What's new

Even More Personna Confusion

While searching through some listings for DE razor blades on Amazon, I came across the following item:

It looks like the already confusing branding of Personna blades has added yet another layer of complexity.

The packaging of the blades looks quite similar to that of the Personna Platinum Chrome blades previously made in Israel. Yet these new blades do not indicate that they are platinum coated. They state only that they are Stainless Steel blades. Nowhere on the blades, wrapper, tucks or carrier tray is there a mention of platinum chrome. These blades state on the carrier tray that they are made in Germany.

It may be that these blades are similar to the former Crystal blades made in Israel, but based on the marketing information, it is impossible to tell. I have some of the older Crystals and consider them to be good blades, but I much prefer the Platinum Chrome blades. Thus, I will not be purchasing these Personna Stainless Steel blades in the misleading red packaging.

If anyone who reads this does purchase them, please post a review of what you receive and how they shave to add some clarification to this confusion.

I bought a 5 pack a maybe a year ago (6/21 to be precise) and as I recall it was similar to the Israeli red I just used and did not like. Compared to the Lab blue it was garbage. Just my opinion. FYI I just saw a YouTube where they guy did a blind test on the Red and Blue and he could tell immediately the Blue was better.

While searching through some listings for DE razor blades on Amazon, I came across the following item:

It looks like the already confusing branding of Personna blades has added yet another layer of complexity.

The packaging of the blades looks quite similar to that of the Personna Platinum Chrome blades previously made in Israel. Yet these new blades do not indicate that they are platinum coated. They state only that they are Stainless Steel blades. Nowhere on the blades, wrapper, tucks or carrier tray is there a mention of platinum chrome. These blades state on the carrier tray that they are made in Germany.
The Israeli made Personna Platinums were packaged in Mexico in red tucks. I think these are the German made Personna Platinum packaged in Mexico. Confusing, yes!

I bought a 5 pack a maybe a year ago (6/21 to be precise) and as I recall it was similar to the Israeli red I just used and did not like. Compared to the Lab blue it was garbage. Just my opinion. FYI I just saw a YouTube where they guy did a blind test on the Red and Blue and he could tell immediately the Blue was better.

I have never seen Personna Stainless blades in red packaging before. The only blades I have seen in red packaging are the Personna Platinum Chrome blades.

Which blades work better for you will depend upon your needs and preferences.

Personna "Lab Blue" comfort coated blades made in the USA by Accutec Blades have a very thick polymer (probably PTFE) coating. That thick coating makes them very smooth, but somewhat dull. I have a very coarse beard and need super sharp blades. For my beard, the Lab Blues tug horribly on the first shave out of the wrapper. As that coating wears off, the blades become significantly sharper. For me, that is a good thing.

On the first shave, the Personna Platinum Chrome blades are much sharper than the Lab Blue. For me, that is a big advantage. Thus, I much prefer the Platinum Chrome blades to the Lab Blues. However, for those who beards are more typical in coarseness, the Lab Blues probably work well. However, after the first shave or two, the Lab Blues and Platinum Chromes perform in essentially the same manner.

The Israeli made Personna Platinums were packaged in Mexico in red tucks. I think these are the German made Personna Platinum packaged in Mexico. Confusing, yes!

If these blades are indeed Personna Platinum Chrome blades made in Germany, why is it that the packaging never mentions platinum or platinum chrome anywhere on the blades, wrappers, tucks, or carrier? The Personna Platinum blades always were stamped "Platinum Chrome" right on the blade even when they were sold as private label blades for supermarkets and pharmacies. I have some of the early Platinum Chrome blades made in Germany that I purchased in private label packaging from my local Meijer store. They were stamped Platinum Chrome and the packaging stated "Made in Germany".

By the way, the final shipment of razor blades from the Israeli plant in Nazareth were shipped to Accutec Blades in Virginia, not to Mexico.

They are the same as the new dark blue German version of the Israeli "red IP"
They are the 5 packs version of these:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-14-00-19-48-39_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-14-00-19-48-39_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    773.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_2022-09-14-00-19-45-21_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-14-00-19-45-21_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 13
They are the same as the new dark blue German version of the Israeli "red IP"
They are the 5 packs version of these:
The Stainless blades packaged in the red wrappers might well be the same as the Blue packaged stainless blades you picture. However, what evidence do you have that they are the German version of the Israeli Platinum Chrome blades that we call Israeli Reds. If the blades were platinum or platinum chrome plated, I would think that the packaging would state that. No where do either of the packages state that these are platinum coated blades. Thus, I think they are more likely to be what were once identified as Israeli Personnas. These were not the same as the Israeli Red Platinum Chrome blades.

