What's new

Gillette Tech ball end - It is a mild shaver - Need to adapt my shaving techniques?

That is it in a nutshell, and exactly why the Tech is a great starter razor. When your technique is off, instead of getting nicks and nasty razor burn you just get a less than perfect shave, assuming your technique is at least somewhat adequate. As your technique improves your shaves get better.

Summary: A mild razor teaches you technique by rewarding you with success. An aggressive razor teaches you technique by punishing you with pain.

And once your technique has reached a decent level the mild razor gives you a great shave. A more aggressive razor in the hands of an experienced shaver might allow that shaver to make some improvement over a shave with a milder razor since there will be more freedom in establishing the perfect blade angle. But I see that as a second-order effect.

Exactly.

That is it in a nutshell, and exactly why the Tech is a great starter razor. When your technique is off, instead of getting nicks and nasty razor burn you just get a less than perfect shave, assuming your technique is at least somewhat adequate. As your technique improves your shaves get better.

Summary: A mild razor teaches you technique by rewarding you with success. An aggressive razor teaches you technique by punishing you with pain.

And once your technique has reached a decent level the mild razor gives you a great shave. A more aggressive razor in the hands of an experienced shaver might allow that shaver to make some improvement over a shave with a milder razor since there will be more freedom in establishing the perfect blade angle. But I see that as a second-order effect.

Well put. For me, I get a BBS shave with both my mild and aggressive razors. The difference between the two, for me, is what results from poor technique. With a mild razor, there is a smaller range of blade angles that still gives an extremely close shave. The advantage is that it is much more forgiving of too much pressure. The end result of suboptimal technique is a shave that isn't as close as you would like. With aggressive razors, there is a larger range of blade angles that result in a BBS shave. The trade off is that it will be much less forgiving of too much pressure. The end results of poor technique are nicks and weepers. For this reason, a mild razor is probably best when starting, as those used to cartridge razors almost always shave with too much pressure at first. I, like many here, found better success with aggressive razors after my first couple of months. I was actually surprised when, after a couple of years, I pulled the Tech back out and ended up with an effortless BBS shave. I now use my Tech (which is my favorite razor now) more often than my aggressive razors.

Mike

I would agree with what most have written here. The Tech is a mild shaver but when paired with a good blade- can deliver a very nice shave. I find I can a very nice 3 pass shave with the Tech. I primarily use it during travel due to its size and weight.

Not sure this could have been stated more perfectly.

I liked aggressive razors for a time because I too thought they were more efficient, and that meant it shaved better. But, in reality, aggressive razors slice through my hair very roughly, and I can feel it tug on every hair against the grain. I've found that mild razors provide me with a much nicer shave against the grain, because I barely feel it mowing down the hair.

I have a '46-50 Tech and with an Astra blade it's a winning combination. I also have a pre-war fat handle tech that does a good job, but I prefer the post war version.

I started out with a ball end went thought the blade samples, the only blade that worked for me were feathers.
As a newbie to DE shaving I use an Edwin Jagger DE87 currently and the feather blades are the best I've tried with it, Derby's were good, Astras were better but feathers felt like silk over my face. I get shaving rash on the bottom of my neck no matter what, I've mapped my growth, use preshave oil, go with then across the grain but the left side of my neck gets rash regardless

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I get shaving rash on the bottom of my neck no matter what, I've mapped my growth, use preshave oil, go with then across the grain but the left side of my neck gets rash regardless

Welcome to the forum!

Feather blades most likely work the best because they're sharper. That added sharpness compensates for the lack of blade support the typical EJ/Merkur/Muhle baseplate has. This is something I've said many times. Usually it falls on deaf ears lol.

Give this thread a read: Rigidity in DE Safety Razors

Edwin Jagger DE89 baseplate and blade support points.
de89 support points.jpg

Muhle R41 baseplate and blade support points.
R41 support points.jpg

Both razors share the same basic design in regards to baseplate support of the blade. That lack of support can lead to blade flex, which in turn can lead to what you're experiencing, and worse.

