What's new

What's a good Den size?

Hey All, fairly new to DE razors but got the bug. Was going to build myself a brass and wood rack to house my razors/stands but realized to build it, I need to come to a decision on what I should limit my den size to (currently only using 3). My original thinking was to build a 6 spot rack. Which would give me a couple to rotate through and a couple for specific situations. But then again 10 is a nice round number and gives me more room to grow... Hahahah. Definitely a slippery slope. How many users have you guys settled on in your den?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Here are my thoughts, but I am DEFINITELY in the minority with these opinions.

Two razors:
Razors are the single item that needs the most amount of personal adjustment when you change from one to another. Where to hold for best balance, angles needed, maybe even sequence of passes. Changes in blade, soap or brush don't mess with the kinesthetics of the shave, anywhere near as much. I therefore have one closed comb razor that dies most of the shaves, and switch to one open comb razor when I need to shift heavy growth, including redefining sideburns length, or the perimeter of a partial beard. I do have others, which I will use occasionally, and that usually screws up the quality of my shaves for a while. Well, lowers them from the quality of shave that I get from sticking to one razor, anyway.

Three soaps:
Facing more choice than that per shave, is annoying for me. I do however have a little "workaround", whereby one of the three choices is a small sample of a tub soap, of which I have several, so I do get a little more change and variety, without being overwhelmed with choice every day. I do have "stock" of spare hard soaps too, but only reach for the next when the current one is finished.

Two brushes:
One for hard soaps, and one for soft soaps and creams. Different brushes favour different products in that way. OK, I actually have four, well five if you count my travel brush. The other two are a badger brush for when scrub takes priority over lather (freeing an ingrown hair for example - I have quite frizzy growth), and a spare which will work well to get me by is any of the others conn out.

Blades:
Get stuck in. Whatever floats your boat. I have personally lived through blade droughts, where I have literally been unable to get hold of double edged blades for a few months. I am determined to never have to endure that again.

Aftersplats:
Lotions, potions, balms, and pharms... I don't always use them. Maybe one in four shaves. Some folks have a cocktail of topical applications which must take longer to do than the shave itself. Follow your own path, but I'm a believer of not making things more difficult than they need to be.

Yoo will get many different answers here! In recent years I have slimmed down my den a lot as I have realised that consistency helps me get better and quicker shaves. I have also made the decision to spend less. But I still like a bit of variety and have really moved away from using DE razors regularly. Currently I have:

6 razors (Gillette Guard, Schick Type J, Twig, Broman, EJDE89, English Tech)

Blades: 130 Guard carts, approx 190 Permasharp half DE blades, approx 100 Astra SP blades, approx 90 Personna injector blades.

Soap/cream: Arko tub, Proraso Green tub, Lea Stick, Wilkinson Sword stick, Trumpers Coconut oil cream.

Brushes: Yaqi Sagrada Familia, Well Groomed Wizard travel brush.

Post-shave: Creighton’s salicylic serum, Nivea Intensive Moisturiser. I also have one aftershave, which is Scottish Fine Soaps Thistle and Black Pepper.

This is the perfect size for me. Probably this would be considered quite a small den by most here!

Definitely not minimalistic but still rather compact at least imo :letterk1:
2 shelves and the side
0F138F5C-F786-42E4-BEEF-4DC5FB51423B.jpeg

910DD793-5E28-4222-8041-E42350165042.jpeg

A9FF9630-7AB0-409B-98EC-5684747E9D05.jpeg

I do not know how to write you a personal message, I have been on the forum not so long ago. If you tell me how to write to you, then I will explain to you about $30
You need 10 posts for PM‘s so no need to rush.

This kit is roundabout 12.00 but you would need to add some post care (alum, AS, balm).
93165334-E2C0-4417-ACCC-D6FA99D15C5F.jpeg

You are the only person who can answer this question!

For me, there was an acquisition phase when I could not get enough kit. Then, I went into a PIF/consumption phase when I cut down dramatically. Others specialize in one AD or another.

The ‘good news’ is that there is always something new to try and enjoy!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
What you think of as "enough" now may seem like too little in a month or a year, also bear in mind that this hobby has a way of filling any empty space. I have thought of building a shaving shelf, but I have one shelf in the bathroom that I limit myself to for soaps, aftershaves etc and a hanging shower shelf for razors and brushes. I have gone through a number of ADs (although not as bad as some) and currently try to limit purchases as much as possible. I am also trying to thin the herd of soaps from a number I promised myself I would never reach.
In short there is no answer to your question, it may be better to look at your storage as a constraint on any ADs you may pick up as you get more into this hobby rather than a goal you wish to attain.

I'm probably 'down' to 10 to 15 razors. Only you can answer, and unfortunately that answer may change for you. A rack that holds 6 or 10 sounds perfect, you cam have those be out on rotation and store some in a drawer.

Some folks here have a few razors, while others 'just' need one more in their collection.

That's a den! Thanks for sharing.
It’s an accumulation and I’m trying to whittle it down a bit and give it some structure.
Definitely too may AS open, at least half of the razors are being used only very infrequently and the brush rotation is borderline overwhelming. GRUME is a blessing :)

Here's my KISS Style Shave Den:
Shave-Den_2022-01-16.jpg

Like most shaving hobbyists, I have far too much STUFF. To see all of it displayed in the bathroom would drive me crazy (I mean, crazier :crazy:).

I like to have ONLY what I'm using on display and ready to grab. Everything else is in drawers (outside the bathroom) neatly laid out so that viewing and choosing something different is easy.

Pre shave, I'll know if I'm happy with what's on display immediately. If I'd like to change something, I usually know exactly what that change should be... and can make that change (or changes) in less than a minute.

I will then proceed to enjoy my shave with my mind at peace, and no other shaving "clutter" to spoil it. :biggrin:

Of course, YMMV... and that's the beauty of this hobby. Vive la différence. :punk:

Hey All, fairly new to DE razors but got the bug. Was going to build myself a brass and wood rack to house my razors/stands but realized to build it, I need to come to a decision on what I should limit my den size to (currently only using 3). My original thinking was to build a 6 FOOT rack. Which would give me a couple to rotate through and a couple for specific situations. But then again 10 is a nice round number and gives me more room to grow... Hahahah. Definitely a slippery slope. How many users have you guys settled on in your den?
There ya go, buddy!😉👍

Top Bottom