The Stainless blades packaged in the red wrappers might well be the same as the Blue packaged stainless blades you picture. However, what evidence do you have that they are the German version of the Israeli Platinum Chrome blades
I haven't been able to find my bookmark, but somebody accidentally acquired those blue box blades some time ago thinking they were lab blues. It was pretty clear from the reviews of those that they were a lower tier blade, made in DE. It would make sense to me to package those in the familiar red tucks for the Latin American market. The problem that arrises is unscrupulous resellers passing them off as a successor to the Israeli Reds. They might even be packaged in the same factory, the box says blades made in Germany.

The Stainless blades packaged in the red wrappers might well be the same as the Blue packaged stainless blades you picture. However, what evidence do you have that they are the German version of the Israeli Platinum Chrome blades that we call Israeli Reds. If the blades were platinum or platinum chrome plated, I would think that the packaging would state that. No where do either of the packages state that these are platinum coated blades. Thus, I think they are more likely to be what were once identified as Israeli Personnas. These were not the same as the Israeli Red Platinum Chrome blades.
Zoom in on my picture. Says made in Germany. Bought them. They look identical in printing on blade to old red IPs. They are the bulk version. There's also a 200 count box with German colors on the box which are also the same.
I did the purchasing so you don't have to.
I understand questions but please don't question my idiosyncratic way of understanding by buying them all.

I haven't been able to find my bookmark, but somebody accidentally acquired those blue box blades some time ago thinking they were lab blues. It was pretty clear from the reviews of those that they were a lower tier blade, made in DE. It would make sense to me to package those in the familiar red tucks for the Latin American market. The problem that arrises is unscrupulous resellers passing them off as a successor to the Israeli Reds. They might even be packaged in the same factory, the box says blades made in Germany.
Take the cheap seats and I'll show you....

Left are Israeli red IP right are exactly what I showed you.

Funny to question people when you have zero idea what you're talking about.

Remember you assumed first....

Let me know any other proof you need without sacrificing to learn.... I'm here for you

Attachments

• 16631763923282687132791963115739.jpg
    16631763923282687132791963115739.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 16631764085509120373527925730836.jpg
    16631764085509120373527925730836.jpg
    791.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 16631764426162911397785278255350.jpg
    16631764426162911397785278255350.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
Zoom in on my picture. Says made in Germany. Bought them. They look identical in printing on blade to old red IPs. They are the bulk version. There's also a 200 count box with German colors on the box which are also the same.
I did the purchasing so you don't have to.
I understand questions but please don't question my idiosyncratic way of understanding by buying them all.
In case you needed more, these are from a lot I just bought that are way older. Real Israeli reds. No mention on packaging of origin meaning they never mentioned besides on the main packaging.
Anything else you need I'm here for you. I literally have every personnas blade ever made.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-14-13-35-35-84_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-14-13-35-35-84_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_2022-09-14-13-35-40-45_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-14-13-35-40-45_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    961.2 KB · Views: 37
Take the cheap seats and I'll show you....

Left are Israeli red IP right are exactly what I showed you.

Funny to question people when you have zero idea what you're talking about.

Remember you assumed first....

Let me know any other proof you need without sacrificing to learn.... I'm here for you
So they switched the cheap blades to Platinum chrome, whoop te doo. Wasn't even replying to you, jerk!

I love how angry we get here about the most trivial things. And this is much calmer than other shaving forums.

FWIW, I’ve no idea what the new red-boxed Personnas are, exactly, but I do object to certain vendors calling them “Israeli Red” when they are surely not those discontinued blades. I’ve never met a Personna blade I didn’t like, so I’m sure they’ll be good, nevertheless.

I love how angry we get here about the most trivial things. And this is much calmer than other shaving forums.

FWIW, I’ve no idea what the new red-boxed Personnas are, exactly, but I do object to certain vendors calling them “Israeli Red” when they are surely not those discontinued blades. I’ve never met a Personna blade I didn’t like, so I’m sure they’ll be good, nevertheless.
Didn't mean to get angry. The post I was answering is now gone somehow but quoted above.
Just don't like being accused of just pulling things out of thin air and those blades I bought were listed as lab blue when I bought them so the vendors at this point are doing anything they want I guess. Maybe they just don't know.

I purchased a 5 pack of red-boxed Personnas identical to those in the Amazon link in the OP's thread about a month ago from either The Razor Company or The Razor Emporium...I can't recall which.
The box and the blade wrappers are both labelled "Stainless Steel".
The blades are stamped "Platinum Chrome". I assume that the blade stamp is correct.

I purchased a 5 pack of red-boxed Personnas identical to those in the Amazon link in the OP's thread about a month ago from either The Razor Company or The Razor Emporium...I can't recall which.
The box and the blade wrappers are both labelled "Stainless Steel".
The blades are stamped "Platinum Chrome". I assume that the blade stamp is correct.
We would hope

Top Bottom