What's new

New razor suggestions

My first Muhle R89 (zamak) lasted about 10 years and the finish still looked brand new. But the threaded stem snapped off in the handle one day when I was changing the blade. That sucked. That's when I started buying SS razors.
Easy enough to either get a warranty replacement for the cap or buy one of the many caps available for the -89 razors for about $10 or the whole new head assembly from Muhle for $25.

Don't drop it is the answer; or do all assembly and disassembly over the counter or basin. Stainless steel razors get dings when dropped too.
It's so easy to not drop things when you're paying attention to what you're doing. Almost all accidents are due to carelessness. I always disassemble my three piece razors over the counter where there's a folded microfiber towel for me to rest the pieces on. If one is drunk shaving, one is on his or her own. ;)

If you want to try a really aggressive razor put a want to buy on the bst for a Stirling HA. Even the ST is a beast.

CNC milled from quality stainless steel. These will scratch that 'aggressive razor' itch for sure.

lasta

Blade Biter
It's so easy to not drop things when you're paying attention to what you're doing. Almost all accidents are due to carelessness. I always disassemble my three piece razors over the counter where there's a folded microfiber towel for me to rest the pieces on. If one is drunk shaving, one is on his or her own. ;)
I did sneak in a morning swig on Saturday:c1:
20221104_194915.jpg

The R41 was too much for me, felt like scraping whiskers off my face with glass instead of shaving them. I’ve gotten more used to slightly more aggressive razors so I may try it again someday.

The most aggressive razor that’s comfortable to me is the RR Lupo 95SB. The 95OC would likely be a fine razor for you. I doubt it feels as aggressive as the R41 but I bet it cuts just as close.

Other recommendations I haven’t tried -

-Karve CB which has multiple plate options that get very aggressive.
-Blackbird OC? May not be aggressive enough for you either.
-Ikon
- R41 in SS, they do make them.
- Stirling HA

I’m sure there’s plenty more but I don’t research aggressive razors very much.

Blackland Blackbird will give you the efficiency of a R41, but be allot more forgiving.
Karve OC F plate or SB G plate. Even this configuration is beat by the Black bird in my opinion.

You can also get the R41 in stainless. I have the stainless and the twist R41. The stainless is an improvement over the twist. Better blade support, and slightly, but noticeably smoother.

As to an R41, I got rid of mine. As a daily shaver and my whiskers, it was way too much.
Agreed, my hair is a little more coarse but there’s still no need for the R41 when a mild-mid aggressive razor with a sharp blade will do. But we all like different things and many love their R41.

I find it hard to believe how many people think the R41 is comfortable unless maybe they have leather for skin because to me it was like scraping glass across my face. I never cut myself or got any weepers but that raw scraping feeling wasn’t pleasant. Maybe I’ll revisit it someday now that I’ve got a lot more experience.

If you want to test out another more aggressive razor that is more comfortable then the R41 I think the Lupo 95 is a good choice. But I’ll stick with my medium aggression razors like the GC84p,3one6,etc for daily.

Agreed, my hair is a little more coarse but there’s still no need for the R41 when a mild-mid aggressive razor with a sharp blade will do. But we all like different things and many love their R41.

I find it hard to believe how many people think the R41 is comfortable unless maybe they have leather for skin because to me it was like scraping glass across my face. I never cut myself or got any weepers but that raw scraping feeling wasn’t pleasant. Maybe I’ll revisit it someday now that I’ve got a lot more experience.

If you want to test out another more aggressive razor that is more comfortable then the R41 I think the Lupo 95 is a good choice. But I’ll stick with my medium aggression razors like the GC84p,3one6,etc for daily.
I only used it three times and, while it was OK, it was simply more than I needed and I never have more than a 24-36 hours of growth. I filed it under, 'overkill'. My best razor for me remains my AS-D2 and I suspect my Muhle Rocca R95 is as aggressive as I might like (or the 195 and Slim up past 5).

Top Bottom