What's new

The Ultimate Shaving Kit

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I just read the how to build lather tutorial. Wow I am even better at it and the lather is great. So silky and slick while more pillowey.

The Vander Hagen puck seems to last simply forever. Do all of them do that?

Can't wait to try fancy things. Hurry huh up delivery

I am much better. It's better lather too. I made an even more perfect cloud but forgot to photo.
I have to go make dinner the bf is grumpy I have been on this forum all day talking to you all. Xoxo

Attachments

• 20211107_174154.jpg
    20211107_174154.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
I am much better at it. It's better lather too. I made an even more perfect cloud but forgot to photo.
I have to go make dinner the bf is grumpy I have been on this forum all day talking to you all. Xoxo

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Can't wait to try fancy things. Hurry huh up delivery

Nothing wrong with trying things.

That said, it's not uncommon to find something you like, prefer, and tend to use, something which is a lot less expensive and a lot less fancy than other gear.

For example, I have literally boxes and boxes of soap most of which I never use. My main soap is one of the least expensive soaps I've tried - Vitos Red Cocco - although it's become more challenging to find. Gifts and Care have it...I just bought another brick so I'm very well stocked.

Sometimes you get what you pay extra for, but not always.

Happy shaves,

Jim

For shave soaps, there are so many good choices it is difficult to know what you would like most. I'd suggest some of these with more unisex scents and great performance:
  • Haslinger Schafmilch or Haslinger Coconut
  • Provence Sante Verlaine or Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme
  • Klar Ginger & Lotus Root
  • Cella Extra Extra Bio (soft soap)
For razors, if you like the Feather AS-D2 you can probably stop there. I might suggest a razor like the Henson for variety's sake.

For a brush, although I like natural hair brushes, I think I'd suggest a synthetic with a longer handle, such as the Yaqi Cola or my favorite, the PAA Starcraft:

1636330618282.png
proxy.php

Last edited:
you will be selling yourself short if you don’t have a look at the Henson razor.

They are fantastic for face and body, fairly priced and have many colors available.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
So many questions so little time. Actually, I've got all day, but perfection is not to be found on this quest - only satisfaction.

There is no need/requirement for an additional razor to audition blades. If you have a razor you like that's the perfect one for trying alternative blade choice. You might even find that your current best blade becomes your second best blade. If you want to spend some money this is the place for advice, but it isn't at all necessary.

I suspect you will be best served with a large brush. For me they work better (faster) in a bowl, and you've probably got more area to cover (assuming legs are bigger than chins). There are lots of fine choices and your synthetic might already be one of them. Synthetic is you best choice for the money. You can get a nice one for $15, and I wouldn't use a $15 badger to dust off my shelf.

Nice brushes are expensive, so you might want to get a little more experience to decide what your current brush isn't doing for you. Bigger? Smaller? More backbone? Hold more lather? You will get excellent suggestions if you can provide some detail about your wants.

Some people love tallow. Some don't like it at all. I don't care one way or the other, as long as it's good soap. MdC (Martin de Candre) is my favorite soap and it has no tallow. I wouldn't get too excited about it, try a bunch and see what you like.

There are tons of soaps and creams. Some people select their favorites based on scent, so decide how important that might be for you. If you ask what's a good soap I promise you will get 56 different answers and prices from $4 to $50. The two soaps I use with some regularity are MdC for $55 and WK Pasha's Pride for $25. But the MdC lasts me 13 months of daily shaves and the WK lasts for 4 months, so the WK is quite a bit more expensive. Initial price doesn't tell the whole story.

I suggest you look through some "favorite 5 soaps" posts (could be favorite 3, etc.). After a handful of pages you will see two things: 1. There are lots of soaps out there that are obviously fine choices. 2. Some of those soaps keep showing up on a lot of shaver's lists. I'd start with those. Just be careful of the potentially stinky soaps (I'm not going to mention any names so the Arko enthusiasts don't go crazy).

The best moisturizer I've found is Clinique Moisturizer for Men, but the women's version (I read) is exactly the same thing - maybe different color. Lots of Nivea fans here as well.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the journey is to find out what works for your shaving/skin. The only way to do that is read a little and try things out. Samples are good. Maybe travel sized moisturizer.

Good luck.

First, there are so many options and so little time! Everyone here will have different and valid opinions.

That said, here are a few recommendations that work for me.

Razor: Merkur 34C or one of the EJ 89 series. These are fine razors in the mild/moderate range that would be different from your AS/D2.

Blades: purchase a blade sampler or two.

Brush: I prefer badgers, but the price point for an enjoyable badger is higher than for a synthetic or boar. In addition, it takes awhile to break in a boar brush, so this must be considered. I would pick an appealing boar or badger (avoid the ’pure‘ grade which simply has too much ‘scritch’ for my taste.)

