What's new

The Search for Shaving Zen

Who needs enlightenment with a brush like that? As the cartoon characters of my distant childhood would say: “AwooOogaa!”

That brush, the Blackland ti Blackbird, your top tier soaps, and maybe a blade would make every shave over the top.

The mental game is everything, but sometimes everything isn’t everything.

Did I mention that brush looks cool?

Thanks Thom! Yeah, I wasn’t positive what I wanted but when Rudy sent a picture of the spalted maple I said bingo. Hoping it performs half as good as it looks ha.

Had my first shave with the Lupo 72 SB today and it’s very, very different from the 95 OC.

It took 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) plus touch ups to match the performance of the 95 OC with 2 (WTG, XTG).

There is absolutely zero blade feel or harshness and it’s very smooth. I’d estimate it’s equivalent to a 6S somewhere in the 3-4 plate range. I felt like I could drag it around with reckless abandon and not get bit.

Despite some issues with the 95 OC on a couple of shaves I still prefer it to the 72 SB. I plan to keep the 72 though; it’s a good tool to have if you’ve got some irritation but still need a decent shave or just want to knock out a quick, mindless shave.

I’m curious if the 72 OC will be able to close the efficiency gap while maintaining that level of smoothness.

It’s here! It arrived 48 hours to the minute from when I ordered it. An impressive coast-to-coast transit worthy of it’s namesake.

8E0174D6-D642-4259-90D1-2720FA4F3123.jpeg

4DC37947-7AE6-4077-806D-A86794DE6204.jpeg

First shave with the Blackbird Ti today on 1.5 days growth. I loaded a second-use Nacet and lathered up with DG After the Rain.

My experience in one word - WOW! I want to try to stay impartial and objective through the first handful of shaves but I am seriously impressed. There is some blade feel but it's so incredibly smooth that unless you're really paying attention to it it feels mild. Much less harsh than the Lupo 95 OC which I didn't find to be very harsh most of the time. If not for the considerable audio feedback with the BB you wouldn't really know you're shaving.

I did feel a bit of drag that others have mentioned with a more shallow angle but it didn't negatively impact performance. As I progressed I found that I seemed to prefer a much steeper angle than I've used with any other razor so far. I will continue to experiment with that.

I ended up doing 3 full passes plus touch-ups which I rarely ever do, and never with efficient/aggressive razors, due to irritation. The Blackbird was just gliding and providing a level of enjoyment way above anything I've experienced with the 6S or Lupos.

I was a little concerned that the handle wouldn't provide enough grip compared to the knurling of all of my other handles but it was a complete non-issue. It was comfortable, secure, and nimble.

I'm not ready to make any proclamations yet but this is the first razor that gave me an immediate "this may be the one" vibes.

I had a similar feeling when the alien probe instrument, aka the Vector, landed in the mailbox, in it's titanium version. Enjoy the shaves and I loved the photo a few posts above, with the drawing and the photo of the 'bird!!

I loved the photo a few posts above, with the drawing and the photo of the 'bird!!

Thanks. The photos are with an SR-71 book that is very special to me. It’s a limited edition of Sled Driver by Brain Shul that was signed and given to my grandfather who was a friend. I was lucky enough to receive it after my grandfather passed.

Thanks. The photos are with an SR-71 book that is very special to me. It’s a limited edition of Sled Driver by Brain Shul that was signed and given to my grandfather who was a friend. I was lucky enough to receive it after my grandfather passed.
That is a very nice backstory. Thank you for sharing it with us. It is these things that make it so much more than shaving.

77DADDFA-FE1F-4B6C-87CD-9D025869FD3A.jpeg

Second shave with the Blackbird Ti and maiden voyage of my new Rudy Vey STF brush tonight.

I continue to be amazed by the smoothness of the Blackbird. I used a much steeper angle and as others have said noticed much less “drag.”

However, I was not able to get as close of a shave as I can get with the Lupo 95 OC. The benefit of the bird is I feel like I could shave and touch up all day with little to no irritation but feel like it has to be some sort of user error. I have solicited advice in one of the Blackbird threads.

