What's new

No more obesity for me

Early this year I planned to redo my wardrobe. I wanted to go clothes shopping, but did not feel comfortable with my sizes, so I decided to go on a diet.

I started eating more fruits, only whole grain bread, made my sugar and fat intake as small as possible, and, most importantly, stopped eating after dinner. Eating after dinner is what always got me. I get hungry at night and all those calories just turn into fat. I also chose one splurge day (Friday for me), where I would pig out. When I had to break my diet, such as when I was invited out to dinner, I tried choosing only vegetables as sides or made my burger bun whole wheat.

One thing that really helped me was Diet Coke and Coke Zero. If I ever had a sweet tooth, these no-calories drinks were a good way to resist eating dessert. Gum also worked very well at curbing cravings for me.

After several months of dieting and a few of just trying to maintain my weight, I have finally reached my goal. I started at just over 250 pounds, which according to the BMI scale is obese for my height. I borrowed a friend's caliper and found that my ideal weight would be around 190. I feel much better now.

CONGRATULATIONS :thumbup: :thumbup:...I LOVE hearing these kinds of personal success stories. They are inspiring.

What I would suggest is also the following:

1. Vegetables (as raw as you can...overcooking them kills all the goodness in them)
2. Fruits (lots of fruits). I love berries of any kind. Our fridge is ~80% veggies and fruits. Can't get enough of these per day
3. Eat nuts (walnuts, cashews, peanuts, pistachios...mono- and poly-unsaturated fats are good for your good cholesterol)
4. EXERCISE!!...go walking 20-30 minutes per day. This will help you maintain the weight loss

Just my $.02 (literally)...didn't mean to get carried away with the advice :001_tongu

Early this year I planned to redo my wardrobe. I wanted to go clothes shopping, but did not feel comfortable with my sizes, so I decided to go on a diet.

I started eating more fruits, only whole grain bread, made my sugar and fat intake as small as possible, and, most importantly, stopped eating after dinner. Eating after dinner is what always got me. I get hungry at night and all those calories just turn into fat. I also chose one splurge day (Friday for me), where I would pig out. When I had to break my diet, such as when I was invited out to dinner, I tried choosing only vegetables as sides or made my burger bun whole wheat.

One thing that really helped me was Diet Coke and Coke Zero. If I ever had a sweet tooth, these no-calories drinks were a good way to resist eating dessert. Gum also worked very well at curbing cravings for me.

After several months of dieting and a few of just trying to maintain my weight, I have finally reached my goal. I started at just over 250 pounds, which according to the BMI scale is obese for my height. I borrowed a friend's caliper and found that my ideal weight would be around 190. I feel much better now.

Congratulations!!

I'm trying to lose a few pounds myself. You have a lot of good advice, especially the splurge day. The big change I've made is to limit portions and not necessarily any particular food. By getting in that habit, my splurge days aren't really tha crazy.

Unfortunately, I loathe the taste of diet drinks, so I've added sparkling water (Perrier/Gerolsteiner/San Pellergrino) to the daily repertoire. They're all different and have their charms. The lemon/lime Perrier is actually quite tasty.

I'm also doing a test run of adding Stevia to my coffee instead of sugar. Though some people actually prefer Aspartame (yech!) to sugar in their coffee, I don't like any of the artificial sweeteners. The Stevia is certainly "okay" and I'm running through the box to see if my tastebuds adapt to it.

I've been maintaining 195 for years now, but should really be around 170 for my height. Thanks for your story. What one man can do, so can another, right? :)

Steve

I lost around 30 pounds myself recently and I look and feel alot better.I walk at a brisk pace for an hour 5 times a week still,even after I made 170lbs.

Paul

Congrats! I stripped off around 100, and mostly did it with dietary changes. Keeping an eye on calories is what made the difference. No trouble with maintenance, either, as long as I keep an eye on intake.

Thank you for all the congratulations wishes.

CONGRATULATIONS :thumbup: :thumbup:...I LOVE hearing these kinds of personal success stories. They are inspiring.

What I would suggest is also the following:

1. Vegetables (as raw as you can...overcooking them kills all the goodness in them)
2. Fruits (lots of fruits). I love berries of any kind. Our fridge is ~80% veggies and fruits. Can't get enough of these per day
3. Eat nuts (walnuts, cashews, peanuts, pistachios...mono- and poly-unsaturated fats are good for your good cholesterol)
4. EXERCISE!!...go walking 20-30 minutes per day. This will help you maintain the weight loss

Just my $.02 (literally)...didn't mean to get carried away with the advice :001_tongu

Robert, that is come excellent advice. I love pistachios, so I will be sure to pick some up tomorrow from the grocery store, which I will be walking to :wink:

Unfortunately, I loathe the taste of diet drinks, so I've added sparkling water (Perrier/Gerolsteiner/San Pellergrino) to the daily repertoire. They're all different and have their charms. The lemon/lime Perrier is actually quite tasty.

Good luck with your weight loss. If I can do it, anyone can. As for the diet drinks, try diet Dr. Pepper. It tastes just like the "real" thing. I too hated diet drinks, but if you can get used to them (or at least I did).

I lost around 30 pounds myself recently and I look and feel alot better.

Congratulations!

Congratulation, Truly Congrats. As someone who resembles your former self and has for some time, I understand all too well the enormity of the psychological and physical mountain you are climbing. You should give yourself kudos everyday because you are among a few that are conquering thy self.

Kudos to you! I hope you enjoy the new you and just remember to keep your eyes on the prize. It's amazing what a few changes in diet and routine can do for your weight. The no eating after dinner has a massive impact as your metabolism goes to sleep when you do.

Keep up the good work:thumbup1:

Congrats!! Just another tip, I don't don't know if you are a drinker or not, but cutting it down big time or eliminating alcohol will help alot.

Congratulations! That's great!

Eating fruit really helps curb any craving I have for sugar. I find that grapes are one of the best as you can eat them in the same manner you'd eat candy or chips. It's sort of a psychological trick to go with the physical benefit of the natural, healthy sugar in them.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If I could make only one suggestion, it would be to get into weight training. Muscle, even at rest, consumes energy. Adding muscle will help you to achieve a harder, leaner look that will have you proud to take off your shirt. More muscle will help you to keep the fat off while allowing you to eat more satisfying portions of healthy foods. Plus it is a lot of fun, even addictive after a fashion, and an activity that you might continue to indulge in because you enjoy it, and not simply because you want to "burn off" some calories.

Congrats. That reminds me that I have to go to the gym.
Haven't been in a while.

My friend once told me after I lost 10 kg., he said "go to the grocery store and pick up a sack of sugar. Remember that you were carrying around that weight with you all the time??"

You know, that really made a difference and put it into perspective.

Good job.

Top Bottom