What's new

New razor suggestions

I started Wetshaving a few months ago with a Henson mild. I quickly graduated to the aggressive version but kept finding myself wanting more aggression. Then I found I prefer OC razors. I currently use either a 1904 patent Gillette OC, a dscosmetic X2, or a muhle R41 with an SLOC top cap. I now have a bad case of RAD and am wondering what other razors would be appropriate for my preferred level of aggression. I love the muhle Frankenrazor but would prefer the head not being made of zamak.

I started Wetshaving a few months ago with a Henson mild. I quickly graduated to the aggressive version but kept finding myself wanting more aggression. Then I found I prefer OC razors. I currently use either a 1904 patent Gillette OC, a dscosmetic X2, or a muhle R41 with an SLOC top cap. I now have a bad case of RAD and am wondering what other razors would be appropriate for my preferred level of aggression. I love the muhle Frankenrazor but would prefer the head not being made of zamak.
What's wrong with zamak? Millions of razors have zamak/c heads with zero issues for years, even decades. If you want SS or some other metal, be prepared to spend more money. Maybe a lot more money.

What's wrong with zamak? Millions of razors have zamak/c heads with zero issues for years, even decades. If you want SS or some other metal, be prepared to spend more money. Maybe a lot more money.

Yes, there are still fine examples out there of mid 1960-70's Gillette Tech's with zamak heads. I am pretty sure the head cap on my Roman Empire Shaving 3-piece DE razor is zamak but I don't think the chrome finish on it is going to wear off anytime soon. It's a very nice razor and was only $12 USD
Roman Empire Shaving Caesar - 3.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
There should be some good deals this black Friday and cyber Monday this month coming up.
It seems you are all over the place for aggression so I'm thinking a adjustable razor, the Pearl Flexi $95 US or the Yaqi TFC brass one on sale now for around $95 US and both are made of solid brass. The Flexi has a coating on it also & both are affordable for a non Zamak base metal IMO.

The only problem with Xanax is I’m worried that if I drop it I’ll break it, not as much worry with a machined part

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
What price range are you looking at?

Pearl OC‘s are fairly aggressive, very affordable and I believe made from brass?

View attachment 1552637

View attachment 1552640

Fatips also come to mind but aside from the 1909? Roedter @ivan_101 non is as efficient as a R41.
Only the handles on the 3-piece Pearls are brass.
That Pearl on your photo is no longer available. The new head is slightly tamed. Still, shaves closer than Fatip MKII.
The Roedter is on par or even higher than the old 2013 R41.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Only the handles on the 3-piece Pearls are brass.
That Pearl on your photo is no longer available. The new head is slightly tamed. Still, shaves closer than Fatip MKII.
The Roedter is on par or even higher than the old 2013 R41.
Hmmmmm. The Pearl website says the Flexi is 100% brass... I'd be interested where you read or how you know only the handle is brass. I'm not saying you are wrong.... I bought my Flexi after reading the info on their website. If that isn't accurate, that is problematic.

Edit.. never mind... You are referring to their 3 piece razors... my bad. Poor reading comprehension skills, no doubt.

Hmmmmm. The Pearl website says the Flexi is 100% brass... I'd be interested where you read or how you know only the handle is brass. I'm not saying you are wrong.... I bought my Flexi after reading the info on their website. If that isn't accurate, that is problematic.

Edit.. never mind... You are referring to their 3 piece razors... my bad. Poor reading comprehension skills, no doubt.
Flexi - all brass.
TTOs - all brass.
3-piece - brass handle with ZAMAK heads.

I know what I am writing.

Ummmm I did correct my question. I even added the "edit" to confirm your comments and apologized. I misread your post. I was totally wrong. I was just thinking "Flexi"... until your post, I had never even looked at the other Pearl offerings.
Well then it is high time you looked into their open combs. Not exactly R41 level of aggressiveness, but still you might like it.

To the OP:If you want really aggressive open comb, my advice is to go for the Ikon Shavecraft Short comb. You can buy only the head, it is aluminium. Alignment is not straightforward though.

Top Bottom