What's new

What have you “settled on”?

It’s been a while gents!

Hope you’re all well.

Tell me about some of the creams, soaps, blades or even razors that have given you that moment of ”Yeah... this what I’m using from now on.”

For me it’s the following:

Daily Razor - Wolfman Open comb
Beard remover (when I haven’t shaved during days off)- RR Wunderbar Slant
Blades- Nacets

Now this isn’t to say I won’t try out the other blades I have or use my other razors. But these are my usual go to’s. My ”I’m not fooling around set up” if you will.

I don‘t have a brush that I’ve found to rule out all other brushes, but my Omega Jade handled boar is usually on deck.

Soaps and creams… the search continues. Proraso is probably my favourite for those days I just want a no nonsense shave. I’m a big fan of Razorock products and usually rotate through my collection. I like to have matching aftershaves as much as possible. I keep a bottle of “mentos“ shave gel in the locker at work if I need to get cleaned up quickly.

What say you, gentlemen? What do you keep using or reaching for? What‘s staying in your rotation?

Not entirely "set" but if I could restrain from getting anything else:

Razor: Muhle R89 (shave from daily basis up to 9 days growth, flawlessly), R41 and Rocca are close by, but I do feel sorry that my beard doesn't grow fast enough to use them daily but still wouldn't mind to settle on any of that three

Brush: Razorock Silvertip BC (soap saver, nice backbone, beautiful painter) converted me from a boar brush exclusive user to synth-simpatizer

Soap: Cella Red (although I have yet to determine LPL economy as I just got it) but I prefer slick and not too volumed lather, mild scented. Fair priced for a puck that lasts a long time

Blades: Permasharp... for me works best in all razors I've got, best balanced for sharpness & smoothness. I have about 400 of them stashed ☺️

I doubt that for me it will ever be settled, but for the last few months it has narrowed down considerably, with the main theme being 'milder but efficient'. Most frequent saves are:

Razor - alternates between Karve CB with B, C, or occasionally D depending on how my neck feels, and Timeless SS with titanium handle and .68 plate. Razor changes with a blade change, every 5 or 6 shaves. Sometimes extends to a longer streak. There is an Overlander in the mail, and I expect the rotation will increase to 3.
Blade - usually Nacet. Occasionally Astra green.
Soap - MWF about 80% of shaves. Second choice is Santa Maria Del Fiore.
Brush - Rotation of boars: currently Omega 49, Semogue 1305, 830, and Razorock. One day then a good dryout. Synthetic if i'm in a hurry.
AS - Floid "the Genuine" about 80% of my shaves. Favourite alternate is Santa Maria del Fiore.

Cheers.

Hey! There's a rare sight.

How do you find the Piccadilly range? Have you tried their Lime?

I haven’t tried their range - in fact, I found them by looking for an unscented cream specifically - as I’m somewhat hesitant about using fragrance on the face. The cream works well enough for me!

All else varies, but the one thing I've settled on for approaching 2 years - No aftershave, just CeraVe.

1665825898299.png

Since removing AS and adding this, I rarely ever have nicks or burns. I *think* it increases elasticity.

All else varies, but the one thing I've settled on for approaching 2 years - No aftershave, just CeraVe.

View attachment 1539580

Since removing AS and adding this, I rarely ever have nicks or burns. I *think* it increases elasticity.
I've only tried their face wash. I've been using Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel as my main aftershave balm with its hyaluronic acid. But I mix it with one of my aftershave balms/splashes for the fragrance. As I start running low on the Neutrogena, I want to see what else CeraVe offers. It's a good face wash (also containing hyaluronic acid as an ingredient).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We use both CeraVe and Cetaphil face, body and moisturizers... both seem to work equally well. I haven't tried the moisturizers for post shave. My wife uses both and they solved a dry skin problem she was having on her legs.

I'll have to give it a try.... they are certainly less expensive.

For me it is becoming much more clear.

1.) hands down, I always use Shavemac 2 band brush knots, all made by @Rudy Vey who I have 5 of. Just my absolute favorite brushes and Rudy provides an awesome experience.

2.) Captian’s choice copper bowl (I have both obsidian and standard heavyweight)

3.) blades (which are razor dependent) personna platinum (made in Israel) rule the roost. Nacet a close second, Kai for my Carbon razors (and only Carbon) are my 3rd spot.

4.) DE razor - Tatara Nodachi, Carbon Cx and Blackbird (in that order). All blade exposure positive. Just depends how I want to shave, but the Nodachi gives me the best shaves of the 3 by far.

