What's new

The Ultimate Shaving Kit

As a newb to the hobby and obsession I need something to focus on. So I am going to focus on building the ultimate minimalist setup.
Since I lucked out and got the perfect razor and blade combo on my second purchase I have to pick a soap or cream and Brush. Also let's add moisturizer too.

However, I also do still want to try new things so I need a second razor. The second razor is to try different blades.

What's a good general razor of quality build and good grip that would be best for comparing blades?

Not too expensive, but not butterly or like Vander Hagen. Butterfly opening is out.

Also, I am trying a fancy soap cream hybrid. As I have taken to shaving every day I find my skin drying. Also winter. So hydration is important.

Is tallow really that good?

Brush I have is synthetic and inexpensive.

I think I have a great bowl.

What else should I consider to make this fun try new things kit?

I have a perfect reference razor. As it's perfect. So I need perfect shave soap and brush to have a great hobby science kit to build a review excell spreadsheet.

Also the great part about two razors is I can use both stands I love.

Outside of vintage things for display of course

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Finding one perfect razor is a concept that has eluded me
When you say you have the perfect razor what is it? I think I missed that in your post.
Perfect soaps brushes
Or anything for that matter are a ymmv thing. So I’m sure there’s a lot of opinions abd options. Short of buying and trying though it’s difficult to say.

this is such a YMMV thing... ask 20 people, you'll get 40 answers.

yes, tallows are nice and my preference, and I get their best performance easier/quicker than comparable quality veggie soaps. there are very good veggie soaps out there, it just my experience that it takes longer and they're a touch more fiddly to get that same of quality of lather.

where you live and what you're willing to pay can also be a factor for international buying and shipping. I'm US based and have bought from Europe easily to save a bit of money. I tend to bundle purchases when I do that.

Soaps: for going on the better part of a decade I've kept MWF, Hasslinger Aloe Vera (they're all comparable on performance, but I don't like their other scents. they recently transitioned away from tallow to veggie but their performance is indistinguishable), Mike's Naturals, Speick (they come in sticks, grate/slice up two, press them into a container and you have a puck for the house).

I make pucks out of sticks for the house, and sticks out of pucks to travel with them. you can get plenty of preferences from others, and you'll just have to try them out. for winter, a tallow and lanolin combo tends to be very good for post shave feel. others will likely recommend a post shave balm or treatment. I don't use any, so I can't comment on their efficacy.

Creams: I have very little experience with them, and have stuck with soaps because I've preferred their performance.

brushes: if you're happy with your synth... great. I'm not a fan of the ones I've tried and stick with boar and badger. if you're shaving your legs and/or large swaths of real estate, bigger brushes are probably more efficient. if you want to go the inexpensive route, I'd recommend one of the Omega professional series, either a 48/49. boars do take some break in, but you can go down to the Brushes area to start researching. a bigger synth would likely work just fine for you too. not knowing your experience level, as you improve your skill, you'll shave faster and lathering up bigger sections will help speed things along, with less trips to the brush/bowl.

if you have an alum block (or a crystal deodorant stick), wetting your offhand fingertips with some alum will help your grip in areas that get too slippery normally while trying to stretch skin. I've found that helpful.

Finding one perfect razor is a concept that has eluded me
When you say you have the perfect razor what is it? I think I missed that in your post.
Perfect soaps brushes
Or anything for that matter are a ymmv thing. So I’m sure there’s a lot of opinions abd options. Short of buying and trying though it’s difficult to say.
I have extremely sensitive skin that isn't corse or thick but dark and I have pale skin.
I have the Feather ASD2 with Feather blades.
I find by every measure I can think that's itsnthe perfect shave. Also fun.

However, other than KAI which I plan to try I can't test out bladesnin it. Cause perfect is just perfect.

However there may be other paths to perfect.

Well if you want to test blades, the Henson medium is probably a good compliment to your Feather. It is targeted at cartridge converts and has a flat side that sets the angle. It has the tiniest bit of blade feel, but won't bite due to the blade angle and clamping. The long handle is a bonus and it is light weight. I know you are shaving blind, but don't know if you are standing. The light weight might be a plus if you are. The price has been going up and some don't feel it justifies its price any more. A cheaper alternative with similar design is the Merica razor, but it is very heavy.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What's a perfect brush?

