What's new

Gillette Tech ball end - It is a mild shaver - Need to adapt my shaving techniques?

Gentlemen,

As some of you may have noticed here in The Score, I found some Gillette razors.

One of them is an alu Tech (kindly identified by B&B member Merwtje - thx!).
Opinions seem to differ. Merwtje classifies the Tech as a 'bit aggressive', the B&B wiki denotes it 'a mild shaver'.

I found it to be very mild - in fact a bit too mild for my likings.
After two shaves, I found a way too handle it and it does the job, but for a good shave I still have to get back to my Muhle R106 for a second pass.

The question here is: So, did I do something wrong? Need to adapt my shaving techniques?

Any tips to use this razor a bit more effective?

The razor:
proxy.php

My first DE was a Tech. It is indeed a very mild shaver, at least with the blades I tried in it. Too mild for my taste. I much prefer my SS's and my Slim, now that I'm a veteran of almost three months of this DE shaving thing :001_smile

I have read that the Tech does yoeman work when combined with a Feather blade, but I have yet to try that combination...

After two shaves, I found a way too handle it and it does the job, but for a good shave I still have to get back to my Muhle R106 for a second pass.

The question here is: So, did I do something wrong? Need to adapt my shaving techniques?

How many total passes are you doing with the Tech?

I don't think it's realistic to expect a close, comfortable shave with one pass from any DE razor.

The name of the game is "beard reduction", which means each pass reduces your beard, more than the previous one. The final result being a close, stubble free shave.

You can't eliminate your beard hair in one pass, unless you apply a ton of pressure, and then irritation, and cuts are bound to result. OUCH!

Last edited:
I have a fat handle and a ball end Tech. Both are mild, yes, but when partnered with a Feather or other sharp blade, its great!!

I agree with michiganlover. I haven't tried an Aluminum handled Tech yet, although I did pick one up cheap. I have a gold tech ball-end with the solid brass handle that works well with a sharper blade like a Derby or Wilkinson Sword Classic (white pack). Haven't gotten to my Feathers in a sampler yet, so can't say for those.

The Tech seems to be a perfectly capable shaver, and seems to me to be a great razor to learn with. It is mild, but responds well to good technique so that you can tell when you are really getting it right. Where the NEW for me is a much quicker beard reducer and has a very satisfying sound, it can create some irritation if you aren't careful, but does not provide the same level of feedback.

I started out with a ball end went thought the blade samples, the only blade that worked for me were feathers.

I've found that the blade gap is so narrow (definition of mild) that the angle must be maintained precisely in order to get a proper shave.

When I first tried the Tech, I didn't like it either because I couldn't get a close shave; or it took too many passes. Once my technique improved (I maintained proper angles) it provided a great shave.

How many total passes are you doing with the Tech?

I don't think it's realistic to expect a close, comfortable shave with one pass from any DE razor.

Thanks for your reply.
I do two passes at least, but even then the effect of the Tech compared to the Flare Tip Rocket or the Muhle R106 is enormous.

I've found that the blade gap is so narrow (definition of mild) that the angle must be maintained precisely in order to get a proper shave.

When I first tried the Tech, I didn't like it either because I couldn't get a close shave; or it took too many passes. Once my technique improved (I maintained proper angles) it provided a great shave.

Thank you for your reply!

This seems true also in my case. Shaving is indeed better when much more attentive to and experimenting with the blade angle.

The Tech may just need a bit more attention.

I'm not puttin it on the BST yet :tongue_sm

That is it in a nutshell, and exactly why the Tech is a great starter razor. When your technique is off, instead of getting nicks and nasty razor burn you just get a less than perfect shave, assuming your technique is at least somewhat adequate. As your technique improves your shaves get better.

Summary: A mild razor teaches you technique by rewarding you with success. An aggressive razor teaches you technique by punishing you with pain.

And once your technique has reached a decent level the mild razor gives you a great shave. A more aggressive razor in the hands of an experienced shaver might allow that shaver to make some improvement over a shave with a milder razor since there will be more freedom in establishing the perfect blade angle. But I see that as a second-order effect.

I know a lot of people may cringe when I say this, but I use a little pressure on my first pass (WTG). Just a tiny bit to compensate for it being such a light razor. A little goes a long way. After that first pass I switch back to no pressure.

+1. My ball end tech is not mild at all with a Derby blade and the correct angle. Two pass BBS for me this morning.:w00t:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Agreed with everyone above. Tech is great to start with. It might also be great to continue with. In your case, it might be good to travel with or you might need to get more passes to achieve a BBS.

I eventually sold my Techs because they were not aggressive enough. You might be able to get something out of it with a sharper blade as Bob pointed out. Feather or Kai might be the one...

In one of Mantics videos he demonstrates a 'blade buffing' technique for a later pass which I find does a very good job on the jawline & neck. That might work with a mild razor.

That is it in a nutshell, and exactly why the Tech is a great starter razor. When your technique is off, instead of getting nicks and nasty razor burn you just get a less than perfect shave, assuming your technique is at least somewhat adequate. As your technique improves your shaves get better.

Summary: A mild razor teaches you technique by rewarding you with success. An aggressive razor teaches you technique by punishing you with pain.

And once your technique has reached a decent level the mild razor gives you a great shave. A more aggressive razor in the hands of an experienced shaver might allow that shaver to make some improvement over a shave with a milder razor since there will be more freedom in establishing the perfect blade angle. But I see that as a second-order effect.

Thanks Robert. I've been wondering if what you say is true and I've been hoping to hear it more. The basic question is: All things being equal and in the hands of a great technician, will A Tech razor give as good of a shave as a, let's say, Slant razor?

This is it exactly. It is a mild razor but being so mild and light weight it provides great feedback about your technique. Every skip or snag of the blade is transmitted through the handle. Its like running the needle of a record player over a record.

I found that an aluminium tech with a feather or red personna was the best teaching aid about proper blade angle while still giving a close shave. I reckon every newbie should start out on one.

i would think in the hands of a "skilled technician" the shaves should be pretty close to equal. i recently obtained a 66 tech and find it to be....at least for my face... nearly perfect. i have a slim as well, but the tech does a better job. ymmv of course.

Top Bottom