The RV brush is quite the looker and the spalted maple handle adds a ton of character. The 23mm STF knot is incredibly soft and performs exactly like I was hoping it would. It splays easily without being weak or floppy as I’ve seen others say, and flow-through is excellent.

The only somewhat negative I could come up with is the loft is considerably shorter than my other brushes. It’s not an issue at all with applying the lather but I found myself banging the handle against the rim of my bowl much more than with any of my other brushes. I guess it’s more of just something I’ll have to get used to.

A&E SoCal Hipster is definitely my favorite soap so far. The scent is just perfect for me and performance is amazing.

View attachment 1509724

Second shave with the Blackbird Ti and maiden voyage of my new Rudy Vey STF brush tonight.

I continue to be amazed by the smoothness of the Blackbird. I used a much steeper angle and as others have said noticed much less “drag.”

However, I was not able to get as close of a shave as I can get with the Lupo 95 OC. The benefit of the bird is I feel like I could shave and touch up all day with little to no irritation but feel like it has to be some sort of user error. I have solicited advice in one of the Blackbird threads.

The RV brush is quite the looker and the spalted maple handle adds a ton of character. The 23mm STF knot is incredibly soft and performs exactly like I was hoping it would. It splays easily without being weak or floppy as I’ve seen others say, and flow-through is excellent.

The only somewhat negative I could come up with is the loft is considerably shorter than my other brushes. It’s not an issue at all with applying the lather but I found myself banging the handle against the rim of my bowl much more than with any of my other brushes. I guess it’s more of just something I’ll have to get used to.

A&E SoCal Hipster is definitely my favorite soap so far. The scent is just perfect for me and performance is amazing.
Love hearing your reactions to the Blackbird Ti. I think one of my first acquisitions will be the Era, depending on whether I decide on the 3 or 4 plate (and if the former comes back into stock)!

Today marks my 1 month wet shaving-versary and my 20th DE shave. So I’m basically an expert now! 😂

Took the Blackbird out again but with a Feather blade for the first time. It's definitely in the same class as Nacet for me - sharp and smooth. It will take some more time to discern any minute differences.

I chased BBS tonight and was really experimenting with angles. I think I might've figured the Bird out for me. I can get a smoooth CCS to DFS by going steep all day long with no irritation whatsoever. If I'm willing to deal with some very minor irritation I can use a neutral angle and get DFS+ to BBS results.

I did 4 passes plus touch ups tonight and it's one the best shaves I've ever had. I had some minor irritation on my neck and jawline but not enough that I wouldn't want to shave tomorrow.

All-in-all I'm figuring things out and enjoying the heck out of every minute of it.

I can't believe in 1 month I've gone from this:
DDDA2477-D48E-4EDC-99E4-C6E6C81673C2.jpeg

To this!
1C86451E-65AA-4C1F-B739-985030937E9D.jpeg

touch ups tonight and it's one the best shaves I've ever had. I had some minor irritation on my neck and jawline but not enough that I wouldn't want to shave tomorrow.

All-in-all I'm figuring things out and enjoying the heck out of every minute of it.

I can't believe in 1 month I've gone from this:

To this!
That's quite the glow-up! I had been using a Harry's cartridge razor and cremo every day for about 5 years. The difference in quality of a morning routine really is incredible

First Blackland Thursday and first use of the SOC Mistura brush but unfortunately it was a pretty mediocre shave.

I soaked the Mistura in warm water while I showered which loosened it up considerably. It has a lot more backbone and scrub than my synths but it still felt soft and nice in a different way. I look forward to seeing how it breaks in.

I went back to my sample of Stirling Haverford tonight and it solidified that Stirling just isn't on the same level as my other soaps. I believe I over hydrated my lather too which didn't do it any favors.

I only did two passes tonight (WTG and XTG) using a more neutral angle. Result was a DFS with no irritation but I had 6-7 weepers on my face and neck; I've never had more than 2 in a single shave. Blade was a second-use Feather; I don't think it was the blade but I did decide to toss it after the shave.