Soap: Stirling’s Sheep or Cella
Cream: La Toja (Red Tube)
Razor: Rockwell 6S Plate 3
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Omega 10098
Aftershave: Witch Hazel followed up with any kind of natural moisturizer like Shea Butter

I’m in absolute love with Stirling’s Sheep! One of my all time favorite bases that provides some of the denseoand richest lather I’ve ever produced. Amazing soap!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Soap: PAA CK formula
Brush: AP Shave Co. Faux Boar
Razor: Wolfman WR1 SS SB .74
Blade: Timor SS

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Razors:
Edwin Jagger DE3D14 closed comb
Merkur open comb head on IKon Bulldog II handle

The Jagger does most of the work, and I reach for the open comb occasionally, is there's heavier growth to shift.

Blades:
There's about 10 that I have 25 of or more, and around 500-600 in total. Any of these would be good enough to stick with full time, and they all give at least 10 shaves. Some go 30+. My preference is still the Wilkies I've used for most of my shaving life.

Brushes:
I have three synthetics and a few natural hair brushes. All low cost. The scummy water coming out of my tap, gunks up the natural hair brushes at the base of the knot, so my synthetics do most of the shaves.

Soaps/Creams:
I have quite a few stocked up, but only have two or three in play at any time. Most haven't even been started. A change of scent is nice occasionally, but they all do the job just fine. I haven't settled per se, but I have stopped buying. I got tired of exploring, and would rather just work through the stockpile. Phoenix and Beau, and Wickhams, are two brands I keep returning to.

My soap and splash scents change seasonally.

For the post shave I have settled with thayer’s witch hazel.

I use the merica razor and will be pairing it with a feather blade mostly.

I’ve been exploring the Tatra blade recently and am enjoying it but the feather is the Payton Manning of my blades and remains on the A team.

Settled with unscented pre-shave oil

I have settled with Simpson t3 synthetic brush.
Right now it’s the only brush I use because overall it is a great brush (some what a be-all end-all brush).
However I’m now bored of the t3 and synthetic in general. It’s a good work horse but doesn’t carry any spunk.

Waiting for the boar to get here to join the A squad and put t3 on 2nd string.

If I had to pick 1 soap (as like a baseline or whatever) it would be Eucalyptus mint with maybe a lavender splash.

Last edited:
It’s been a while gents!

Hope you’re all well.

Tell me about some of the creams, soaps, blades or even razors that have given you that moment of ”Yeah... this what I’m using from now on.”

For me it’s the following:

Daily Razor - Wolfman Open comb
Beard remover (when I haven’t shaved during days off)- RR Wunderbar Slant
Blades- Nacets

Now this isn’t to say I won’t try out the other blades I have or use my other razors. But these are my usual go to’s. My ”I’m not fooling around set up” if you will.

I don‘t have a brush that I’ve found to rule out all other brushes, but my Omega Jade handled boar is usually on deck.

Soaps and creams… the search continues. Proraso is probably my favourite for those days I just want a no nonsense shave. I’m a big fan of Razorock products and usually rotate through my collection. I like to have matching aftershaves as much as possible. I keep a bottle of “mentos“ shave gel in the locker at work if I need to get cleaned up quickly.

What say you, gentlemen? What do you keep using or reaching for? What‘s staying in your rotation?
As a newbie with vintage Gillette razor RAD and an 84 GC the only things I have nailed down as constants are Nivea balm after whatever aftershave, and Nacets have become my clear favorite (I like most all Russian Gillette blades) after sampling and continuing to try dozens of blades. I have, however, eliminated injectors and all the Gem SE- they just not my cup of tea, although I know others love them. Now debating higher end moderns, and torn between Timeless 95oc or BB Ti, but due to holiday expenditure restraints the next razor I will try will most likely be the Lupo 95OC to see if I like more aggressive razors based on all the positive reviews. Attempting the more aggressive but less passes approach to sensitive skin with wire whiskers in my neck.

Gillette Super Speed, Treet Durasharp blades, C.O. Bigelow shaving cream, cheap no name boar brush, Aqua Velva Blue Ice and Afta Fresh for aftershave. Only exception is when I go a few days without shaving I‘ll use an aggressive 3 piece razor instead. Or if I just want a faster 2 pass shave.

After many years and many many many experiments I have landed on a few things that have not changed in a few years. Arko soap in my Old Spice mug, Nivea or Godrej (preferably Godrej) cream, a small synthetic 'badger type' brush, Aqua Velva Blue or Musk, and a Lord 'Tech' with a Nacet blade. Aside from one of those neat little hammered copper bowls, I haven't actually purchased anything except to replenish empty things, in years. I found what works, I roll with it. I did however find a vendor selling the Lord 'Tech' cheap so I bought seven from him, after noticing about the 3 year mark the threads were getting overly smooth. Now I can have one for many years to come.

Variable soaps that I gave on hand.
RRLupo .72 and nacet blade
Occasional GC .84 oc with Treet Durasharp yellow box
Semogue boar brush

Top Bottom