You do know there's no consensus on questions like that, right? There are way too many skins for one thing. Some people want the softest brush possible. Some want a lot of scrub. Then there is size. I like large brushes. Some people like small brushes. Aside from that there are badgers, boars, synthetics, horse, and mixtures, all of which can be very good.

Of course, in the brush world a huge consideration is price so let's start with that.

You can find a probably decent synthetic for a very low price. PAA, Yaqi, and many others. You can also spend between $50 - $100 on a synthetic.

9-21-21.Karve.OC-B.EVO.Vitos.640.JPG

To me, the Omega Evo is an excellent brush in all respects. It's my only synthetic. Rave @Raven Koenes says it's the world's best brush.

In boars there are many many options. Some take a very long time to break in. If you want one that's soft and breaks in immediately I'd suggest a Zenith.

Zeniths.All.Boars.640.9-27-18.JPG

There are many sizes and shapes of Zenith bleached boars. (Unbleached boars take a good while to break in.) Most Zenith boars sold by the eBay vendor and by YourShaving are bleached. I like lofts of 57 mm or lower in Zenith boars (usually).

In very soft (but not without scrub) badgers some of my favorites are these.

MS two band. 30mm.White.480.png

That's a Maseto. Look on eBay. Both the two band and three band Maseto brushes are soft.

The Zenith silvertips are soft too.​
4-2-20.Zenith.Silvertip.New.136.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

The price range of badgers which are in my opinion worth your money ranges from the Stirling and Yaqi models up to just about any absurd amount you can imagine paying.

Don't neglect looking up the Semogue Mistura. It's a great brush for under $100. I love mine and most everyone loves theirs.

10-12-21.Wolf-1.15.CH3-Manchurian.SS-NIL.640.JPG

I've scored some great brushes on the BST. One of my favorites from the BST is the Simpson Manchurian which, new from Simpson, is beyond my budget for brushes.

Some wonderfully soft brushes in my collection took forever to become soft. I've tried to suggest ones which were soft or softish to begin with without a ton of breaking in.

As they say, YMMV.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Well if you want to test blades, the Henson medium is probably a good compliment to your Feather. It is targeted at cartridge converts and has a flat side that sets the angle. It has the tiniest bit of blade feel, but won't bite due to the blade angle and clamping. The long handle is a bonus and it is light weight. I know you are shaving blind, but don't know if you are standing. The light weight might be a plus if you are. The price has been going up and some don't feel it justifies its price any more. A cheaper alternative with similar design is the Merica razor, but it is very heavy.
I can shave standing or in the tub. Sometimes I shave in the shower standing and fast and safe is important. Thus why I really like that ASD2. It's so good for that. You know take time to make nice lather .....

I can use the feather with regular body wash qctually. It's more a tool. It gets its own category. Still fun though.

When shaving as hobby and trying new things it will be laying down in a bath always. So consider that.

It sounds like you have a great setup already. If you're looking to expand, I would suggest an adjustable razor. You can adjust for differing sensitivities of where you're shaving. Plus there's like a million different blades you can try out.

Brushes and soaps/ creams I would ask in this specific subforums, only because of the sensitive skin you mentioned.

It sounds like you have a great setup already. If you're looking to expand, I would suggest an adjustable razor. You can adjust for differing sensitivities of where you're shaving. Plus there's like a million different blades you can try out.

Brushes and soaps/ creams I would ask in this specific subforums, only because of the sensitive skin you mentioned.
I think it's good. Can't wait to try PAA soap. Now I have Vander hagen. The brush seems ok.

Attachments

• 20211107_150119.jpg
    20211107_150119.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 9
You have the lathering figured out obviously. Both Captains Choice and PAA make scuttles. There is nothing wrong with using any random thing, but if you want to upgrade make sure it is something with ridges in the bottom like the above mentioned. Plus, scuttles allow you to have heated lather.

You have the lathering figured out obviously. Both Captains Choice and PAA make scuttles. There is nothing wrong with using any random thing, but if you want to upgrade make sure it is something with ridges in the bottom like the above mentioned. Plus, scuttles allow you to have heated lather.
Ok a.scuttle it is

Okie Dokie here you go

You can probably find the PAA one and also there are a lot to check out on Etsy.

Edit: direct link

Edit 2, I found this

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have several scuttles - including this brush scuttle - but don't use any of them to build lather. I'm a face-latherer. 100%

1636324804087.png

I use this brush scuttle to warm my brush and lather. It's a favorite item. Works great.

On vacation I figure out a workaround. There are lots of ways to accomplish things.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom