What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

What is the average temperature or weather like in your area?

I live in a 30° C to 48° C, humid subtropical region, will I need to store my stash in cooler condition?
Temperatures in the wooden drawer in a cupboard wouldn't be as high as the outside temperature. I assume room temperatures would be more or less be in a predictable range ( say 72 to 78) anywhere in the world which is fit for human habitation all year around as it would be regulated using either cooling or heating systems.

The drawer I speak about is opened frequently for picking out shave soap. Hence it's also well ventilated.

Storage in attics, basements or garages could be different.

Sent by the Shave Maharaja from my SM-A705GM using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

i decided to try out the difference with the new and the old version,since both were
available in stores here in germany.

honestly i can see no difference between them,

If you take an equal amount of soap with equal lathering skills,the result is the same.

In german formus,many people think that the new one has a smoother glide,and doesnt dry out that fast on the face.

another thing i saw,is that "Tallow" is a very highly regarded ingredient in the us,because many artisans use it.

Well,here in germany tallow is basically a throw away/trash ingredient,the manufacturers buy it very inexpensively,and it is nothing to be sought after or with a bigger "value" in a shaving soap as an ingredient.

So one could argue,that the new version is even more expensive in production and maybe they did it to modernize the soap a little.

Hi guys,

i decided to try out the difference with the new and the old version,since both were

If you take an equal amount of soap with equal lathering skills,the result is the same.

In german formus,many people think that the new one has a smoother glide,and doesnt dry out that fast on the face.

another thing i saw,is that "Tallow" is a very highly regarded ingredient in the us,because many artisans use it.

Well,here in germany tallow is basically a throw away/trash ingredient,the manufacturers buy it very inexpensively,and it is nothing to be sought after or with a bigger "value" in a shaving soap as an ingredient.

So one could argue,that the new version is even more expensive in production and maybe they did it to modernize the soap a little.

Thank you for providing an alternative point of view.

then on the site​
connaught shaving The TABAC shaving stick, stick refill & soap bowl are the old formula. The shaving bowl refill is the new formula

Hi guys,

I think you might be right; the one time when I lathered it with “soft” water, it felt pretty slick as I ran my fingers through it. I have not yet shaved with it, but I did get really poor lather when I tried it with hard water, though.

At the moment I am enjoying my D. R. Harris Marlborough.

OK, you guys have convinced me. When I'm back from vacation, I'll order a new formula Tabac, even though I just opened a tallow refill puck a few days ago. If I were being totally honest, I'd admit the main allure of Tabac for me is the superb mid-century modern design jar and aftershave bottle. Also, the scent is elegant (once it fades a bit), and it's very easy to build a lather with. Other than those (admittedly significant for me) advantages, I could just as well use Williams. They both tend to dry my face a bit, but moisturizer takes care of that.

i love shaving soaps with tallow, dont get me wrong

i was just trying to shine a different perspective on it and the technical aspect that both make good lather.

since i dont think an experienced company like tabac would realease a new soap with a weaker performance.

Of course,they cant be identical with different ingredients,

and Scent/Color seem to be a little different, the new one has a whiter color,the old one has that yellow-ish tint that i like

maybe some things will be better some worse,

but i think that can only be said after a few shaves ;D

Hi guys,

As detailed previously the two most expensive ingredients in Tabac old formula are Tallow and Coconut Oil; both these ingredients have been replaced by cheaper synthetic surfacants in the new formula Tabac. The main German forum I visit has only one positive review of the new formula (not many), however, across about half a dozen of the main wet shaving forums, the consensus from experienced shavers, who have no connection with soap manufacturers, is that the old formula Tabac with Tallow and Cocunut Oil is the one to have. Just saying... :c9:

I see your perspective,

those ingredients arent very expensive,coconut oil as a part of the soap base is also featured in many cheap shaving

creams,that are sold for 95 cents per 100ml (palmolive)

Or for the tallow, the cheap Arko stick,that contains much more tallow than the tabac soap
(50 cents per 75g stick)

So i dont think,that the reason for the new recipe is from a financial position,

i would think that they did it ,maybe to accomodate to a "younger" generation of buyers or change the performance

and we all know that the main cost from soaps/creams doesnt come from the ingredients,but
from the work/production/packaging and distribution.

just trying to look at it from a neutral perspective,

because we as people tend to panic, if something will not be available anymore, and suddenly it is a must have even

if it was not before

greets

Last edited:
So i dont think,that the reason for the new recipe is from a financial position,

i would think that they did it ,maybe to accomodate to a "younger" generation of buyers or change the performance

Not to mention environmental reasons. I love tallow soaps but less face it - if we're to survive on this planet long term we need less planes, less cars, less cows. The first two can be changed/cleaned/improved but...you can't convert a cow.

I think you might be right; the one time when I lathered it with “soft” water, it felt pretty slick as I ran my fingers through it. I have not yet shaved with it, but I did get really poor lather when I tried it with hard water, though.

At the moment I am enjoying my D. R. Harris Marlborough.

So does this mean we can cut our losses and regrets of not hoarding up the tallow version and instead hoard up on the non-tallow version before M&W pulls a SIM vanishing trick on TABAC ?

So does this mean we can cut our losses and regrets of not hoarding up the tallow version and instead hoard up on the non-tallow version before M&W pulls a SIM vanishing trick on TABAC ?

I don't think I would ever purchase the new formula at the price that people are paying in the US. I bought it for £4.99 here in the UK; but if I had to pay $20+ for it, I would just buy an artisan soap instead.

Just curious how is it possible in Europe, of all places, that a company is allowed to completely change a product and keep its retail name?
As far as I can tell, the formula is changed (right off the bat I would say this is a different product, regardless of the end result), the scent is changed, the performance is changed.
And yet, M&W kept its name as TABAC ORIGINAL.

Top Bottom