What's new

How do different Schick Type E razors shave?

Sorry for not getting back a little earlier, but I have been busy and a bit sick with the flue......
I bought some Schicks this summer 4 in all from various antique dealers and one of them was in rough shape were some one tried to take it apart and was just filthy so I cleaned it up and fixed the spring back to were it should be and straighten the keeper out so that it just clicks in place like a E1 would. Now I can easily clean and put any blade in manually if I want or use the injector. Some Schick owners do not recommend this, but it works the way it does from day one and better because it was unusable before I bought it and now it gives one of the best shaves out there IMO.
View attachment 942378 View attachment 942379 View attachment 942381
Did you just push the middle tab up so that the spring could slide over freely?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Did you just push the middle tab up so that the spring could slide over freely?
Yes, I used some 1/4 or 5/16 key stock with a vise grip so not damage base plate on the bottom with some aluminum protector on the top so not mare any part of the base plate, I have also seen a fellow cut the right ear tab off the spring so left ear becomes a stop will also work if no tools available.

Yes, I used some 1/4 or 5/16 key stock with a vise grip so not damage base plate on the bottom with some aluminum protector on the top so not mare any part of the base plate, I have also seen a fellow cut the right ear tab off the spring so left ear becomes a stop will also work if no tools available.
I prefer your method opposed to grinding down one of the tabs on the spring because I think the spring needs both of those tabs intact so it can provide even pressure on the base plate when it's closed. Man I wish you could do a YouTube tutorial on how to push up that middle tab without damaging the razor. That would be awesome.

20220908_231312.jpg

I'd love to be able to push the pin up on this old Schick injector. But I'm too afraid to damage the razor. It has a really cool swirly pattern on the handle too. And of course it shaves great.

Ron R

I still to this day haven't seen a clear picture underneath of both E2 and E3. I have a Type E, but I'm not sure which one it is and I it's not around here so I can check her.
The safety bar will tell you what you have, the Schick injector E3 has parallel lines running along the width where the E2 will have a rough texture to the safety bar.

(L>R) 1st & 3rd ones are E2 type Canadian variants, 2nd one is a E3 type and the 4th one is a rare black handle G type
Schick believe the parallel line on the safety bar stretched the skin slightly for the blade edge to snip the whiskers better and I believe all G type models keep the parallel line in those safety bars .
(Some 4 or 5 year old archived photo.)
Schicks E2,3.5 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

The safety bar will tell you what you have, the Schick injector E3 has parallel lines running along the width where the E2 will have a rough texture to the safety bar.

(L>R) 1st & 3rd ones are E2 type Canadian variants, 2nd one is a E3 type and the 4th one is a rare black handle G type
Schick believe the parallel line on the safety bar stretched the skin slightly for the blade edge to snip the whiskers better and I believe all G type models keep the parallel line in those safety bars .
(Some 4 or 5 year old archived photo.)
View attachment 1520841
Have some great shaves!

This is how mine looks like underneath.

IMG_20220911_200802.jpg

4th one is a rare black handle G type
I have a similar razor with a butterscotch bakelite handle and the 1937 Canadian patent on it. I call it an E4, even though it is marked Eversharp Schick on the base of the spring. It has only the 1937 Schick patent, and not the second Eversharp patent. I believe the E types were made in Canada after 1945. Do you have any additional information on these?

Ron R

My understanding is that there are at least a few different E versions with different opening mechanism's and one or more that can't be opened. Can mine be opened?
Yes, you can pull back on the spring and push to the left and it will move, DO NOT USE THE LOWER SECTION OF THE HANDLE for leverage or you could snap it off! I have one similar and I was able to move it over. Use the top of the handle for grip because the stem of the head only goes down so far. A small screw driver or needle nose pliers with electric tap on the ends(Protection of razor spring surface) will help in prying the spring from the seat, Don't complain to me if something goes wrong. Also when I got mine free I filed a chamfer on the outside bottom of the spring keeper so the next time it would glance over the bumps better and also less force needed IMO.

Yes, you can pull back on the spring and push to the left and it will move, DO NOT USE THE LOWER SECTION OF THE HANDLE for leverage or you could snap it off! I have one similar and I was able to move it over. Use the top of the handle for grip because the stem of the head only goes down so far. A small screw driver or needle nose pliers with electric tap on the ends(Protection of razor spring surface) will help in prying the spring from the seat, Don't complain to me if something goes wrong. Also when I got mine free I filed a chamfer on the outside bottom of the spring keeper so the next time it would glance over the bumps better and also less force needed IMO.

I really see no point of opening it, since there's a potential risk of me breaking the razor, but it's good to know that it's one of the models that can be opened. Thanks for info!

I can agree the Schick Injector Type E is the greatest razor in the world, if the person has good technique, proper pressure and angle, reasonably tough skin, and does a good pre-shave prep. It's also good when we shave slowly and leisurely. No "slam bangers," please.

The underlying message is the Type E is aggressive and effective. But it doesn't suffer fools or novices.

Ron R

Can we all agree that the Schick E is the greatest razor in the world ?
I would just say it is one of the great razors out there but will never be the greatest in the world because every one has a different opinions on anything that is shave related I have found. I enjoy my Schick E2 injectors and that is all that matters!

I would just say it is one of the great razors out there but will never be the greatest in the world because every one has a different opinions on anything that is shave related I have found. I enjoy my Schick E2 injectors and that is all that matters!
Well said. I like the E types but I much prefer the G8 because I like the textured handle on them a whole lot better than the smooth ones on the E and earlier G types.

Ron R

I think the D is the best of the lot as far as shaving goes.
@Whiterook what does the blade feel indicate to you? That is a interesting model how it opens up like a pair of scissors!
The D type has a little more blade feel according to Dave from Kentucky but I have never had a chance to use one to confirm that.
He handled it like a season shaver with no problem and seemed happy with results on Youtube video, but he did mention that he finds it the most blade feel and he has all the Schick models.

Top Bottom