What's new

New releases from Semogue

Excellent, thanks guys!

I don't own a SOC boar, my current "reference" brush is the Proraso Pro. 2nd place goes to the Zenith 506 All bleached knot. I like big boar knots and that is why I am looking at this brush. Looks promising.

I'm not expecting it to be as soft as the Zenith, but how is it compared to the Proraso? (this is actually the softest Omega I've got)

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with those brushes, so can't offer any direct comparisons.

My C7 boar arrived today.
Initial thoughts:

Looks wise, it’s stunning. I‘m a big fan of tortoise and the gold is a perfect match. But I knew that from the pictures.
What I couldn’t tell from the pictures is how nice this boar knot is. It’s so perfect it almost looks like a synthetic man made knot. I can see why people are fans of the premium Semogue boars. It’s definitely “Premium“ and nothing like their cheaper boar knots.

Size: This is what I was most concerned about.
I don’t like fat chunky handles, as a bowl latherer I find them awkward and uncomfortable to hold. I prefer slimmer American style ‘barber‘ handles, or handles with a thin “waist” or pinch point.
From the pictures it looked good but I was worried that in real life it would be larger and handle like a beer can, like my Stirling Zenith. Especially considering it has a larger 26mm knot.

I was immediately relieved when I opened the package and saw the size of the Semogue box. The handle is a perfect size and feels wonderful in hand. It has some heft to it but the excellent ergonomics and slimmer pinch point mitigate the weight.

The length is also perfect from a bowl lathering perspective. Upside down in a Timeless lather bowl, the rim of the bowl is about level with the Semogue name on the handle. The pinch point is completely out of the bowl so no hitting fingers or knuckles on the bowl or getting lather on your hand.

Smell wise: No smell that I can detect.
I’ve formed a ridiculous new scale for how much a brush smells, called “The Gus Scale”. Essentially I take my brushes and rub my bird dog Gus’s face & nose with them just to see his reaction. If they have animal smell, he goes crazy and gets all excited. With this one, he reacted about like he does with a synthetic: Minimal to no reaction, just seems to enjoy it. 🐶

I’m gonna give it it‘s maiden voyage here a bit and report back, but I have no doubt it’ll perform admirably.

Here’s a photo of it next to some other brushes to give an idea of the actual size and shape, some pics of the knot and how the knot looks compared to my 2 other boar knots, and a photo of it next to a stick of La Toja for no reason at all. :biggrin:

IMG_4465.jpeg

IMG_4468.jpeg

IMG_4466.jpeg

IMG_4469.jpeg

Oh my! Any further thoughts on the Pegasus boar vs. SOC boar? Specifically, if you already owned the latter, would you still buy the former? Probably the wrong group to be asking.

In seriousness, I am a huge fan of the SOC boar. It's my second, and now only boar brush, and is arguably my favorite shaving brush.

For someone looking for what is the finest boar brush - would the Pegasus be it or should I keep shopping?

How is everyone liking their Pegasus so far?

I’m really enjoying my Boar version.
I guess the only knock I have is the weight, not sure why they would make it so heavy. The weight feels isolated at the top of the handle under the knot, like there’s a chunk of lead in there or something. Mine weighs 98grams.

Other than that it’s a great brush, and great looking brush.
The knot is excellent.
After the 4th shave or so it got notably softer, not that I minded the fresh out of the box feel or thought it was uncomfortable in any way, just that I noticed it felt softer after the 4th use.

How is everyone liking their Pegasus so far?

I’m really enjoying my Boar version.
I guess the only knock I have is the weight, not sure why they would make it so heavy. The weight feels isolated at the top of the handle under the knot, like there’s a chunk of lead in there or something. Mine weighs 98grams.

Other than that it’s a great brush, and great looking brush.
The knot is excellent.
After the 4th shave or so it got notably softer, not that I minded the fresh out of the box feel or thought it was uncomfortable in any way, just that I noticed it felt softer after the 4th use.

I love it. Thicker, slightly stiffer SOC — what’s not to love? The handle is quite heavy, as you mention, but I find that if I shift my grip further back (so I’m holding below the line circling the middle) it balances well and I don’t really notice the weight.

Top Bottom