What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Legion

Staff member
Lee Marvin at his very best. His closing line to Ralph Bellamy is a classic: (as best I can recall) "Some men are born bastards, but you are a self-made man."
Close. He was called a bastid. Then he replied yes, but that was an accident at birth, but that Grant was a self made man.

A bit of a classic, I hadn’t seen it for years.

Tonight I watched the 80’s version Little shop of Horrors.

The Cheap Detective - Movie is a funny spoof of Casablanca and film noir in general. It also has a great caste in some minor roles.

TBH, I'll watch about anything with Madeline Kahn, she really makes me laugh!

1628959106543.png

Wife wanted to go see "Jungle Cruise" in the theater so we did. The Mrs. and I both like both of the leads, so, it made sense. I'd give it a 7 out of 10 - with Emily Blunt getting most of that 7! :001_tt1:

Over the weekend watched:
Respect--overall a silly biopic of Aretha Franklin, but Jennifer Hudson is beyond amazing and is reason enough to watch this otherwise dull movie.
Beckett--is it just me, or is this a straight rip-off of The 39 Steps? I enjoyed it, but there was a scene about halfway through that made me think, "wait a minute, that wasn't Robert Donat."

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. I've seen it several times, but there's always something new to find in it. This time looking up the IMDB trivia file as I watch. I loved the tidbit about Jack Benny and his derby hat. Apparently Kramer had wanted Stan Laurel for that cameo and had already filmed the long shot with a stand-in wearing Laurel's trademark hat. Laurel had refused to work after Oliver Hardy died and stuck to his commitment. Jack Benny was recruited, but had to wear the derby in order to match the shot.

Clueless - We (re)watched it with my 17 year old and 20 year sons.
Good fun
They had only known Paul Rudd from Marvel movies.
(I may be in a minority of guys but I Iike Jane Austen novels:D)

This weekend we watched two darlings of the Cannes film festival. First up was Pig. I was really impressed with Cage and where the story went. Then Annette. I had never heard of the Sparks until this year. A very Shakespearean musical.

Started The Human Condition, the Criterion BD of a 9.5 hour Japanese film from 1956. It might take me a bit to finish as I have to wait until my wife isn't within earshot. I managed to finish part 1 of 6 yesterday when she was out. I hope she has things to do or places to go this week.

Dial M for Middleburgh (The third made for UK tv film in this series with Johnny Vegas and Sian Gibson (and a host of UK TV staples in support, plus Jason Donavon). Another good watch, looking forward to starting the TV show that it spawned as well.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As is often the case with Tim Burton films, an off but very enjoyable film. I think with Tim Burton you either love or hate his style, and both my wife and I love it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm not sure why DC keeps missing the mark where Marvel excels, but it is what it is.

Star power for one. Ok, Idris Elba is good, but not good enough to carry the whole film. John Cena? Hardly a Hollywood brand name. The only other star they really had was Michael Rooker, and the part he played was a throw-away.
The entire opening sequence of throw-away characters was very disappointing.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Across 110th Street. A blaxploitation noir with an incredible cast.
Good motion picture, oft overlooked because of its "blaxploitation" roots. Seems to physically engender the "gritty" feel of NYC in the '70s. Today it stands as a look at what the city is again becoming.

You're right about the cast: Anthony Quinn, Tony Franciosa and Yaphet Kotto. Now all gone.

Top Bottom