What's new

Simpsons or Viking synthetic?

I am looking for a nice synthetic brush. Simpsons trafalgar and Viking both seem to get high praise and around the right price point (something below $50). For the past 15 years I have been using the Crabtree and Evelyn brush (produced by EJ, I think). The size and softness of that brush is great for me.

So, re: synthetic brushes, what have your experiences been between Simpsons and Viking… or should I consider others?

Cheers

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I think the best entry into the Synthetic brush world is PAA. Their brushes are super cool, have great handles, and most of the latest synth knot types are represented. There are a variety of styles and sizes. I think out of all the inexpensive brushes, the PAA synths are an excellent choice.

I am looking for a nice synthetic brush. Simpsons trafalgar and Viking both seem to get high praise and around the right price point (something below $50). For the past 15 years I have been using the Crabtree and Evelyn brush (produced by EJ, I think). The size and softness of that brush is great for me.

So, re: synthetic brushes, what have your experiences been between Simpsons and Viking… or should I consider others?

Cheers
I recently purchased a Trafalgar T3. Great brush…very pleased with it. My only complaint is that it doesn’t fit most brushes stands. Used my Dremel tool to modify my stand to fit the brush.

Reactions: Kix
I think the best entry into the Synthetic brush world is PAA. Their brushes are super cool, have great handles, and most of the latest synth knot types are represented. There are a variety of styles and sizes. I think out of all the inexpensive brushes, the PAA synths are an excellent choice.
Knot lofts seem REALLY long for the PAS… 55mm for 24mm diameter, am I reading that right? I think that’s a bit much for me. I’ll keep looking. Simpsons T2 is 44mm loft. Thanks.

By "Viking" do you mean Viking Soaps? Not necessarily a bad thing, but they don't make their own knots.
I guess they are called Vikings Blade, my bad. This one. Well reviewed in Amazon from what I can tell.

Attachments

• B777B7DF-1A58-4887-BE3B-8A864BD44BC4.jpeg
    B777B7DF-1A58-4887-BE3B-8A864BD44BC4.jpeg
    795.8 KB · Views: 5

Eben Stone

Staff member
I guess they are called Vikings Blade. This one. We’ll reviewed in Amazon from what I can tell.
I have the that brush, the Vikings Blade White Knight. I like it. None of my other brushes I have deserve the title of "lather monster" like this one. It does have some scritch, but IMO, it still feels good on the face. Handle can be very slippery if you get lather on it. Out of the 11 brushes I've tried this is currently my 2nd favorite. The only one I like better is my Paladin synthetic, which is also 8x more expensive.

I have the that brush, the Vikings Blade White Knight. I like it. None of my other brushes I have deserve the title of "lather monster" like this one. It does have some scritch, but IMO, it still feels good on the face. Handle can be very slippery if you get lather on it. Out of the 11 brushes I've tried this is currently my 2nd favorite. The only one I like better is my Paladin synthetic, which is also 8x more expensive.
Ah, thanks, very helpful! I don’t mind a bit if a scritch at alll. Do you know if the “dark stallion” model is the same brush, save the color of the handle? Some seem to think it is pure badger, though it seems clear to me it is also synthetic. I think I prefer the looks of it, primarily because while I only have 3 other brushes, they all have cream colored handles. Thank you for your reply!

Eben Stone

Staff member
Ah, thanks, very helpful! I don’t mind a bit if a scritch at alll. Do you know if the “dark stallion” model is the same brush, save the color of the handle? Some seem to think it is pure badger, though it seems clear to me it is also synthetic. I think I prefer the looks of it, primarily because while I only have 3 other brushes, they all have cream colored handles. Thank you for your reply!
The Dark Stallion is synthetic.

I guess they are called Vikings Blade, my bad. This one. Well reviewed in Amazon from what I can tell.
Had one PIF to a friend getting into DE shaving with a 34c bunch of blades and soap :)
BUT
I did not like it at all the razorock tricolor I got for synth to replace beat it easy in every way

one it shed all the time like truly every time Maybe had a bad one ?
Also very scritchy super srpingy like all on or all off :)
ditto handle looks cool but not comfy to me in the slip and feel dept did like the weight of it though

with the other post liking it the old YMMV thing applies and shows this is all so personal

reckon one of those get it from amazon you can always return
IMHO I say give it a go :) ya have to try and decide

I tried the vikings blade dark stallion and it wasn't for me. Beautifully made, but I do a lot of face lathering, and the bristles were just too stiff, IMO. Is great for face painting. Certainly creates a lot of lather and the feel of the brush is great. but ultimately couldn't get it to splay very easily on my face. If you primarily just paint soap/cream on, this is a good one.

Last edited:
I went looking for a travel brush. You know, it works, and if you lose it on a trip, it's not like you lost your best friend.
Synthetic was a must since it doesn't have days to dry, and it has to be inexpensive.
So I settled on a Maggard Tuxedo 24mm ($12).
I have Jack Black Supreme Creme in the dop kit. The combo works well. Wet my face, get a dollop about the size of the candies that used to be attached to the paper. Put the lather on the face. Little hot water on the brush, shake it, and start lathering. Not tons of lather, but more than enough to protect your face. It's more and better lather than my pure badger.
So, with it's job for world travel assured, I decided to see how it works as the home brush.
I ran it against my pure badger using Noble Otter, and TOBS. The synth creates a much more uniform bubble size and lathers just as quick in the bowl.
It does leave me wondering what an actual high end synth is capable of. So far there's not much reporting.