71161D05-857B-46F0-A1F2-308AF36D973C.jpeg

Blackbird Ti
Permasharp (1)
Southern Witchcrafts Pomona
Rudy Vey STF

Happy to report that whatever last night’s nonsense was is out of my system. Tonight’s shave was smooth and comfortable. Two passes (WTG and XTG) and some minor touch ups for a DFS.

I really enjoyed the first use of the Permasharp blade. Very smooth! It’s early but it could be a contender to Nacet as my favorite.

7FF53171-5CC8-4264-A18A-A54E933B55C7.jpeg

First Blackland Thursday and first use of the SOC Mistura brush but unfortunately it was a pretty mediocre shave.

I soaked the Mistura in warm water while I showered which loosened it up considerably. It has a lot more backbone and scrub than my synths but it still felt soft and nice in a different way. I look forward to seeing how it breaks in.

I went back to my sample of Stirling Haverford tonight and it solidified that Stirling just isn't on the same level as my other soaps. I believe I over hydrated my lather too which didn't do it any favors.

I only did two passes tonight (WTG and XTG) using a more neutral angle. Result was a DFS with no irritation but I had 6-7 weepers on my face and neck; I've never had more than 2 in a single shave. Blade was a second-use Feather; I don't think it was the blade but I did decide to toss it after the shave.

View attachment 1511319
Shaves are like this sometimes. I blame Mr. Murphy! :letterk1:

But is does stink when an anticipated shave is subpar some aspect. But like you know, you get to do it again in about 24 hours!

Blackbird Ti
PermaSharp (2)
B&M Le Grand Chypre
SOC Mistura

Fantastic shave tonight! 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) plus touch-ups for a BBS result. One weeper near my Adam's Apple from an errant pass.

While I still think the Nacet remains king of my den, the PermaSharp is a fantastic blade and I plan to pick up a 100 pack at some point.

B&M Omnibus is a tier 1 soap for sure with excellent performance and I really enjoy the LCG scent. I've got two new soaps on the way from PAA (Garden of Bali) and Mammoth (Mood Indigo). I hear excellent things about both the CK-6 and Tusk bases and am expecting them to join my top tier.

The SOC Mistura continues to come into its own. I do find it odd that it and the Mühle STF couldn't be more different yet I enjoy them both. I think they will make a great 1-2 punch and plan to alternate them every other shave for the coming future.

BM_LGC.jpeg

Blackbird Ti
PermaSharp (2)
B&M Le Grand Chypre
SOC Mistura

Fantastic shave tonight! 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) plus touch-ups for a BBS result. One weeper near my Adam's Apple from an errant pass.

While I still think the Nacet remains king of my den, the PermaSharp is a fantastic blade and I plan to pick up a 100 pack at some point.

B&M Omnibus is a tier 1 soap for sure with excellent performance and I really enjoy the LCG scent. I've got two new soaps on the way from PAA (Garden of Bali) and Mammoth (Mood Indigo). I hear excellent things about both the CK-6 and Tusk bases and am expecting them to join my top tier.

The SOC Mistura continues to come into its own. I do find it odd that it and the Mühle STF couldn't be more different yet I enjoy them both. I think they will make a great 1-2 punch and plan to alternate them every other shave for the coming future.

Sounds like a great session. I definitely enjoy the Omnibus base but just could never quite connect with the B&M scents. But Le Grand Chypre was one of my favorites under consideration. Look forward to hearing how you fare with the Tusk base from Mammoth. Definitely one I enjoy (especially since it is mainly what I post these days :) ).

I’m happy to hear the mistura is starting to break in well! I have a few Kai blades coming in Tuesday, I’m excited to pair them with some of my milder vintage techs.

I’m happy to hear the mistura is starting to break in well! I have a few Kai blades coming in Tuesday, I’m excited to pair them with some of my milder vintage techs.

I’m excited to try Kai as well. My next 3 will be Kai, Wizamet SI, and BIC CP though I’m unsure of what order yet.

Top Bottom