What's new

Feather All-Stainless DE

They may get more of my money if my razor doesn't return! :tongue_sm

Meanwhile Bill is keeping himself from mourning his Feather by buying a British Tech. How do those shave? More aggressive than the US versions? Why is it that the UK got all the nice Gillette designs while the US seems to have been stuck with the cheap looking ones?

So I had a chance to play with a Feather when I popped into the Men's Room earlier today (ok, that sounds weird... but I'm not editing the sentence). It's heavy, looks well made, the satin finish is beautiful. However, I'm not sure if I'd be getting good value at $150+. When I put it on the display counter next to the Merkurs and Parkers, I honestly couldn't tell which razor is $30 and which is $159. This Parker looked great in person by the way. Now I'm conflicted.

So I had a chance to play with a Feather when I popped into the Men's Room earlier today (ok, that sounds weird... but I'm not editing the sentence). It's heavy, looks well made, the satin finish is beautiful. However, I'm not sure if I'd be getting good value at $150+. When I put it on the display counter next to the Merkurs and Parkers, I honestly couldn't tell which razor is $30 and which is $159. This Parker looked great in person by the way. Now I'm conflicted.

To me it's very important how it shaves, not only how it looks. Parkers may look good but from what I read they have quality issues, the blade wiggles, etc. Same with Merkurs, the quality control leaves a bit to be desired. I think EJ and Mühle are in a different class though.

I agree on the value part with the Feather though. It's not a cheap razor no matter how much we try to justify a purchase. That's why I'm grateful to Bill for letting me test-drive his before I spend that kind of money on a razor (it would be my most expensive shaving item I ever purchased). Now, if it were a $50-$70 razor, I wouldn't have a problem buying it blindly.

Meanwhile Bill is keeping himself from mourning his Feather by buying a British Tech. How do those shave? More aggressive than the US versions? Why is it that the UK got all the nice Gillette designs while the US seems to have been stuck with the cheap looking ones?

Nah, purely a collecting move. :laugh:

To me it's very important how it shaves, not only how it looks. Parkers may look good but from what I read they have quality issues, the blade wiggles, etc. Same with Merkurs, the quality control leaves a bit to be desired. I think EJ and Mühle are in a different class though.

I agree. And I'm certainly not recommending a Parker. Nor am I trying to be a buzzkill here. I was gung-ho on ordering a Japanese version of this razor. But now that I've seen and handled one in person, I'm more like... I don't get the $150 price.

However, I'm still not ruling out getting this razor! :tongue_sm

I'll let you know how it shaves, most importantly. As with all "premium" products in any category, whether the extra money is worth it is always the question. But, I've been DE shaving for 5 years with my Futur+Feather blades, and the blade gap is slightly different on each side. It is enticing to at least try a razor built to better quality standards (though the Futur really is a great razor).

As I note in my review I don't believe it's worth $160 either, but I do believe it's worth a premium. I think $79.99 is a fair price for something like this, considering that the high-end EJ and Muhle models go for more.

Oh... wow. I didn't know that Classic Shaving had a place set up in Palm Springs.

Apologies, wallet.

I pass through there fairly often - I live in LA and I've got business in Yuma, Arizona. I will be stopping in sooner or later. I might have to spring for a professional shave!

Erik, if you were passing it would be rude not to stop. Even if it is just for a look you know you HAVE to stop:lol:

I noted Hairizon have decremented their stock on the webpage of the full Japenese kit from 3 down to 2; mind you it looks like a manual listing ie. not live stock. I ordered the full kit after my email exchange with them and have a tracking number so hopefully soon one of these will reach the UK shores soon and I will post my thoughts on it when it arrives.

That is it no more razor for now.....well apart from that #58 I bought yesterday:blushing:

Erik, if you were passing it would be rude not to stop. Even if it is just for a look you know you HAVE to stop:lol:

I noted Hairizon have decremented their stock on the webpage of the full Japenese kit from 3 down to 2; mind you it looks like a manual listing ie. not live stock. I ordered the full kit after my email exchange with them and have a tracking number so hopefully soon one of these will reach the UK shores soon and I will post my thoughts on it when it arrives.

That is it no more razor for now.....well apart from that #58 I bought yesterday:blushing:

I too have a tracking number for the full kit and it's all your fault :biggrin1: any indication of delivery schedule when you spoke to them?