TurnNShave 25mm Chess UD$10 + shipping
View attachment 1515361
PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic US$19.95 + shipping
View attachment 1515362
Both very nice looking. How are they for face lathering? I’m not a pro on this stuff, but I guess my issue with the Vikings blade was bristles had too strong of a backbone (they were too stiff)?

My best badger brush is soft and splays easily on my face. The Vikings blade brush did not. How do your two brushes perform in that regard? Thanks.

Knot lofts seem REALLY long for the PAS… 55mm for 24mm diameter, am I reading that right? I think that’s a bit much for me. I’ll keep looking. Simpsons T2 is 44mm loft. Thanks.

That's true. I acquired a PAA Peregrino from the BST forum for a price I couldn't resist, and glad I didn't pay retail price for it. It's super floppy, more so than any synthetic (or natural) brush I've used.

I much prefer my Trafalgar T3, even my Razorock plissoft performs better but I'm mainly a bowl latherer, so maybe the Peregrino would suit you. It does splay easily.

Edit: in my opinion, the Razorock brush is a good compromise between the softer, floppier Peregrino and the shorter, stiffer T3. The Razorock has more backbone than the Peregrino, but still splays when I use it for head shaves. The T3 is the stiffest of the three, and a bit harder to splay, though Simpson recommends that you paint on your lather with the brush rather than scrubbing in a circular motion.

Copied from the Simpson website:

"When shaving try using paint brush back & forth strokes for lather building rather than circular 'mashing' motions which tend to put additional stress and pressure on the bristles. Excessive force can snap or dislodge bristles from their glue bond."

Last edited:
Reactions: Kix

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Both very nice looking. How are they for face lathering? I’m not a pro on this stuff, but I guess my issue with the Vikings blade was bristles had too strong of a backbone (they were too stiff)?

My best badger brush is soft and splays easily on my face. The Vikings blade brush did not. How do your two brushes perform in that regard? Thanks.
Both of these brushes splay nicely, slight edge to the PAA Peregrino.

Hold the presses: I neglected to mention the AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan, one of my top 3 synthetic knots.
20220818_183419~2.jpg

This is the AP Shave Co Black Green handle with the AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan. This costs US$30 including shipping. The G5C will take 4 to 5 shaves to loosen up. After that, it's a top tier synthetic. Great for bowl lathering, painting and face lathering. I had the good folks at AP Shave Co set the loft and it is just right.

This is the best recommendation I have for under US$50. :)

Hope this helps. :)

That's true. I acquired a PAA Peregrino from the BST forum for a price I couldn't resist, and glad I didn't pay retail price for it. It's super floppy, more so than any synthetic (or natural) brush I've used.

I much prefer my Trafalgar T3, even my Razorock plissoft performs better but I'm mainly a bowl latherer, so maybe the Peregrino would suit you. It does splay easily.

Edit: in my opinion, the Razorock brush is a good compromise between the softer, floppier Peregrino and the shorter, stiffer T3. The Razorock has more backbone than the Peregrino, but still splays when I use it for head shaves. The T3 is the stiffest of the three, and a bit harder to splay, though Simpson recommends that you paint on your lather with the brush rather than scrubbing in a circular motion.

Copied from the Simpson website:

"When shaving try using paint brush back & forth strokes for lather building rather than circular 'mashing' motions which tend to put additional stress and pressure on the bristles. Excessive force can snap or dislodge bristles from their glue bond."
This is very helpful, thanks. Well, if you want a brand new Simpsons T2 let me know. I have one coming but looks like that probably won’t work for me either :)

Sounds like Razorock FTW. I face lather for first pass, then paint after that. But for me, exfoliation comes from the circular motion and also thickens up the lather.

This is very helpful, thanks. Well, if you want a brand new Simpsons T2 let me know. I have one coming but looks like that probably won’t work for me either :)

Sounds like Razorock FTW. I face lather for first pass, then paint after that. But for me, exfoliation comes from the circular motion and also thickens up the lather.

The only other thing I might add is that I purchased my PAA brush second hand, so I don't know how it was used by the previous owner. If he mashed it to his face and splayed the bristles at 90 degrees, it may have degraded the brush - I just can't know for certain.

Also, give the Simpson a shot before you dismiss it. It's a very good brush for the price.

Lastly, I generally bowl lather but on occasion I will face lather, and often lather directly on my head. I know you are looking at synthetic brushes, but I have found boar is great for face and head lathering. You might want to consider a $10 Omega, just to see for yourself.

Simpsons or Viking? Yaqi!
My comment might not be of much help since I've not tried any Viking branded item be it hardware or software. But I've tried the Simpsons Trafalgar brushes T2&T3 and I wasn't impressed. To me it feels like Simpsons wanted to create a brush to compete with the Chinese. It tries to present itself as a "premium" British made brush but in reality it's as cheap as any Chinese one. The Trafalgar is pretty soft but has lots of backbone and is hard to splay. The handle is also pretty small. Yaqi has a lot more choices of knots to suit every preference and larger more aesthetically pleasing handles, although that's highly subjective :)

Top Bottom