What's new

No more obesity for me

I'm encouraged. Currently 230 and I'd love to weigh 190. I already eat well, but don't exercise nearly enough. I've been bike riding last several weeks 2-3 times a week and plan to increase exercise when I can work out a schedule.

Congrat's again. My wife and I each need to be 20-30 pounds lighter. We've been thinking of ways to drop the weight. Thanks for the great advice.

CONGRATULATIONS :thumbup: :thumbup:...I LOVE hearing these kinds of personal success stories. They are inspiring.

What I would suggest is also the following:

1. Vegetables (as raw as you can...overcooking them kills all the goodness in them)
2. Fruits (lots of fruits). I love berries of any kind. Our fridge is ~80% veggies and fruits. Can't get enough of these per day
3. Eat nuts (walnuts, cashews, peanuts, pistachios...mono- and poly-unsaturated fats are good for your good cholesterol)
4. EXERCISE!!...go walking 20-30 minutes per day. This will help you maintain the weight loss

Just my $.02 (literally)...didn't mean to get carried away with the advice :001_tongu

Fantastic advice above!

Congratulations on reaching your goal, not many people can do that. It sounds like you have made some great lifestyle changes that will also help you to maintain your improved health.

congats (& to everyone who've succeeded at losing weight - and to those who will succeed!

Remember:

if it's white (sugar & white wheat flour & white rice & potatoes), don't bite;

if it's brown, chow down.

Congratulations!

you are to be commended. I know how hard it is. I went on the South Beach diet last Spring and I've lost 40# so far. All of the various diets I've seen will work if you are able to adhere to them. I had to resolve to change my lifestyle and that has been as hard as the dieting.

Keep it up and be well!

congats (& to everyone who've succeeded at losing weight - and to those who will succeed!

Remember:

if it's white (sugar & white wheat flour & white rice & potatoes), don't bite;

if it's brown, chow down.

I'll have another piece of the cake, please ... oh, and maybe a Butterfinger? :001_smile

Losing weight can be costly.I just bought new clothes,tax free weekend here,still spent $700.

But I will look good wearing them.What surprised me was I now wear a 32 waist on jeans.I used to be 36.

Paul

Losing weight can be costly.I just bought new clothes,tax free weekend here,still spent $700.

But I will look good wearing them.What surprised me was I now wear a 32 waist on jeans.I used to be 36.

Paul

I still have some shorts from before I started my diet. Man, have things changed. I cannot even keep them up without a belt.

$700 is a lot of money, but I think it will pay for itself in the end with less risk to heart attack, diabetes, etc.

Fantastic, Way to go and be very inspirational.

Congrats on reaching your goal!

A special thanks to all the tips from everyone as I will soon begin my own journey very soon.

Thank you everyone for the good luck wishes. Also, congratulations to all of those who have lost weight and good luck to those trying to.

A special thanks to all the tips from everyone as I will soon begin my own journey very soon.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, I loathe the taste of diet drinks, so I've added sparkling water (Perrier/Gerolsteiner/San Pellergrino) to the daily repertoire. They're all different and have their charms. The lemon/lime Perrier is actually quite tasty.

If it's available, try picking up some Topo Chico mineral water. They have a lime version, too, and it's much brighter tasting than the Perrier. It's also about the cheapest mineral water on the market.

Huzzah! Great for you. Just out of curiousity, did you use a diet journal, or a nutrition program, like Dietpower or Fitday? When I lost weight those were the biggest secrets to my success, in as much as I had any. I've found that the hardest thing about losing weight is the eating less, and the primary reason that is difficult is because so many of us have lost sight of what a reasonable portion is, or what a five-hundred calorie meal looks like. I remember the first time I kept track of how many calories I had eaten over the course of I day I was floored, and it was the realization that I had no idea how much I was eating or how many calories were in any particular meal I was eating.

Also, did you take any before and after pictures? In the year leading up to my wedding, I lost a total of 70lbs (half of which I ended up gaining back, and finally lost again [list time for good, I hope]) and my wife insisted on doing before and after pictures. I actually still have them and was hoping that someone might be feeling bold enough to post some of their before and afters, so that I might do the same. I certainly am not couragous enough to start such a thread myself, given that those pictures are 2 1/2 years old by now (ie my significant weight loss is old news), and I am loathe to be reveal myself as the raging narcissist that I am. But, I digress.

