What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

49-9-26.4.jpg

This thread is such a pleasure, and has triggered some fun Google research. One thing I've started viewing here and there are vintage issues of Pipe Lovers magazine. After reading snippets like this from 1946, it's truly amazing to ponder how we can order and debate about any ol' kind of pipes/tobacco we want from all over the globe...
1678893744312.png

1678893751437.png

It reminds me of that Civil War movie where two Union and Confederate soldiers see each other across a creek one morning, and peaceably but warily trade a gulp of coffee for a puff on a pipe.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
As said, flipping a pipe upside down in foul weather is a real thing. I've done it once or twice in a sudden downpour. Usually when dashing from one dry location to another.

Typically it should be burning (or have been burning), which helps slightly tighten the load in the bowl. Otherwise, a fresh load can empty out. :001_unsur

Lighting it upside down is another thing. I've never done that, and I've never personally seen it done.

We'll be seeing some more upside down pipes in the future. It was a pretty common practice.

As said, flipping a pipe upside down in foul weather is a real thing. I've done it once or twice in a sudden downpour. Usually when dashing from one dry location to another.

Typically it should be burning (or have been burning), which helps slightly tighten the load in the bowl. Otherwise, a fresh load can empty out. :001_unsur

Lighting it upside down is another thing. I've never done that, and I've never personally seen it done.

We'll be seeing some more upside down pipes in the future. It was a pretty common practice.
Willem Dafoe can pull it off with that little clay Cutty…

F0950C9A-A098-4A83-AD74-A76D91DC8578.jpeg

Top Bottom