What's new

Starting my blade test.

20210820_173110.jpg

Another really nice shave. I'm going to put the Lord Super Chrome right there with the Dorko.

20210821_225852.jpg

Super Max Titanium. I'm actually not sure how to feel about this one or where to put it in the lineup. My first stroke made me think it felt tuggy, but during my rinse I felt like it was a very close, first pass shave. Not like what I'd expect from a dull/tuggy blade. I had no weepers at all, but while reapplying lather for my second pass I felt a little hint of burn from the soap. The next two passes seemed nice and smooth. Ended up with a BBS shave. Still no weepers. Got a normal amount of sting from the aftershave, but once the menthol wore off I wound up with some razor burn.

20210826_175709.jpg

I took a couple days off because I was missing my other soaps and razors, but I'm back at it today with the 7am Plus Hi Platinum. I really liked this blade a lot. Gave me a bunch of those strokes that make you wonder if it was actually cutting, and it definitley was. On my neck I had to be careful on the ATG pass and ride the guard at a pretty steep angle. If I tried to ride the cap it felt like it wanted to dig and get a piece of me. Had a few weepers but I am sure it was technique and no fault if the blade. Considering that this is a blade that I have never even heard of, it has been the biggest surprise of the bunch. It goes in with the other blades in my top tier.

Last edited:
20210828_070331.jpg

Today was the Super Max Super Stainless. This one felt dull. Like a blade that was already on its forth use. Had to go over areas a bit more than usual, and I still have some micro stubble here and there. That being said, I had a comfortable shave with no weepers or irritation.

20210830_092218.jpg

I realy liked this one. Middle of the road sharpness and very smooth. Absolutely no irritation, even on my trouble spot on my neck. Another one for the top tier group.

20210831_220944.jpg

Had an excellent shave from the Big Ben blade. Another one that didn't feel real sharp but gave me a BBS shave with no weepers and just a touch of irritation in one spot that is almost not worth mentioning. Hard to place this one. Not sure if this one is in the top of the middle tier or the bottom of the top tier but it's could really fit in either one.

20210905_060950.jpg

Gillette Silver Blue goes in the top tier. Nice blend of sharp and smooth. A lot like the Nacet. Third pass was basically just a touch-up on my neck.

20210907_045204.jpg

Astra Superior Platinum. Not a fan. Had to do a lot of cleanup work after the third pass which ended up causing some irritation on my neck, so I quit before I got a true bbs shave.

View attachment 1313644
Back at it with the Persona Super. This is the one that has "for hospital use" printed on the blade. This one felt pretty sharp and very stiff. Zero blade chatter. During the first pass I noticed that I could really go on auto-pilot with this one. I could have called it done with a perfectly fine, socially acceptable shave after that first pass. It was actually a very nice close first pass. The funny part was that the next two passes didn't really seem to get the remaining micro stubble any closer. On the ATG pass I tried riding the cap and riding the bar, but it didn't really seem to matter. Still ended up with micro stubble in 40%-50% of the shaved area.
The Personna Med Prep is known for the "Comfort Coating". The first shave may not seem as close as the subsequent shaves do. The Med Preps are very good blades IMHO and tend to last longer than average.

20210907_184436.jpg

This morning was the Derby Extra. Not too shabby. Got a nice comfortable shave with just a bit of irritation on my neck. Not bad though. Solid middle tier.

I won this month’s giveaway so I might have to steal your idea and test them out. I may just keep notes and post it all at once rather than one by one but we’ll see. I’m with you that committing to using the same razor all the time might be dull. I’ve really enjoyed reading this so keep it up!

I won this month’s giveaway so I might have to steal your idea and test them out. I may just keep notes and post it all at once rather than one by one but we’ll see. I’m with you that committing to using the same razor all the time might be dull. I’ve really enjoyed reading this so keep it up!
That is a good idea. Then you can do it whenever you want, and not feel like you need to post. I originally started this just as a way to keep notes that I can look back on, but a couple guys started following it, so I tried to stay on task as much as I could and get it done. So, that being said, this morning's shave will finally be the last giveaway pack blade to get the "first impression" test, and I am soooo ready to use my other soaps and razors again. Lol! Stirling Mountain Man is one of my favorite shave stuff scents, but after using it so many times in a row, it's getting put away for a while. Lol! When I go back and revisit each of the blades for a few more times I'm not going to keep a standard testing regimen or anything. They are going to get used in whatever razor and with whatever soap I feel like using, and if I like them I'll keep the wrapper, if I don't, it goes in the trash. It will take months to go through them all, so I'll probably just check back in sometime late this year or early next year with a final favorite. Good luck with your test!

20210908_193012.jpg

OK. Final giveaway blade to test, and I was not a fan of this one. It felt plenty sharp but I ended up with irritation on my neck and both jawlines. I still have micro stubble on 30-40% of the shaved area, and the initial splash of aftershave was fierce. This one goes down at the bottom with the first blade that I started this test with.

So that's it for now. If I happen upon any blades that I've never tried before, I'll come back and add them, but for now I have a few months worth of multi-use, everyday testing to do. It won't be controlled like the first impression test was so I'm not going to bore everyone with daily posts about it.

Take care, gents.

Top Bottom