At any rate, my old internet forum home (www.bikeforums.net) had such a thread and it was and still is one of the most inspiring or perversely compelling forum threads I've ever found. Perhaps I should've made this posted this in a new thread, as I'm certainly not trying to steal your thunder. Oh well.

Once again, I want to extend my congratulations are your no doubt hard-earned victory.

Last edited:
Huzzah! Great for you. Just out of curiousity, did you use a diet journal, or a nutrition program, like Dietpower or Fitday? When I lost weight those were the biggest secrets to my success, in as much as I had any. I've found that the hardest thing about losing weight is the eating less, and the primary reason that is difficult is because so many of us have lost sight of what a reasonable portion is, or what a five-hundred calorie meal looks like. I remember the first time I kept track of how many calories I had eaten over the course of I day I was floored, and it was the realization that I had no idea how much I was eating or how many calories were in any particular meal I was eating.

Also, did you take any before and after pictures? In the year leading up to my wedding, I lost a total of 70lbs (half of which I ended up gaining back, and finally lost again [list time for good, I hope]) and my wife insisted on doing before and after pictures. I actually still have them and was hoping that someone might be feeling bold enough to post some of their before and afters, so that I might do the same. I certainly am not couragous enough to start such a thread myself, given that those pictures are 2 1/2 years old by now (ie my significant weight loss is old news), and I am loathe to be reveal myself as the raging narcissist that I am. But, I digress.

At any rate, my old internet forum home (www.bikeforums.net) had such a thread and it was and still is one of the most inspiring or perversely compelling forum threads I've ever found. Perhaps I should've made this posted this in a new thread, as I'm certainly not trying to steal your thunder. Oh well.

Once again, I want to extend my congratulations are your no doubt hard-earned victory.

I did not keep a journal or anything. It just got to the point where I could keep track of the calories in my head because my meals were all extremely similar.

I did not take any before and after pictures, but I can definitely tell the difference in my Facebook profile pictures. My face, especially my cheeks, is a lot thinner and leaner.

Congratulations on those 70 pounds lost. I am sure you feel a lot better (I sure do).

Just over two weeks later, I have kept the weight off so far. I can now tell how big my portions need to be. I am defintely eating less than I was before. I also stop when I am full, something I could not do before my diet. Unfortunately, this means throwing food away sometimes, such as when I am at a restaurant, but I think that a longer, healthier life is more important.

EDIT: My mother has this book about how French women never get fat. The French cook with lots of butter and eat lots of white bread, so this may be surprising, but they also stop eating when they are full.

One more thing I wanted to add is the amount of fruit I have started consuming. I picked out some superfoods, such as kiwis and blueberries, and eat plenty of those every day.

Last edited:
...is it accurate. I'm 6'5" and 250LBs and accordingly 'obese' per the BMI. Am I dellusional? Look at weight stats for NBA players, lean, fit ****'s who would qualify as obese!?! Admittedly, I could tighted it up a little, but I would need to drop nearly 60lbs to be 'normal'. In high school I was a cross country runner and 6'2"/210lbs.

BMI isn't gospel, in fact it's often wrong. Body fat % is a much better way to determine how much weight you could stand to drop healthily, assuming you aren't building much muscle. Those body fat % scales are said to be unaccurate, if you can get an underwater test they are more precise. In reality the fat inside of you, around your organs and in your blood, is more closely related to your health than the fat on the outside, so weight isn't everything

CONGRATULATIONS :thumbup: :thumbup:...I LOVE hearing these kinds of personal success stories. They are inspiring.

What I would suggest is also the following:

1. Vegetables (as raw as you can...overcooking them kills all the goodness in them)
2. Fruits (lots of fruits). I love berries of any kind. Our fridge is ~80% veggies and fruits. Can't get enough of these per day
3. Eat nuts (walnuts, cashews, peanuts, pistachios...mono- and poly-unsaturated fats are good for your good cholesterol)
4. EXERCISE!!...go walking 20-30 minutes per day. This will help you maintain the weight loss

Just my $.02 (literally)...didn't mean to get carried away with the advice :001_tongu

+1

Congrats!

Another good tip is to drink lots of water. Often if you're still feeling hungry 30 min - 2 /12 hours after eating you can solve it with a glass of water.

Over the last year I've been eating a lot more fruit and vegetables, and mostly fish instead of red meat. Not really as part of any plan, I thought it would just be good for me. I haven't lost much weight - maybe one stone? - but my waist size has gone down by six inches.

My theory is that it is fine to gorge yourself on healthy food. It fills you up so there's no room or cravings for junk.

Top Bottom