What's new

Why do people like solid brass razors?

Why do people like all brass razors that are not coated with chrome or anything? Is it because of the antiseptic properties of brass, or is it something else? Brass tarnishes (patinates if you prefer) and has to be polished to be kept looking nice, unless one likes the look of unpolished and tarnished brass.

I am curious. I like the weight and I know brass can be cast into any shape required and I love the look when polished or at least cleaned up.

I have some polished brass razors and polished copper. Theyre beautiful.

FB_IMG_1639485634263.jpg
20211205_110003.jpg

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I can admire chrome-plated, nickel-plated, naked and bright...even darkened brass.

I prefer blackened brass to polishing, because it is originally a material that changes with time, and different uses will give brass a staged charm.

And it also smells of money. ;)

I bought a brass Karve over a year ago. It is my least favorite razor. I was looking for something milder and higher quality but didn't want to spend on SS, so i chose the brass Karve. I think that if you collect razors, its just something different to have- no chance i'll ever buy a brass razor again. I would consider aluminum.

I’ve also never understood the necessity for women to have a set of silverware. It gets pulled out once or twice a year and every knife, fork and spoon has to be cleaned with silver polish to remove the black oxidization.
Agreed. Luckily my wife has no interest in silverware. 👍

Re: brass, I like the weight and the look. And compared to other razor materials, it is fairly inexpensive.

Brass is heavier than stainless steel. :wink2:
I don’t know, but all my stainless gear weighs a ton. Perhaps they’re machined thicker than my vintage brass based razors, or just happen to have thicker handles and such. Even my brass Parkers with Zamak heads seem to outweigh my vintage razors.

I guess the majority of my DE collection are brass razors as I prefer vintage Gillette’s, but it wasn’t anything conscious about material. They do stand the test of time however.
Yes, but those are likely nickel or chrome plated and not bare brass. I do like it when it is plated like that, for sure.

Top Bottom