What's new

Weber kettle users

Hi just wanted to know if we've got any other Weber kettle enthusiasts here.

I purchased a Master Touch 22" Kettle last year and have been in love with it. I have grilled with it many times in the summer, and it is dependable and enjoyable. The only two gripes for me is that the model I bought doesn't have a side table and it's a bit awkward to move around with the wheels.

This winter I've been using the snake method to smoke brisket and pulled pork and I haven't been disappointed. I only use cast cookware minus one stainless steel stock pot so most of the meals in the warmer months are cooked outside even if they're not grilled I just use the kettle like an oven/stove top depending on if I'm using a Dutch oven or skillet. When my wife was pregnant and was sick, the smell of cooking food was too much for her to handle so outside I was in -20°C cooking dinner. The kettle handled it all.

I normally use Kingsford briquettes because they are reliable. I've used lump coal before but only for high heat grilling. I find I have gotten pretty good at knowing how many briquettes for each situation.

Some days I do wish I had a gas grill because it would be nice to have near instant, easy heat with the turn of a knob. I'll look into it because propane is a clean burning fuel and there are many places around me to purchase propane and propane accessories. It's God's gas after all.

What are your kettles, charcoal choice and favourite recipes?

I've always had a Webber kettle. At one time I also owned a throw-away propane grill (Charbroil?) that stopped working after a couple years of light use, and was thrown away

My Webber has never let me down - used with Kingsford briquettes started with a chimney - mainly for steaks, burgers, and brats.

I do have - and love - a Blackstone griddle that has been used to cook a ton of fajitas and smash-burgers (thin 1/4lb sliders with grilled onions).

N fluid, use Weber lighter small white cubes (best thing ever), forget Kinsford. They are overpriced and have shown to be less than the best. Look for hardwood briquettes, my daily choice is anything Royal Oak. It's cheaper and the Home Depot/Lowes and a few other brands are made by them and go on sale often. Their is also B&B and many others. If I want even more flavor and or hotter I go to lump charcoal, snake method is great I also have a Slow and Sear addition that works great as well. Oh the best addition is a digital thermometer and maybe a wifi capable leave in style. I have a Fireboard and it's great, can check on temps anywhere (inside or store)on the app.

I only use Kingsford if I'm in a pinch or using my Smokey Joe on the road.
I really liked Stubbs Briquettes from Lowes, they burned very well with low ash.
If memory serves they were a victim of brand consolidation and now marketed as Cowboy Briqs.

Since then, Royal Oak All Natural has held top spot for me for both direct hi heat as well as for slow and low.
I will be starting the season with Weber briqs, hopefully with some fresh Sea Fare next weekend

@GeronimoWSB - I've been looking at adding an SnS - thanks for the reminder 🍻

I've also got the Weber Mastertouch 22" I also bought a SnS grill stainless charcoal basket with the removable water trough if I'm cooking low n slow with hardwood catering grade lump. It's a fantastic bit of kit. Much better than the Weber baskets.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve got a Weber I’ve been using and abusing for about 9yrs. It will not die. I use cowboy lump charcoal or Kingsford Professional depending on what I’m cooking. I find the professional burns more evenly and hotter than other charcoal briquettes, and I can get 2 18lb bags for $14 on sale at Costco.

I used to use a chimney lighter but now I have an electric lighter. It’s basically a heat coil with a powerful fan blowing over it. Turn it on, set it next to the charcoal and it acts as its own bellows forcing superheated air across the charcoal/coals. Lights and ready to cook in about 4-5 minutes. I still have and use the chimney if I’m too lazy to get an extension cord out of the garage.

I have not used a charcoal grill in several decades, even though I live only a few miles from the factory that makes Weber grills. I hate disposing of used ash and coals. I have been using gas grills, but they have their own drawbacks. They are more convenient than charcoal, but the flavor is not as good.

Last year, I purchased a Traeger pellet grill/smoker. I love using it for low and slow cooking. It does not get as hot as I would like to sear. It does not produce the same flavor as charcoal, but since I am used to a gas grill, I am OK with that.

I kept the gas grill to use for hot and fast cooking for searing steaks, burgers, hotdogs, and brats. My gas grill is rather old and is nearing EOL. I am considering replacing it with a flat top griddle this spring. A flat top can be used for many things that cannot be done on the grates of a charcoal or gas grill. Once of the things I do not like about gas grills is food and grease falling down into the burn chamber.

You guys really showed up for this one. I love it. Lots of great tips and good reads.

I never ever use lighter fluid. I'm using a chimney, it's obligatory with my kettle. I combine a Propane blow torch (Bernzonatic) with a Milwaukee M18 leaf blower to heat that bad boy right up. Can get a whole chimney ripping in 5 minutes. Not red neck but something of the sorts chimney lighter, different but the same to the one described up above.

I keep thinking of the slow n sear but someone on YouTube turned me into the bro and sear. If you have the Weber baskets and want them to be more versatile I highly recommend checking this out. I just used a few stainless bolts to hold everything together.

Have you guys tried the Weber briquettes. I don't know I feel charcoal might be more expensive up here in Canada. $20 something a bag for the Weber briqs and the Kingsford is $16 but that was last season. I'm still open to suggestions but I like the predictibility of briquettes and found royal oak to be a bit of a let down but that could have been a small sample size of 3 bags all from the same shipment.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have a Weber kettle, use a variety of charcoals, and use a chimney lighter. It gets to grilling heat nearly as fast as the Weber Spirit propane grill.

So, I've always used Kingsford briquettes and had good results. After reading the replies, I get the feeling that I can do better.

Can someone please be so kind as to explain the different types of charcoal, and the burning/cooking characteristics?

I like Kingsford, but have noticed that at times, no matter how long I let the briquettes burn in the chimney, they sometimes extinguish (certainly diminish in heat ourput) as I'm grilling. Seems like more and more I end up with unburned chunks left over that get tossed with the ash on the next cook.

Either I'm doing something wrong, or the coal ain't what it used to be.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
So, I've always used Kingsford briquettes and had good results. After reading the replies, I get the feeling that I can do better.

Can someone please be so kind as to explain the different types of charcoal, and the burning/cooking characteristics?

I like Kingsford, but have noticed that at times, no matter how long I let the briquettes burn in the chimney, they sometimes extinguish (certainly diminish in heat ourput) as I'm grilling. Seems like more and more I end up with unburned chunks left over that get tossed with the ash on the next cook.

Either I'm doing something wrong, or the coal ain't what it used to be.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Someone who knows a little more will come along but the big difference is that lump charcoal is just burned wood (charcoal). Briquettes are charcoal dust held together with a binder (starch) and usually have borax (in minute quantities) or something else in them to help them release from the briquette mold.

Briquettes are usually very even burning and all the briquettes burn at basically the same rate because they’re the same size and density.

Lump charcoal is made of different size pieces that can cause its burn characteristics to be vastly different from one piece to another. Lump also tends to provide a little better flavor. Lump tends to burn hotter and faster.

My Weber kettle is at least 20 years old and still going great. One of my grandsons has a big expensive gas grill that admittedly is faster than my Weber, but the flavor isn't the same as food grilled over charcoal. IMO.

I had the same Smokey Joe from 1979 to 2018 when I moved to Albuquerque.
I feel like you need an apron with this phrase on it. I might order one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230322-165741~2.png
    Screenshot_20230322-165741~2.png
    510.2 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom