What's new

Simpsons or Viking synthetic?

Both of these brushes splay nicely, slight edge to the PAA Peregrino.

Hold the presses: I neglected to mention the AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan, one of my top 3 synthetic knots.
View attachment 1515527
This is the AP Shave Co Black Green handle with the AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan. This costs US$30 including shipping. The G5C will take 4 to 5 shaves to loosen up. After that, it's a top tier synthetic. Great for bowl lathering, painting and face lathering. I had the good folks at AP Shave Co set the loft and it is just right.

This is the best recommendation I have for under US$50. :)

Hope this helps. :)
Curious what you had it set to ?
that is on my list of have to try :)

I don't have a whole lot of experience with synthetics. But I have a Simpsons Trafalgar and a Chubby 2, the fibre of which they call by another name which escapes me at the moment. Neither can hold a candle to the AP Shave G5C, which is good enough to rival a badger... and I'm a badger guy!

The G5C knot in an AP Shave chubby-esque handle ..

proxy.php

I don't have a whole lot of experience with synthetics. But I have a Simpsons Trafalgar and a Chubby 2, the fibre of which they call by another name which escapes me at the moment. Neither can hold a candle to the AP Shave G5C, which is good enough to rival a badger... and I'm a badger guy!

The G5C knot in an AP Shave chubby-esque handle ..

proxy.php

What size was that one :) nice looking handle to :)

I like my Simpson Trafalgar T3, it's my second choice when using a synthetic. The first choice is a Yaqi Timberwolf 24mm.

Public Service Message:
Simpsons is the TV show. Simpson is the brush company.
That is all, carry on.

That's true. I acquired a PAA Peregrino from the BST forum for a price I couldn't resist, and glad I didn't pay retail price for it. It's super floppy, more so than any synthetic (or natural) brush I've used.

I much prefer my Trafalgar T3, even my Razorock plissoft performs better but I'm mainly a bowl latherer, so maybe the Peregrino would suit you. It does splay easily.

Edit: in my opinion, the Razorock brush is a good compromise between the softer, floppier Peregrino and the shorter, stiffer T3. The Razorock has more backbone than the Peregrino, but still splays when I use it for head shaves. The T3 is the stiffest of the three, and a bit harder to splay, though Simpson recommends that you paint on your lather with the brush rather than scrubbing in a circular motion.

Copied from the Simpson website:

"When shaving try using paint brush back & forth strokes for lather building rather than circular 'mashing' motions which tend to put additional stress and pressure on the bristles. Excessive force can snap or dislodge bristles from their glue bond."
Thank you for recommending the Razorock. Got the 24mm Bruce handle… it’s everything I could want in a brush. It blows my best badger away. It splays wonderfully with just enough backbone, and feels incredibly soft. Thickest lather I’ve ever created, I would dare to say. For me, 24mm a good size— anything larger would be too big for me. I think my search is over. Cheers.

Attachments

• 31BF7900-8477-4569-BAE2-61131C4E0D8A.jpeg
    31BF7900-8477-4569-BAE2-61131C4E0D8A.jpeg
    871.4 KB · Views: 10
  • B1EAC932-1262-4A66-A517-9DF2AD2A6949.jpeg
    B1EAC932-1262-4A66-A517-9DF2AD2A6949.jpeg
    578.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Top Bottom