I think I hit the perfect storm of holidays with my order -- I ordered Thursday too late in the day, then Friday was a holiday in Singapore and Monday is a holiday here in the US. My package is never going to get anywhere!

I too have a tracking number for the full kit and it's all your fault :biggrin1: any indication of delivery schedule when you spoke to them?

7-10 working days is normal for Singapore to UK via Airmail but can take up to 14. This was from previous experience not from Hairizon. They stated dispatch withing 3 working days but I got the postal confirmation same day, from there you are at the mercy of the postal services.

New member post here. I wanted to add to the posts for Hairizon.com.sg. I ordered and received the Feather DE razor from them - at the time they were the only Internet vendor with them in stock. Receipt was 7 days from their email giving the shipped information. I am very happy with their service as they responded to my query that they had them in stock and shipment within one day of ordering confirmed the accuracy of their reply. I have now ordered the full "Japanese" gift set from them (yes, I want that stand!) and they offered some compensation on pricing when I asked them - very accomodating people. It shipped yesterday (5/31).

For those that have not purchased from Singapore merchants (I have bought several Seiko watches through that source), shipments have a Singapore Post tracking, which will show "dispatched to overseas..." as the final status. That tells you the package has actually shipped and is on its way. After that, there is no further tacking available (that I know of) - the package drops into a sort of limbo mode until it arrives at your address. The watches worked that way, and the razor also.

Regarding the razor itself, the construction is as reported - essentially flawless machine manufacturing, beautiful finish, excellent knurled grip. Whether it is worth the price is something everyone has to decide for themselves. For me, it is in that I expect at that price there should be no initial disappointment (the "I've been screwed..." syndrome) .

My only other DE razor is a EJ bought from Dulluth Trading, a very fine razor, particularly considering it's price point. I only have three shaves on a DE razor, not having used one in over 30 years (and that was in Basic training where the infamous "SSS" must be done in 5 minutes!). My normal is a tried and true Gillette Sensor Excel (2-blade) system with Edge gel, which I have worked out over many years (dropped back from the 3-blade Sensor 3 blade to the 2-blade one). But the Feather is handling well considering I must adjust to a different instrument with different weight and balance and also head shape.

The sensor is still my tool of choice when forced into cartridge use, the last of the ones where the blade is attached to the head in a traditional style; and in my opinion (which is clearly biased) the best one that is still readily available.

Thanks for the comments on Hairizon, my tracking number is just not found but it was the weekend so didn't really expect any update till middle of this week.

I know what you mean about the tracking, if I post a parcel UK to the US the tracking will go as far as the handover to the next postal service then that is as far as it goes. You can pay extra for international signed for but it is quite expensive.

You sound as if you are getting on fine with the Feather and clearly a man of experience so I would not be silly enough to say it is not a "beginners" razor. It is more just that the Feather is not typical of the razors out there. I fear that if you buy a vintage DE now you will be awfully disappointed with the finish but it is well worth trying a few if you see them cheap enough they all have their own characters.

Since you have two Feathers now can I come stay at your house? it sounds like my kinda house:thumbup1:

The house is not as neat (cool) as it used to be! :001_smile

I would let the first Feather go, but forum rules forbid it at this time and I am not normally much of a poster on forums. Posted here because hairizon.com.sg was very good on delivering product for something hard to come by and people were posting for help in finding other sources for the razor.

My interest in DE razors is minimal at best, so expect to stay with the Feather simply because I like nice equipment and it encourages me to learn (relearn) DE shaving. Sensor Excel cartridges are expensive, and sometimes hard to fine, while DE blades are much more readily available so that is what led me into this interest.

Actually, my tracking shows today on the Singapore Post site, it would seem yours should also.

The sensor is still my tool of choice when forced into cartridge use, the last of the ones where the blade is attached to the head in a traditional style; and in my opinion (which is clearly biased) the best one that is still readily available.

I love the Sensor (with the regular non-Excel blades) and I tried them all cartridges I think. It works best for me, I can get a great shave with it that many times I wonder why I mess around with DE's - oh yeah, because I'm an addict! I still use the Sensor when I travel or when I'm in a rush or just want a quick comfortable shave. What I noticed though is that over time the quality of the blades decreased, now the only blades I can find are made in Brazil and they changed the metal guard to some disposable razor looking plastic guard :sad:

Top Bottom