandalwood. Opus 1870 is wonderfully warm and comforting, a fragrance to wrap yourself in on cold winter nights.​

I do not get much incense, and the pepper is not nearly as on top as it is in, say, BB. But I pretty much get some of each of the other notes in there. Great fragrance.

I ordered a sample set from Aedes and was surprised by the Hammam. I thought it would be my favorite. But both to my nose by itself, and on the skin it has a very powdery fragrance - about 20 - 30 mins later it settled down to a sweet sandalwood. So far, Elixr has been my favorite scent but I have Opus, Endymion, Racquets, and Bleinheim to go.

Top Bottom