What's new

Feather All-Stainless DE

Paint? Um, I'd say it was highly unlikely. It looks (and feels) like a beadblasted finish to me.

Furthermore, looking at the logo on the head under 100x magnification shows etched steel. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

I noticed that it's very hard to keep clean, it shows fingerprints quickly in the form of dark spots and it's harder to wipe it clean than a chrome one.

I'd be pretty upset to have it show signs of wear quickly given the price, but then again, I'd shave with it to remind myself of its smoothness, forgive it and I'd try to justify it by thinking it will look "vintage" faster :smile:

I haven't had any problems with mine. I wipe it with a microfiber cloth after every shave. Maybe mine just hasn't shown wear yet?

On the other hand, maybe you can remove the scratches with fine-grit sandpaper?

Oops, I talked out of my butt there. Brushed stainless can be buffed with fine sandpaper or scotch-brite pads, beadblasted not so much. With our razors, I think all surfaces have been beadblasted save for the top of the portion of the head that pins the blade to the cap. That's been brushed. Why would Feather do that though?

Last edited:
I noticed that it's very hard to keep clean, it shows fingerprints quickly in the form of dark spots and it's harder to wipe it clean than a chrome one.

I'd be pretty upset to have it show signs of wear quickly given the price, but then again, I'd shave with it to remind myself of its smoothness, forgive it and I'd try to justify it by thinking it will look "vintage" faster :smile:

I have been trying to really pay attention to this issue on my own pieces.

I have seen the discolored fingerprints from handling when I remove a blade or some residue, but not any scuffing. Maybe the microfiber cloth is gentle enough not to scuff, but clears any of the oils/soap residue cleanly in maybe 3 seconds. I have a new EJ89 that gets the same fingerprint oils, and it looks just as bad until i wipe it off.

That is typical of stainless finishes--sometimes. They can be difficult to keep clean of things like fingerprints.

I am really digging the look of the Feather Stainless.

Isopropyl alcohol. I learned to use this after we installed a dishwasher with brush SS. I tried it once on my Feather before it left and it worked like a charm.

Yes, that's what I do to my own razors but I didn't want to try it on your razor Bill of fear of destroying its finish, hence my question whether it might be painted. But if you say it's OK I'll give it a light rub before I mail it.

I noticed that the razor shows a discoloration on the screw and on the inner screw thread. It looks a bit orangish - I wonder whether it is possible the razor is not 100% made of stainless steel, but there are also parts made of alloy.

Anyone else who has a similar experience?

Isopropyl alcohol. I learned to use this after we installed a dishwasher with brush SS. I tried it once on my Feather before it left and it worked like a charm.

What a great bit of education for us. There are several things around my house that I am now going to try that on.

Thanks Bill

JR

The coloring is residue of polishing compound and using a Q-tip with a bit of quality non detergent oil will give a slight sheen which will cause heart fluttering and big smiles. If there is any fingerprints they are to determine ownership and to let our wives know we are buying these razors for research purposes and helping the economy get back. We must all do our thing...BUY RAZORS !!!!!!!!

Interesting ..go to Google search and look up PEARSKIN FINISH..apparently it is a treatment found on high quality knives and teapots..do to the final preparation not a coating...kind of like bead blasting on a S @ W stainless handgun ( which is needed to protect my razor collection.) The PILS stainless is different..just polished satin . I,m sure either one will outlast any and all of us..so don,t worry..enjoy the shave!!!!!!!!

I noticed that the razor shows a discoloration on the screw and on the inner screw thread. It looks a bit orangish - I wonder whether it is possible the razor is not 100% made of stainless steel, but there are also parts made of alloy.

Anyone else who has a similar experience?

Mine has a small discoloration on the screw like yours. I haven't tried to clean it off as of yet...anyone else try to?

Mine has a small discoloration on the screw like yours. I haven't tried to clean it off as of yet...anyone else try to?
Spend more time shaving and not looking at polishing residue on the screw threads.This is like the PILS razor.... a mans tool . This is something to carry around without a permit..concealed if necessary and go around kicking ***. Sorry but these are the facts..just the facts. By the way I read all this in an eposode of Criminal Minds.

Last edited:
It's more like $225 shipped from hairizon for the Japanese version. So, an extra $75 for the stand, which really isn't outlandish in the land of razor stands, especially ones that are a solid block of stainless steel.

Interesting ..go to Google search and look up PEARSKIN FINISH..apparently it is a treatment found on high quality knives and teapots..do to the final preparation not a coating...kind of like bead blasting on a S @ W stainless handgun ( which is needed to protect my razor collection.) The PILS stainless is different..just polished satin . I,m sure either one will outlast any and all of us..so don,t worry..enjoy the shave!!!!!!!!

a couple of days ago, I searched just for the term "pearskin". barely any logical results, adding "finish" made quite a difference. thanks

this is the best description I saw

Dull finish, which is attained by attaching numerous fine grains onto the steel surface, is often called 'pear-skin finish' or 'egg-shell texture'. The grains are made by steel grit blasted roll. The dull finish is useful in drawing because lubricant oil can be evenly spread over the entire surface, thereby reducing the possibility of friction. The fine grains also help boost paint adherence and extend the steel life span of the steel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom