What's new

Your Favorite Lavender Cologne or Product

Thanks. The counter is recycled glass in resin. I really like it too, plus I earned some tree hugging points for it too :w00t:

I thought that's what it was. Last two houses I "built" (I was production manager) in Dallas we used a lot of stainless steel and exotic woods. Splash material was always a crap-shoot. A couple of times we ripped our own splashes out of exotic paneling. Now that we are all making our own brushes I wish I had saved some scraps.

For me it would be Floris No.89. Not a strong lavender note, but nice.

Weird. I used all 4 No. 89's the other day (cream,AS,ASB,Edc) and one thing that never would have occurred to me was "lavender".

I'll be interested to see how long that sticks around. I'm guessing that's old stock they have on hand.

I wonder how old the stock is...2-3 years? Does the scent dissipate after a certain amount of time?

And this is the only place that I've found the AdP, so don't go buying the last bottle!!

Yes, absolutely. SMN Imperial Lavender is one of my favorite colognes of any scent, and unquestionably my single favorite lavender cologne. (With the caveat that I have not yet tried Caldey Abbey.)

I sampled SMN Imperial Lavender again today, C&S O&C yesterday and I really love both scents. I really want to buy the SMN Imperial Lavender because I have 20% off coupon from MiN but I can't get past the fact that it only last a couple of hours on me. I applied SMN IL this morning about 6:30AM and two hours later, I can only smell a very faint scent.

I applied SMN IL this morning about 6:30AM and two hours later, I can only smell a very faint scent.

How did you apply it? If you're dabbing on a little bit from a sample vial, it won't last long at all. The full-size bottle is a splash, which allows me to put a pretty liberal dose on my chest (not good for economy, alas, but it's called for with this product), and putting a shirt on over it helps to trap the scent. I get fairly good longevity this way, although it still won't equal the staying power of more potent EdTs and EdCs.

If you like both scents equally well, then I would say O&C would actually be the better buy, because it is considerably more potent; you will get more for your money. To me, the SMN is like a beautiful woman who is ridiculously high maintenance, but you go through the bother anyway because there's just nobody else like her. Obviously, if you could find somebody just as beautiful who's easier to deal with, you'd sh*tcan the high-maintenance chick in a heartbeat.

How did you apply it? If you're dabbing on a little bit from a sample vial, it won't last long at all. The full-size bottle is a splash, which allows me to put a pretty liberal dose on my chest (not good for economy, alas, but it's called for with this product), and putting a shirt on over it helps to trap the scent. I get fairly good longevity this way, although it still won't equal the staying power of more potent EdTs and EdCs.

Yes, I'm using a sample vial and using a good 5 or 6 swipes on each arm and 3 on each side of my neck and chest bone. I use the undershirt smell trap also.

If you like both scents equally well, then I would say O&C would actually be the better buy, because it is considerably more potent; you will get more for your money. To me, the SMN is like a beautiful woman who is ridiculously high maintenance, but you go through the bother anyway because there's just nobody else like her. Obviously, if you could find somebody just as beautiful who's easier to deal with, you'd sh*tcan the high-maintenance chick in a heartbeat.

Love the analogy...very appropriate!!

Yes, I'm using a sample vial and using a good 5 or 6 swipes on each arm and 3 on each side of my neck and chest bone. I use the undershirt smell trap also.

Like I said, the Imperial Lavender needs to be splashed on pretty liberally. If I did that with any other cologne, I wouldn't be able to stand being around myself. It definitely calls value into question. It's debatable, but one could reasonably consider 75ml bottles of Creed EdPs that sell for $210 to be a better value than a 100ml bottle of Imperial Lavender at $110, because the Creeds are so much more potent. But as it is, there are no Creed EdPs I like as well as Imperial Lavender. Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender is a possible consideration, although as one of their older EdTs, it's not as potent as their EdPs. And although I think the Royal Scottish Lavender still has more staying power than the SMN (if I recall...it's been a while), I just don't like it as well. But you might.

Like I said, the Imperial Lavender needs to be splashed on pretty liberally. If I did that with any other cologne, I wouldn't be able to stand being around myself. It definitely calls value into question. It's debatable, but one could reasonably consider 75ml bottles of Creed EdPs that sell for $210 to be a better value than a 100ml bottle of Imperial Lavender at $110, because the Creeds are so much more potent. But as it is, there are no Creed EdPs I like as well as Imperial Lavender. Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender is a possible consideration, although as one of their older EdTs, it's not as potent as their EdPs. And although I think the Royal Scottish Lavender still has more staying power than the SMN (if I recall...it's been a while), I just don't like it as well. But you might.

I see your point. Does the fact that I have a 20% off coupon from MiN that drops the price down to $88 help the "value"? I sure do wish the Imperial Lavender had better staying power.

I'll wear the last of my C&S O&C sample tomorrow.

I see your point. Does the fact that I have a 20% off coupon from MiN that drops the price down to $88 help the "value"? I sure do wish the Imperial Lavender had better staying power.

I'll wear the last of my C&S O&C sample tomorrow.

Most SMN colognes last a good 8 hours on my person. The same holds true for Imperial Lavender. It varies from person to person.

Does the fact that I have a 20% off coupon from MiN that drops the price down to $88 help the "value"?

Well, it helps the value relative to itself - I mean, obviously getting a product for $88 is a better value than getting the same product for $110. Now, if you're looking for some kind of quantified statement of value - like is Imperial Lavender 20% weaker than Oxford & Cambridge, so by paying 20% less, you're breaking even - I can't tell you that. In my opinion, if you like both the SMN and O&C equally, then go with the O&C, due to its greater potency. If you like the SMN better, then go with that. You can get it at a discount, you'll be able to play around with how much you put on to see how that affects its staying power, and you'll enjoy the scent. If you end up finding it's too weak and you go through a bottle too fast, then you'll know not to buy another bottle at full price. Conversely, if the issue with staying power is such that you really worry you'll regret even your first purchase at a discount, then maybe you should go with the O&C. That's my advice, which I fully understand if you don't follow.

Not looking for a statement of value...after all, each person perceives value differently.

I really do appreciate your input Horatio!!

I am enjoying the SMN Lavender AS. This is serious lavender, and the splash feels darn nice.

I love the lavender a/s, but I will point out that it's not the same scent as the Imperial Lavender. If someone considers going with the aftershave instead of the cologne, they'd be well advised to get a sample first. Also, the scent of the a/s has changed several times over the last few years, and some stores have old testers on hand; so anybody ordering a sample would do well to make sure the tester from which the sample is obtained matches the actual product they'll sell you if/when you place an order.

Last edited:
I haven't tried a lot of lavenders but two that I like:

L'Occitane Eau de L'Occitan: really nice pepper and lavender opening that dries down to a cedar/burnt wood base.

Huge +1. I finally picked up a bottle last week after wanting one for months and I can't stop smelling my wrists. On me, the pepper overpowers the lavender for the first few minutes but I'm still getting really nice lavender notes 4 hours after applying it. Great staying power, too.

Top Bottom