What's new

Starting my blade test.

Last week I won a blade sample giveaway (thanks again @dmshaver ) and today I started testing. I decided that I will use one soap to test them all and went with Stirling, as it is my most full tub and I know it will get me through all of these blades. For the razor, I am going with the Razorock SS Lupo 72 as it gives me pretty good blade feel without being overly aggressive, and the blade centering on it is more precise than any other razor I own. Thinking I might do a first shave impression with each one, wrapping them back up after completely drying, and then revisit each one later, but I am open to other ideas.
20210730_222118.jpg
Any blade testing recommendations would be appreciated.

First test. Topaz Platinum. Seemed like a decent blade but I did have one weeper on my cheek (which is very of rare for me) and a hint of burn on my neck (which really is not so rare for me).
20210802_080211.jpg

Start a blade and finish it do not switch to an other blade in between.
Some blades start rough and mellow out other blades increase sharpness

and of course you could stop after 3-7 shaves with a blade though I am sure some will last longer.
I may be totally off in my way of thinking, but to me a blade's first shave is the most important one in weeding out the ones that I won't use. If it is bad on the very first go 'round I don't really care if the second or third is better, because I don't want to have to suffer through bad shaves to get to good ones, if that makes any sense.

Looks like a great sample for testing! The Lab Blue in the lower left might be 5+ years old - they package these in plain white wrappers now, but they seem to shave just as well to me.

Maybe try the 7am first... If your skin is anything like mine, it will get tossed after the first shave. Brutal.

Envoyé de mon SM-G991W en utilisant Tapatalk

I may be totally off in my way of thinking, but to me a blade's first shave is the most important one in weeding out the ones that I won't use. If it is bad on the very first go 'round I don't really care if the second or third is better, because I don't want to have to suffer through bad shaves to get to good ones, if that makes any sense.
Rough does not mean bad those blades are in general smoother on the second shave since they loose a coating.
A derby premium shaves better the second shave as the first
A gem se is an other one
Want Sharp out of the gate and increasing try bic
Consistent Kai
Some people cork or hand strop a blade to have a better first.

and of course ideal all blades would be consistent from at least shave 1 to 5 ideal 10

point is if 1 is the criteria you are going to mis lots of fine blades

Last edited:
20210803_051913.jpg

Used the Shark Super Stainless today. Was a bit tuggy and I couldn't get quite to BBS in one trouble spot on my neck, but it was still a solid DFS with no weepers or irritation. Will definitely revisit this one.

Rough does not mean bad those blades are in general smoother on the second shave since they loose a coating.
A derby premium shaves better the second shave as the first
A gem se is an other one
Want Sharp out of the gate and increasing try bic
Consistent Kai
Some people cork or hand strop a blade to have a better first.

and of course ideal all blades would be consistent from at least shave 1 to 5 ideal 10

point is if 1 is the criteria you are going to mis lots of fine blades
Bic Chrome Platinums and Gillette Platinums are my current go-to blades. I'll have to get my hands on some Kai blades. Thanks for the recommendation.

Whenever I'm testing blades to keep from contaminating the results I use the same razor & soap/cream throughout the entire test. Changing either one mid test will affect the results. Use the same blade multiple times till that blade no longer works well & keep notes on each blades performance.

But due to manufacturing tolerances sometimes a blade that didn't work well from one tuck could work well from a different tuck.

I suggest you evaluate at least 2/3 of each option before drawing conclusions. Some brands have QC issues. You should also try a few different razors as some blades are ‘razor-specific.’

My primary criteria for rating blades:
Sharpness out of the wrapper
Comfort/smoothness
Longevity

Mostly, ENJOY the journey!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Bic Chrome Platinums and Gillette Platinums are my current go-to blades. I'll have to get my hands on some Kai blades. Thanks for the recommendation.
If you like gilette platinums
There are dark and light blues I prefer the latter slightly over the former
They both shave a lot like kcg soooooo
Wizamet is nice too try too.

I'm on the hunt for a new blade too, so looking forward to your conclusions. It's more of a tortoise and hare thing for me. 100 pack of blades is 2 years of shaves. I got time to try to figure it out. FWIW

Use the new blade straight through until it's toast. For a lot of blades the first shave is a fouling shot and the rest are bullseyes.

Consider alternating your test blade with your current daily driver. One week the test blade, then a week of the daily driver, then a week of new test blade then back to the daily driver, etc. Super instructive. Yielded some real surprises I don't think would have been noted if it wasn't a back to back evaluation. Also makes it easy to sort and prioritize where to go from here.

Take notes, have fun.

If you like gilette platinums
There are dark and light blues I prefer the latter slightly over the former
They both shave a lot like kcg soooooo
Wizamet is nice too try too.
The ones I have are the dark blue. I did like the King C's that came with my KCG razor as well.

Top Bottom