What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Good motion picture, oft overlooked because of its "blaxploitation" roots. Seems to physically engender the "gritty" feel of NYC in the '70s. Today it stands as a look at what the city is again becoming.

You're right about the cast: Anthony Quinn, Tony Franciosa and Yaphet Kotto. Now all gone.
Plus a score from one of the great jazz trombonists of all time, J. J. Johnson.

Nightmare Alley from 1947, with Tyrone Power and Joan Blondell among others in a stellar cast. The film is counted as "noir," and I understand why. A very disturbing film. I felt a little queasy after watching it, despite the fact that no carnival geeks are ever shown doing what carnival geeks are supposed to do. I read the novel years ago and so had my own mental picture of that.

Braveheart

Couple of scenes in it that always seem to cause a small, watery, salty discharge momentarily from both my eyes.

It's usually Mel Gibsons attempt at a Scottish accent that causes me to well up (not sure if its tears of laughter or sadness over how bad an accent it is :lol:)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's usually Mel Gibsons attempt at a Scottish accent that causes me to well up (not sure if its tears of laughter or sadness over how bad an accent it is :lol:)
I did a job in Poland with two Scotsmen and we'd go out after work. With every beer they would get harder to understand :lol1:
The upside is they introduced me to Robert Burns poetry.

I did a job in Poland with two Scotsmen and we'd go out after work. With every beer they would get harder to understand :lol1:
The upside is they introduced me to Robert Burns poetry.

I'm the same, I don't have a strong accent but the more I drink the more Glaswegian I get and the harder I am to understand (at least that's what I've been told) 🤣.

Sorry, Wrong Number
Sorry, Wrong Number is a 1948 American thriller film noir directed by Anatole Litvak, and starring Barbara Stanwyck and Burt Lancaster.(Wikipedia)
My wife had recorded it from silver screen classics on speculation and we watched it with our older kids.
I didn't realize it was a film noir until the abrupt ending even though as I was watching I was thinking "hey this is very much like a film noir".
Two abrupt thumbs up.

Sorry, Wrong Number
Sorry, Wrong Number is a 1948 American thriller film noir directed by Anatole Litvak, and starring Barbara Stanwyck and Burt Lancaster.(Wikipedia)
My wife had recorded it from silver screen classics on speculation and we watched it with our older kids.
I didn't realize it was a film noir until the abrupt ending even though as I was watching I was thinking "hey this is very much like a film noir".
Two abrupt thumbs up.
great pedigree. i was in a stage production of this years ago and I believe it was originally a radio play before a movie.

Sitting in the woods in a RV…. watching Jaws. 👍 One great movie that I never tire of. And the mayor’s jacket is spectacular!

E28DE3B0-A1F0-4931-BEAA-6F9FB75529DE.jpeg

Top Bottom