What's new

what is your dream carry?

I've always liked the reverse two tone of the 1911 on Nash Bridges. his was a colt chambered in .38 super. the one I would want:

1648258355232.png

Except I want it in 10mm and a commander size

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
For a production (think affordable) I had it and traded it in. Springfield Full sized Loaded Lightweight 1911 (aluminum frame). I went back a week later after I’d come to my senses and someone had already bought it. Only thing I would have changed is chamber it in .38 super. They make/made an operator lightweight but I can’t stand seeing a rail on a 1911 dust cover.

If we’re taking anything goes I’ll need more time to think about it but it will be chambered in 10mm or 38 super.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Already have it. 😊 Nighthawk Counselor in 9mm.
🤔 I'd like to handle one of those...

AA

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
🤔 I'd like to handle one of those...

AA
If you are ever Arkansas way hit me hit me up and we'll burn a couple hundred rounds! It is a unique piece in that Nighthawk worked some "magic" on it. I don't know what they do but the recoil impluse is just like my 9mm 1911 Gov't Model. I tell everyone it is like a Chihuahua. Ya know... Little dog that thinks it's a big dog!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If you are ever Arkansas way hit me hit me up and we'll burn a couple hundred rounds! It is a unique piece in that Nighthawk worked some "magic" on it. I don't know what they do but the recoil impluse is just like my 9mm 1911 Gov't Model. I tell everyone it is like a Chihuahua. Ya know... Little dog that thinks it's a big dog!

I'll trap-and-transport a few dozen house-eaters 🐿️ 🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️ at the same time! 😂 Thanks.

AA

Summer carry and my favorite for toting around.
Kimber Eclipse Ultra, 45 ACP in Del Fatti IWB
Baby.jpg

Only carried in winter because it rides around in a Del Fatti OWB.
Springfield Champion that I bobtailed.
BOB.jpg

BBQ #1. 38 Super with Buffalo Bone grips.
BBQ1.jpg

BBQ #2. 45 ACP with BBQ / Delfatti holster (I use the same holster for both BBQ guns).
BBQ2.jpg

That's it for me. The rest are range toys.

Bill.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Already have it. It started out as a Kimber Compact CDPII like this. Aluminum annodized frame, stainless steel slide, extreme melt job, night sights.

Kimber.jpg

Then the things I did or had done by either Robar (now defunct) or EGW (now out of the smithing business, only making precision parts for guns and aircraft-But George Smith is a gunsmithing genius who built all of Doug Koenig's cometition guns, and he's local to me).

• Schwarz firing pin safety parts removed (by me)
  • S&A Arched & Checkered MSH (by me)
  • Engraved name on slide forward of ejection port (by trophy shop)
  • Wilson 6N slim combat safety, single side fitted
  • Wilson bullet proof slide stop fitted
  • Wilson bullet proof firing pin stop fitted
  • Wilson bullet proof extractor, tuned
  • Ed Brown beavertail grip safety fitted
  • Combat trigger job with
    • -Ed Brown match sear
    • -Ed Brown match disconnector
    • -Ed Brown match hammer
  • Ed Brown Mag release
  • Crown barrel
  • Strip finish on frame
  • NP3 Complete gun including internals
  • NP3 magazines (One Wilson standard-follower Officers 6-rounder, and two CobraMags)
  • Grips by Esmerelda
I have a Lou Alessi shoulder rig for it (RIP, Lou) along with OWB and IWB Galcos for it.

BabyLeft.jpg

BabyRight.jpg

Couple of interesting things about it. Because it is a compact, it has a 23# spring, not the normal 16#. With the extreme melt job I, literally, could not rack the slide after the NP3 coating, it was too slippery. So I had George Smith of EGW and his crew recut the slide serrations so I could rack it. Something else George did which is genius. These guns were notable for having the feed ramp in the aluminum slide get scored by hollow points. So George milled out the feed ramp area, added a matching steel piece there (I think he called it a Dutchman, name for a process?) which is both epoxied into the frame and screwed in from behind the trigger guard. Then he put it in a CNC milling machine and recut the feedramp. Result? I now have an aluminum-framed carry gun with a steel feedramp! 😎

This has the Officer sized frame, not full-sized like the Commander, but the 4" barrel works really well (Commanders have 4.25"). Some of the ultra-compact .45 guns are not reliable, they are too small for the design and I won't carry them. But this is just perfect. Goldilocks. It's a bull barrel, so no front bushing, and a little more weight up front. It's about as perfect a .45 carry gun as I could wish for. Expensive as hell,but I got what I wanted out of it.

Interestingly, almost all 1911's now come with flat mainspring housings, but over the years they came with both flat or arched. I point better with the arched, which is why I replaced it. I also have a Nighthawk GRP Recon that I had done with an arched MSH with magazine feed ramps.

Last edited:
Not sure what a "Dream Carry" would be for me. I've had a lot of different ones over the years and they all have some give and take. That being said, this is one of my favorite on a cool day when I can wear a lite jacket.

20220327_131718_resized.jpg

20220327_132911.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I’d like to carry Chris’s Staccato, Mike’s Colt Officer’s or Tim’s Browning High Power.

Not necessarily in that order, but preferably all at the same time.

Oh, and I didn’t have to give them back. :)

Top Bottom