Blade flex cannot happen in a razor such as a post war Gillette Tech because the baseplate fully supports the blade very nearly to the edge. There are few, if any, razors that are smoother and more comfortable than a post war Tech.

Derby Extra is in my top 3 blades. All of my razors are rigid designs but one, the Muhle R41. Guess which razor does not like Derby Extra blades...

A quick search of the forum for the word 'rigid' will return much to read. If you have issues shaving ATG, or any other direction honestly, an increase in rigidity may solve the problem.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks @Esox another great explanation. I love Tech's with or without a sharp blade. I prefer milder razors with my sensitivish skin.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned shimming the Tech. With shimming you put a shim UNDERNEATH the razor blade, thus increasing the blade gap and making the razor more effective. Make a shim by taking a used blade and trimming off the shaving edge. Regular scissors will do the job. You don't need to trim the old blade waaay back, just removing the edge will do. I have heard of some guys putting in two shims and reporting fantastic results.

With some searching on B&B, you will find other threads explaining this in better detail and probably with pictures.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned shimming the Tech. With shimming you put a shim UNDERNEATH the razor blade, thus increasing the blade gap and making the razor more effective. Make a shim by taking a used blade and trimming off the shaving edge. Regular scissors will do the job. You don't need to trim the old blade waaay back, just removing the edge will do. I have heard of some guys putting in two shims and reporting fantastic results.

With some searching on B&B, you will find other threads explaining this in better detail and probably with pictures.
Hmm I don't know about fantastic results...one shim will increase gap less than one blade thickness (.10mm) less than a click setting on an Adjustable, which is unlikely to transform an already rigid razor like the Tech into anything much different than what it is. But hey always worth a try.

Hmm I don't know about fantastic results...one shim will increase gap less than one blade thickness (.10mm) less than a click setting on an Adjustable, which is unlikely to transform an already rigid razor like the Tech into anything much different than what it is. But hey always worth a try.

If just the edge is trimmed off, would also make the blade more rigid.

As a relative newbie with experience, let me add my $0.02, because that’s what we do here.

I’ve been using a safety razor for about 1.5 years and about 6 months ago, I caught RAD (razor acquisition disorder) after happily using a Rockwell 2c with no issues. I was PIF’d a Gillette Flare Tip, which I read was mild. My first shave with that was anything but. Too much pressure. Then I got thr knack of it, but on my face, unless I was using a mild blade like a derby, it’s not ideal

I recently acquired a Pre War Fat Handle Gillette Tech after reading about the mild wonders of that razor. It’s a good razor, but not as mild as I thought. It could be the blade (Sputnik), but most likely it’s my technique. So today, I went back to basics and was all about blade angle. Blade Angle
That helped significantly. I also used a very soft touch. The shave was significantly better.

I can easily get my face BBS or close to it going with and across the grain. I don’t like to go against (and perhaps there is something to be said about blade stiffness...more on that in a bit)

In short, it’s all about your technique and as an earlier poster said, use a very light touch and take your time. You’ll get there. I’d also start with a derby blade which is mild

Ok, regarding razor stiffness. Over the weekend I used a Gem Micromatic Open Comb. I have to say I was a bit intimidated, but I minded the angle and used extremely light pressure. What surprised me was how smooth the shave was (and I’d been warned that this razor can bite if one is not careful). Again, I could use work under my chin with that, but it was shockingly smooth and easy, which may account for a the ultra stiff blade (some
Call it a straight on a stick)

In short, here’s my advice:

Stick with thr Tech. It’s great. Stick with one setup for your first month. Watch the angles and use and extremely light touch and take your time. Also, be sure you have a good, slick lather. When I was new I tended to have a pasty lather. Lather makes a difference. After a month try a new blade. And most of all, enjoy. This makes shaving fin, because it’s a bit of a challenge.

This board is a wealth of information and the fellas are incredibly helpful and generous.

Welcome!

Top Bottom