What's new

Muhle is launching a LE R41 Stainless Steel

Got the GS R41 in today. Beautiful finish. It can pass for chrome but the underside of the head is not mirror finished. The picture shows the handle it came with but I already loaded an Astra Superior and changed handles to the beautiful Timeless Crown Ti.
GS R41.JPG

Okay, I'm new here and one of my other hobbies my wife and I share has clearly corrupted me. What is FFFMM? In my other hobby, that would be shorthand for something I expect is completely different. 😁
Check out the WIKI Abbreviations and Acronyms. HERE :wink2:

EDIT:
Or do a search (top right of page).

M

member 119848

It´s like a small challenge @3oclockShadow
For fun. But also because a lot of us have too much gear. Sometimes it´s nice to settle on the same setup for a few weeks to reach consistency, or to achieve a shaving routine once again.
I know it can seem geeky at first. But it brings us back to some kind of normality ;)

Changed handles to a Timeless Crown Ti. Reduces weight from 3.9 oz to 2.7 Grip is outstanding. The shave using an Astra Superior platinum blade was great. Years ago I thought nothing touched the R41 for aggression in particular the 2011 version which had a very short top cap. This shave was about 7/10 very smooth and very close. However, for aggression it doesn't even come close to the Stirling AH razor but the results are very similar. Fit and finish are outstanding. The polishing job is second to none but the bottom is unpolished but still great. Blade alignment is not an issue and zero chatter.
GS R41 Crown Hdl.JPG

Time to pass the final frontier (aka a fresh Feather meets R41GS)...

I slowed down, took my time and applied a super light touch. Three passes, drama-free. I was rewarded with one of the closest shaves I can remember. No nicks or cuts. Just this special airy face feel which only a R41 gives.

20210327_150052-01-01.jpeg

M

member 119848

@uptown , does the R41 surpass the Timeless SLIM in terms of blade feel and efficiency?
(I believe you owned the Slim if I´m not wrong)
Nice pair with the Crown handle by the way! ;)

@uptown , does the R41 surpass the Timeless SLIM in terms of blade feel and efficiency?
(I believe you owned the Slim if I´m not wrong)
Nice pair with the Crown handle by the way! ;)
I think so. I do only two passes and light touch up and the feel it great. I love the combination of the SS R41 head and the Timeless Crown Ti handle. Perfect balance. The SLIM is Timeless's best razor but the R41 beats it out.

Along with the Muhle GS R41 razor I received included as a free gift were a pair of Muhle (razor blade) cufflinks. They are really beautiful but unfortunately I don't own any dress shirts that use cufflinks.
View attachment 1242784
Cool move.
Saw these in their online shop.
I was tempted to buy a pair of these cufflinks since I wear this type of shirts for business purposes now and then... anyway, no such free offer included for the german based customers :(

Last edited:
I should have bought one of these, but did not know they came out. I do have 3 R41 different handles and tend to use it w the Grande handle (my fav; plastic handle is a bit unusable for me).
R41 gives me the best shaves....just going slow 2+ passes. Now I wasted my $ in a Yaqi adjustable (useless) and an Occam (need to experiment more)....... so now I regret spending $$ in 2 mediocre shavers instead of a good one. But then again I just got the RR Lupo SS with dual head.

Maybe for Black Friday they discount the new R41 SS. Looks great and those cufflinks are rad.

Cheers.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I would be very interested in a comparison between the original R41 GS and the DS Cosmetics clone.

Anyone has them both?

I have both and will revisit this thread in a week, today I will have another shave with the R41, on Wednesday I will probably shave with the Z0. I usually shave every other day, 3 days is for the R41, it is very thorough.

My general impression of both so far is that the Game Changer .84 OC and the Executive Shaving Outlaw might be minimally less thorough, but also way less aggressive and much more forgiving minor mistakes, much easier to shave with.

Don't get me wrong, I like the R41. I started shaving with it after the R89, my first DE razor, didn't give me the close shave I wished for. Used it for years and still love it, but I find there are definitely better designs out there by now. Of course it's all the usual YMMV, just my opinion. I will probably try a Tatara Masamune Nodachi OC next.

Edit: I find that there are minor differences between Z0 and R41, the R41 original felt a bit smoother. But I will give you a more detailed report in a while, didn't shave with the Z0 as I got lots of other razors to try in between. :)

My general impression of both so far is that the Game Changer .84 OC (...) might be minimally less thorough, but also way less aggressive and much more forgiving minor mistakes, much easier to shave with.
+1 on ^^this^^

The GC 0.84 OC regularly gives nice and close shaves wihout fuss (the results are not as close as with a R41), same is the case with the Jaws. Don't implying the R41 is the better razor, I would say it's different. This is why I won't part with any of my GCs.

Unfortunately in continental Europe the prices asked for a GC OC have become insanely steep in the last months (currently 100-110 EUR)... in comparision the retail price of the GC .84 OC on your side of the pond (currently approx. 65 USD) is a stellar bargain, IMHO.

When compared the finish of the GS is superior to the finish of the GCs. But this doesn't impact the results of the shave at all.

Looking forward to reading your review.

Last edited:
Top Bottom