What's new

Starting my blade test.

20210803_202453.jpg

The Nacet Stainless are my favorite so far. Nice blend of sharpness and smoothness right out of the wrapper. Barely got a sting from the aftershave afterwards.

My recommendation: save the Nacet for last, otherwise you may loose interest in testing the other blades. 😉
I think you may be right. I got such a good shave from the Nacet that this morning, 24 hours later, I barely had any stubble. So, instead of trying to test another blade I grabbed one of my regular blade/razor combos to do a quick once over touchup before heading to work.

20210807_061515.jpg

Today was the Rapira Swedish Supersteel. Pretty good. To me it felt about like the Shark Stainless. Better than the Topaz. Not as good as the Nacet. No weepers, and just a little bit of irritation on my trouble spot on my neck. Felt a touch scratchy in that area, even on the first, WTG pass.

20210808_155703.jpg

Today was the Wilkinson Sword. Another excellent shave. No weepers and no irritation. Right up there with the Nacets and Voskhods. Starting to wonder if my results are having more to do with using the same razor everyday than the blades themselves.

20210810_045428.jpg

Not too bad. Shave felt pretty good but a little while after finishing up, a bit of irritation on my neck became apparent. Servicable but not one of my favorites.

View attachment 1309171
Today was the Wilkinson Sword. Another excellent shave. No weepers and no irritation. Right up there with the Nacets and Voskhods. Starting to wonder if my results are having more to do with using the same razor everyday than the blades themselves.

To verify that you may want to go back to the Shark etc to see if that is true?

However I do find that Voskhod, Rapira and Wilkinson sword German blades to be extremely similar in my usage.

To verify that you may want to go back to the Shark etc to see if that is true?

However I do find that Voskhod, Rapira and Wilkinson sword German blades to be extremely similar in my usage.
Yeah. Once I weed out the ones I know I really don't care to try again, I'll go back and try each of the others for three or four more shaves.

20210812_051142-jpg.1310665

Today was the Gillette 7 o'clock. This one felt really sharp to me. Like I had to use an extra light touch or it would try to dig on the ATG pass. Had one small weeper but I quickly adjusted my technique and made it through with no burn or irritation. Though I don't think I would use it in this razor again, I think this one will shine in any of my other razors with a tighter blade gap or less blade feel.

Attachments

• 20210812_051142.jpg
    20210812_051142.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 161
20210817_224353.jpg

Back at it with the Persona Super. This is the one that has "for hospital use" printed on the blade. This one felt pretty sharp and very stiff. Zero blade chatter. During the first pass I noticed that I could really go on auto-pilot with this one. I could have called it done with a perfectly fine, socially acceptable shave after that first pass. It was actually a very nice close first pass. The funny part was that the next two passes didn't really seem to get the remaining micro stubble any closer. On the ATG pass I tried riding the cap and riding the bar, but it didn't really seem to matter. Still ended up with micro stubble in 40%-50% of the shaved area.

Darn… I was just getting into it!
I am especially interested to see how the best blades perform over several shaves, and how long each last and how consistent they are.

Our posts must have crossed midstream.
Glad to see you’re back at it.
How was the straight razor?
It turned out to not really be my thing. I always wanted to see if I could do it. It was kind of a curiosity of "If the fit ever hit the shan and I couldn't buy blades, could I live with a straight razor?" kind of thing. Once I knew I could do it, I didn't really have any care to do it anymore. Lol!

20210818_155805.jpg

Today was the Dorko Stainless. I got a nice shave with this one with just a hint of irritation and one tiny weeper, both barely worth mentioning. Overall I'd say it felt a little better than the Shark and Rapira, but is right there at the top of that group. Not quite breaking into the Wilkinson, Voskhod, Nacet group.

Top Bottom