Soaps/creams: Pick up a shave stick from La Toja or Speick which offer an easy route to make great lather. You might also consider some of the options discussed on the soap and/or cream forums.

For a moisturizer you might consider an AS balm (perhaps PdP) or a moisturizer (I like CeraVe).

Hope this helps! :thumbup::thumbup:

So many questions so little time. Actually, I've got all day, but perfection is not to be found on this quest - only satisfaction.

There is no need/requirement for an additional razor to audition blades. If you have a razor you like that's the perfect one for trying alternative blade choice. You might even find that your current best blade becomes your second best blade. If you want to spend some money this is the place for advice, but it isn't at all necessary.

I suspect you will be best served with a large brush. For me they work better (faster) in a bowl, and you've probably got more area to cover (assuming legs are bigger than chins). There are lots of fine choices and your synthetic might already be one of them. Synthetic is you best choice for the money. You can get a nice one for $15, and I wouldn't use a $15 badger to dust off my shelf.

Nice brushes are expensive, so you might want to get a little more experience to decide what your current brush isn't doing for you. Bigger? Smaller? More backbone? Hold more lather? You will get excellent suggestions if you can provide some detail about your wants.

Some people love tallow. Some don't like it at all. I don't care one way or the other, as long as it's good soap. MdC (Martin de Candre) is my favorite soap and it has no tallow. I wouldn't get too excited about it, try a bunch and see what you like.

There are tons of soaps and creams. Some people select their favorites based on scent, so decide how important that might be for you. If you ask what's a good soap I promise you will get 56 different answers and prices from $4 to $50. The two soaps I use with some regularity are MdC for $55 and WK Pasha's Pride for $25. But the MdC lasts me 13 months of daily shaves and the WK lasts for 4 months, so the WK is quite a bit more expensive. Initial price doesn't tell the whole story.

I suggest you look through some "favorite 5 soaps" posts (could be favorite 3, etc.). After a handful of pages you will see two things: 1. There are lots of soaps out there that are obviously fine choices. 2. Some of those soaps keep showing up on a lot of shaver's lists. I'd start with those. Just be careful of the potentially stinky soaps (I'm not going to mention any names so the Arko enthusiasts don't go crazy).

The best moisturizer I've found is Clinique Moisturizer for Men, but the women's version (I read) is exactly the same thing - maybe different color. Lots of Nivea fans here as well.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the journey is to find out what works for your shaving/skin. The only way to do that is read a little and try things out. Samples are good. Maybe travel sized moisturizer.

Good luck.
Thank you, and I might just take to trying new blades in the Feather now that you mention it. I didn't really do that. I got rid of all my blades including 100 silver blue. I got one bad blade and turned on that one.

Another sample pack. Why yes.

I find my brush to be pretty good and I can't think of anything I want to change right now. Maybe bigger.

Thanks for your reply.

First, there are so many options and so little time! Everyone here will have different and valid opinions.

Razor: Merkur 34C or one of the EJ 89 series. These are fine razors in the mild/moderate range that would be different from your AS/D2.

Brush: I prefer badgers, but the price point for an enjoyable badger is higher than for a synthetic or boar. In addition, it takes awhile to break in a boar brush, so this must be considered. I would pick an appealing boar or badger (avoid the ’pure‘ grade which simply has too much ‘scritch’ for my taste.)

Soaps/creams: Pick up a shave stick from La Toja or Speick which offer an easy route to make great lather. You might also consider some of the options discussed on the soap and/or cream forums.

For a moisturizer you might consider an AS balm (perhaps PdP) or a moisturizer (I like CeraVe).

It did help thank you!

Also yeah clinique is a great moisturizer. I use it. Also Emis is good

Attachments

• 20211108_092411.jpg
    20211108_092411.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Oliviamaynard you don't have to spend time trying the multitude of variations in DE razor/blade combinations. You might as well move onto straight razors (SR) now. Many DE shavers move up to SR's and within a month start asking themselves why they didn't start in their teens.

Just to whet your appetite:

hh-a.jpg

@Oliviamaynard you don't have to spend time trying the multitude of variations in DE razor/blade combinations. You might as well move onto straight razors (SR) now. Many DE shavers move up to SR's and within a month start asking themselves why they didn't start in their teens.

Just to whet your appetite:

That was my plan, but after using the straight razor I bought I thought. Omg I have to pay too much attention. So I gave it away just this week.

I am so excited! I got the PAA scentless soap already. It's so nice. It's certainly fast at making lather and I only used the tiniest amount.
Can't wait to shave with it. Tomorrow

Attachments

• 20211108_184801.jpg
    20211108_184801.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
Jeez you got that figured out quick, you are going to be the Assistant Lather Teacher at this rate! I don't see any large air bubbles and that is about as wet as you can get that soap without breaking it.
Thank you. I like making lather and it's fun. I am getting good at it

Top Bottom