What's new

Kaweco liliput anyone? Daily carry really?

I posted in previous threads of my low cast fountains, and how the cheapest one is my favorite with a bobby nib. This is the only higher prices pen that I'm curious about. The Shabazz review doesn't help. Haven't looked into the real high end customs because I have to many hobbies right now lol. Copper or brass are my choices for the pen. Also does anyone really pocket carry a fp daily? I'm in a construction setting but I would if it's possible.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I wouldn't have carried a fountain pen daily when I was working (heavy engineering environment). However, now I'm unable to work (I consider it retired on health grounds, rather than on permanent sick), I'm quite content to mooch around the house or go shopping etc with one in my pocket.

My pocket (fountain) pens of choice are both quite slim and metal bodied.

IMG_20201118_134830_edit.jpgIMG_20201118_134759_edit.jpg

Baoer 388
Ohto Tasche

I can't comment on the Liliput, but don't find the Tasche to be in any way restrictive.

When I was working, I preferred ballpoints, and quite liked the Zebra Expandz as a diminutive pocket pen.

My job for a satellite communications company is almost all indoors in front of computers, but I do have to go outside from time to time to look at our antennas or do a few other tasks. At work or at home, I almost always have at least one fountain pen in my shirt pocket, sometimes two, plus a mechanical pencil and perhaps a ballpoint. From my ideas of what construction work is like, I might think twice about carrying a fountain pen in that environment.

I have a Liliput, but almost never bother inking it. It writes well enough, but there is no converter option that works well with it, so you're stuck using short cartridges. Yes, you can refill the cartridges with a syringe if you want to use an ink that doesn't come in cartridge form. It doesn't have a pocket clip, even as an aftermarket accessory. I did find that by spreading the removable clip on a Fisher Bullet style Space Pen you can fit it on the Liliput to make it suitable for shirt pocket carry. You probably risk scratching the finish when you do that, but I managed not to do that with mine. I suppose, because of its small size and screw cap, you could carry it without a clip in a pants pocket, which I normally wouldn't recommend for a fountain pen. The fountain pens I carry in a shirt pocket are larger than this, and most are plastic rather than metal.

I've got and use on a regular basis a Monteverde small inkball know as the Poquito. When posted it's a decent size pen and has a good clip. There's a ball point and a slightly bigger variant called the Poquito XL.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Shirt and jacket pocket - yes. Pants pocket? I wouldn't do it, but I'm sure someone has. The Lilliput would be as good a fountain pen as any to try. I've always thought they were cool little pens. They look good with the dinky #5 nibs that Kaweco insists on putting on most of their pens and the copper ones develop a nice patina.

Too small for me, I've got a Kaweco Sport and that's as small as I'm going.

I did notice a clip @Slivovitz --> JetPens.com - Kaweco Liliput Capped Pen Clip - https://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Liliput-Capped-Pen-Clip/pd/19391
Not sure what they mean by "capped" though.
Interesting. I wonder if that was available when I improvised with the Space Pen clip, which must have been a couple of years ago by now. [EDIT: yes, the photo I found was taken in August, 2016. How time flies.]

Not going to worry about it now, though, as I've got a viable solution if I every use that pen again. And the black of my clip goes with the black of the pen.

Here's a photo. Liliput (fountain pen) on the left, Fisher Bullet Space Pen (ballpoint) on the right. Gives an idea of how tiny this thing is. One good thing, though, the Liliput cap screws on in the posted as well as capped positions.
Liliput3 (1).jpg

Shirt and jacket pocket - yes. Pants pocket? I wouldn't do it, but I'm sure someone has. The Lilliput would be as good a fountain pen as any to try. I've always thought they were cool little pens. They look good with the dinky #5 nibs that Kaweco insists on putting on most of their pens and the copper ones develop a nice patina.
i HAVE A brass one and love it, and being an electrician I MUST obtain a COPPER one too :)!!!!

Love it! I carry mine in a little pocket pouch with a notebook and some other odds and ends I like to have with me. There’s just something so pleasant about writing with this little guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Lilliput is thinner than I would like. I have a desk job so I dont really know about construction. I ALWAYS have a fountai pen in my right front pants pocket. And it’s almost always a Kaweco Sport. I have both the classic plastic and a couple of Al Sports. My favorite is the blue stonewashed.
I actually prefer refilling cartridges with a syringe. You can use any ink and have a decent quantity

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I keep a Kaweco sport brass sport in my bag all the time. It is my back up for the Sailor Sapporo.

I used to work in the receiving dock of a grocery store. I used to use two fountain pens to record the shipments in the logs.
Used a black lamy filled with black ink and a red lamy filled with red ink.
They worked really well for the 4/5 years I was there. As for size they didn’t seem much bigger in my shirt pocket compared to a ballpoint. A small Lilliput would be just as good but the no clip might have been a deal breaker.

I’ve used a brass Lilliput for quite a few years, carried around in a passport sized TN. It’s been prefect for daily journaling and the odd doodle. Only recently it’s started suffering hard starts and put me off a little. I have a feeling it from a build up the Sailor Black nano ink so possibly a good clean will fix it. A perfect Sunday job.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I’ve used a brass Lilliput for quite a few years, carried around in a passport sized TN. It’s been prefect for daily journaling and the odd doodle. Only recently it’s started suffering hard starts and put me off a little. I have a feeling it from a build up the Sailor Black nano ink so possibly a good clean will fix it. A perfect Sunday job.

Definitely needs a cleaning. Maybe floss the tines with a brass sheet.

I cleaned a couple pens yesterday and you’re right, good little “weekend reset” kind of chore.

Top Bottom